Archinect
anchor

Any sucess stories on SCI-Arc housing situations?

ham-ARC

The title says it all. Has anyone found any housing for a reasonable price close to SCI-Arc? If so, How?

May 22, 07 3:43 am
Devesas

not yet...anyone looking to share a place with a M 24 from NYC please let me know!! I am clean and sociable. I will be in the M+M program and starting the M.arch I in the fall..luk to everyone.

May 22, 07 9:01 am  · 
 · 
andrew1974

Deveas-

M 33 here from nyc...taking m&m program and starting march1 in sept.....also looking for room/apt space to live...almost had a place but i am allergic to dogs/cats so it didn't work out....i'm still looking around for a place within walking/biking distance....not much on craigslist...where in nyc are you? i'm in brooklyn....coffee/drink?

May 22, 07 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
andrew1974

ha! no worries tumble! that place looked pretty....wish i wasn't allergic!

May 22, 07 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
esoterrorist

Hey guys! I am in the same boat. But with so many of us looking I am sure we can scrape together a group and find a place for three or so people (to cut down on costs). I am looking for a place that is within walking/biking distance. I will have a car but would rather not use it.

For me the question is one of move-in date. I am looking at moving out there around mid August, so I can keep my job out here and try to make as much money before I get out there. I am coming from Atlanta, GA.

I have found some places through online Apartment finders (they can send you a hard copy of LA apartments through their website) but they are expensive for a single person $1300-$1700. It would be best to get a couple of people into one apartment and split the cost.

So if anyone is interested in grouping together, I can do some research and find us a place.

Now who wants to be on my team? :)

I am a 23yr old male, clean and polite but I am not going to lie I like to be a man around town... only when it is not interfering with studio. I like to go out and have fun but not be ridiculous. Roommates don’t have to be the same way, I will work with anything.

Maybe we can all find a place in the same building...?

May 22, 07 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i would live with tumbles in a heartbeat. just keep it down mdler!

May 22, 07 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
andrew1974

esoterror-

i'm in...no pets for me though....i also want to be within walking/biking distance....i'm not out on the town much but if you are, no prob...just looking for a place to have a bed/shower... keep it simple

May 22, 07 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
esoterrorist

Tumble,

how are you planning on turning your space into a two room setup? You said something about rolling boxes... are you talking about rolling your bed out every night and then rolling it to the corner every morning? will there be any privacy?

May 23, 07 9:55 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

you're assuming that there will be sleep involved.

May 23, 07 10:16 am  · 
 · 
esoterrorist

i don't need an apartment, I just need a cot in studio lol

May 23, 07 11:24 am  · 
 · 
jiminy cricket

I am also moving to LA for Sci_Arc M Arch 1, M+M and am looking for a space with a bunch of roommates. Tumbleweed's space looks beautiful; wish it was cheaper. Hmm, business concept: Could you sell access to the pool?

May 23, 07 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
grid

there are a ton of lofts around sci-arc. most have phone #s outside of the building saying they are available... bound to find something just driving around down there.

May 23, 07 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
andrew1974

kinda neat tumble....i still can't believe somebody hasn't jumped on that...

i'm heading out to LA sometime in the beginning of July to find a place before m&m....will anyone else looking for a place be around then?

Also- i still haven't received any fin aid info? I emailed the office 2 days ago...no response....anybody heard anything?

May 24, 07 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
jiminy cricket

andrew1974, i'll be driving out then, but hope to have found a spot already. should i keep you posted? i also haven't gotten my financial aid pack yet...oy vey...

May 24, 07 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
andrew1974

jiminy- def keep me posted...where ya driving from?

May 25, 07 12:04 am  · 
 · 
winifred

Does anyone know anything about the Old Bank District- is it a good area to live?

May 25, 07 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
winifred

Thanks Tumbleweed! It's in the old bank district- newly renovated and affordable. I have high hopes! Glad to hear the area is approved by you.

May 25, 07 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Um....I know I've not lived there yet but between my 6 weeks time spent there total and all of my friends that DO live there, I would say that the phrases "10 minute drive" and "real safe" are both very relative. Depending on how far west of SCI-Arc you are, you could encounter any number of bad blocks and/or enormous amounts of traffic between your home and school. Still, it does sound like a good deal for you, so it is certainly worth pursuing.

May 26, 07 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
dabean9

I am looking for a place too. I will be starting mARCH II in August.
I definetly am looking for shared living as well, and would like to live close as posible to Sci-ARC. I live in Columbus, OH so it's kind of hard to get the scoop on living situations out there. I will probably go out there sometime in June or July to check things out before I move out there. I am a 26 year old guy who's pretty laid back, easy to get along with (so I think). If anyone has any leads or is looking for same kind of living situation shoot me a line.

[email protected]

May 29, 07 9:59 am  · 
 · 
yellowtrace

Devesas, Andrew1974 and any other New York kids soon to be sci-arcists...I'm heading out for MArch II (also currently in New York)... did you ever make plans to get together in the city before the big move?

May 30, 07 12:55 am  · 
 · 
andrew1974

I'm all about it....i have a flexible schedule so can meet when it's convenient for you...

May 30, 07 7:19 am  · 
 · 
Devesas

Yeah same here...just let me know...andrew I think my spam box deleted your email the other day...also if anyone is looking for a roommate let me know [email protected]

Jun 1, 07 8:22 am  · 
 · 
andrew1974

devesas- you spammed me?...sheesh....no worries, i can't remember what i wrote in the email....

Jun 2, 07 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
Devesas

time is almost here for M+M and other summer programs...hows people doing on housing?...I am still looking for a place...anyone need a roomate??...please email me... [email protected] if the other link doesnt work!!!

Jun 4, 07 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
jiminy cricket

whew, what a headache; but success! I finally have a place in a renovated church within bike riding distance. Psyched. Along the way I met a very helpful person who gave me a list of places to look at. Here it is if it can be helpful to anyone:

Alexandria Hotel
Brewery
Rosalind Bldg/Million Dollar Bldg
Security Lofts
Little Tokyo Apts
Downtown LA news - listings

Jun 4, 07 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
esoterrorist

If i am moving out there in August, and the leasing agents won't know if they have space available till July... IS THAT TOO LATE, AM I GOING TO BE SCREWED?

Jun 5, 07 9:50 am  · 
 · 
KEG

that IS the worst case tumbles...

I live in the valley....eso....don't do it to yourself!

Jun 5, 07 11:29 am  · 
 · 
futureboy

i lived in koreatown when i was at sciarc....it's a pretty decent location. cheap. quick 10 minute drive to sci-arc. plus it puts you equidistant to los feliz and silverlake. definitely not chic...but it was a decent place.

Jun 5, 07 11:35 am  · 
 · 
futureboy

i never had any problems with traffic...plus i got to see all the homeless people bedding down or waking up on my way to school (depending on when i was going home or heading to school).

really around downtown was fine as long as you were local roads. the second you had to freeway it was a pain. i had friends living in santa monica and commuting to downtown. that was kinda stupid.

Jun 5, 07 11:39 am  · 
 · 
KEG

k-town has the best deals ($/ft). you can feel [relatively] secure and you are reasonably close to downtown while still have good access to the rest of LA. Personally I'd go a little east of downtown and look at the Lincoln heights area. Some great 1910's-30's pads to be had. Get in before it's gentrified.

Jun 5, 07 11:45 am  · 
 · 
ltj2

I am a little late on this thread, but I am looking for a roommate/housing...will be starting MArch 1 and doing M+M... female 22 yrs, from New Jersey, just finished undergrad at Duke. If anyone has any suggestions etc., let me know.... [email protected]

Jun 7, 07 12:56 am  · 
 · 
symmetry

Im currently working abroad, and will be in LA early august (at the earliest) for MArch II. Hopefully this is not too late to find a shelter.
Dabean9 what year did u gradute from OSU?

Jun 7, 07 3:20 am  · 
 · 
dabean9

I graduated in 2004

Jun 7, 07 9:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: