Archinect
anchor

12" Smoke Drop

protean

Hello All,

I'm a junior architect at a small firm. When doing an apartment renovation, we often design a kitchenette to have a 12" non-combustible smoke drop.

Can anyone point me to where any law or codes specifically mandate this? I have looked through the MDL and the NYC Building Codes and I can't seem to find it. 

Thanks!

Sep 28, 12 5:28 pm
sahar

It is in the Interior Environments Chapter of the Building Code. I think that is Chapter 12, towards the end. 

Sep 28, 12 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Sahar caught it - although I think that part of the code only applies when there is more than one family occupying the dwelling unit (apartment).

Sep 29, 12 10:57 am  · 
 · 
sahar

Apurimac may be right. It is commonly referred to as a smoke soffit, so I can see it not being required in 1-2 family buildings. I would refer to code to confirm that. I work primarily in multi-family where it is standard. I think HPD also requires this feature in their design guidelines.

Sep 29, 12 4:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: