Archinect
anchor

japanese architecture sites

johnszot

traveling to tokyo/kansai/nagoya in a few weeks and was hoping to get some good insider tips from those in the know - any good design destinations that might not be found in tourist guides, etc?

May 20, 07 9:44 pm
boxy

go to kobe.. tadao ando is everywhere. plus amazing beef for $150 a plate!

May 20, 07 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
Sconie

johnszot, is this your first time?

May 21, 07 1:35 am  · 
 · 
Sconie

johnszot, is this your first time?

May 21, 07 1:35 am  · 
 · 
guiggster

Check the archives as well. Get up Mt. Rokko to see the Ando's Rokko chapel and Rokko housing I, II, and III. If you get a good tour book there's not going to be many sites that are still "secret" in those regions.

May 21, 07 3:25 am  · 
 · 
johnszot

spent some time in tokyo before, but not kansai or nagoya - will probably hit osaka and kyoto while in kansai, but considering kobe as well...

May 21, 07 7:57 am  · 
 · 
Sconie

i was in tokyo and kyoto this past march. Since it was my first trip to japan i was looking to absorb all the architectural staples but also any and all designed objects and spaces: fashion, interiors, toys ect. a friend of mine(who works in design) tossed me a 'no mad' map he picked up for himself while living in tokyo. he lived there for two years and swares by it to this day.

no mad tokyo
where to find no mad

check out superdelux too if you havent already, pecha-kucha is on the last wed of every month.

super-delux

May 21, 07 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
karchitect

You can catch [http://www.mori.art.museum/english/contents/lc/index.html]this[/url] exhibition of architecture at Roppongi Hills.

May 21, 07 9:29 pm  · 
 · 

You might find some inspiration in our latest feature on Atelier Bow-Wow

May 22, 07 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
william Smith

Here are some nice pictures of the most popular buildings in Japan, that might help you to make your choice.

http://www.4-construction.com/en/article/japanese-architecture/

May 17, 11 10:33 am  · 
 · 
da_la

When you get off the train in Osaka, the outdoor tourist information box has a free map of all ando's work in the area and how to get there.

Also archilab (Orleans, France) had an exhibition a few years ago, you can check out the exibition publication..

May 17, 11 2:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: