Archinect
anchor

integrity and searching for jobs

G4tor

Hi all,

Though I currently have a job in the architectural field, I'm in the midst of searching for another job. To put things bluntly, my boss isn't the best boss to work with. In an architecture firm that has been doing business for 20+ years, I'm the third most senior staff there (and i've only been there for half a year, guess where all the other people went?).

Anyways, enough of my rant. The question I have is regarding what I should put in my email when replying to job postings. Currently, I have been putting something like this (see below) in my response:

"Though currently employed, I am exploring other opportunities that might be available that would allow me to pursue LEED AP credentials. I would appreciate it that you do not contact my current employer as a reference."

However, I understand that any firm would expect company loyalty and i don't know if i sound like i'm very loyal in my response.

If you guys can provide any feedback/response, it would be greatly appreciated.

Plus, have you guys heard? I'm looking for a job in the SF bay area! Any leads would be tremendous.

Sep 27, 12 12:04 pm
rationalist

In your initial email, don't bother to put not to contact your current firm. This is assumed. Also, I'd go for a bigger objective... pursuing LEED AP credentials only takes a little study time, it's not that hard. Say something about doing more sustainable work is better because it relates to the practice, not to your credentials.

Sep 27, 12 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

job board at aia-sf is the most obvious - networking is best:

http://www.aiasf.org/events/calendar/ - also Ideate - Revit user's group meetings at AIA-SF is good for that too

Sep 27, 12 12:24 pm  · 
 · 

Oh this is tough.  If you send an email then they are totally going to tell on you.  You current employer (and probably everybody else) will then know that you are a job slut and you'll be totally screwed for the rest of your life.

Sucks, yo!

Sep 27, 12 12:27 pm  · 
 · 

Not so big of a deal just mention the positive side of things you are looking for more challenging work that focuses on sustainability and one or two other areas. Maybe list the experience in your resume as SF area firm specializing in blab la bla, generic not specific, think of the confidential ads on the AIA job board as a guide. This may be one way the other is to omit the previous employer but this is not good since you create a gap and diminish your experience.  Keep the cover letter positive and mention how you are going to help the prospective employer succeed. Jobs are not about you but how you can help the employer.

Sep 27, 12 12:46 pm  · 
 · 

Your 'previous employer' on an application is the job you had previous to your current job. (make sure this is the case on your linked-in/facebook/archinect as well because they will check those). If you get an interview, you can talk about your current employer in general terms in regards to what you've learned at that job, but that should be all they need to know. 

In terms of loyalty, I've learned that it's a bit of an unwritten rule that putting in 1 year or more at an office demonstrates loyalty. Anything less, you should consider not listing it on your resume. In turn, 2 weeks notice also demonstrates loyalty and professional etiquette. No employer should expect more than that. 

Sep 27, 12 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Use a phrase like "Confidentiality requested" when mentioning your current employment situation, and leave it at that. Don't simply assume they won't contact your current boss unless you tell them not to. But when you tell them not to, you have to be very diplomatic about it.

Sep 28, 12 1:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: