Archinect
anchor

Jobs in Nashville, TN - WTF?

wareaglearch

Right now, I would say Nashville, TN has got to be one of the worst cities (of the top ~20 cities in the US) to be an architect in. For years, the Middle TN Architecture profession hinged on healthcare jobs...In particular, healthcare corporations like HCA dictated the pace that most firms operated by.Now that healthcare in general is stagnant, what will happen to the middle TN architecture jobs? Nobody is hiring. The closest architecture school is over 3 hours away. Glut of homes and office buildings there were manhandled by developers. People around Nashville think architecture is a luxury service. What gives? To boot, of the "high profile" firms that are here...Gresham Smith and Earl Swenson to name a few...they are stuck in an era that suits this southern wasteland.

Sep 25, 12 12:38 pm
RH-Arch

What's with the angst? 

Sep 25, 12 2:37 pm  · 
 · 

Move, you can always visit on holidays

My stuff is packed and waiting for those magical words “we would like to offer you….” If you want to stay in any profession you have to be willing to be mobile. 

If you are stuck where you are try to wait it out. I think the healthcare slow down is the result of uncertainty of the election. If Obama loses and the healthcare act repealed then the needs of the healthcare industry from nursing homes to HMO call centers will be very different.  All sectors of the industry are on edge and are circling their wagons and hoarding resources because they have no idea what will happen come 2013. I think there will be a lot of work to do in 2013-2014 either way the healthcare legislation goes.  The industry needs to know what the regulatory environment will be like before investing in infrastructure.

Sep 25, 12 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

the senate would need to overcome a 40 vote filibuster to overturn obamacare.  i don't think anybody honestly thinks they can overturn the health care bill even if they somehow get a republican majority in the house and senate and romney gets elected.  even that is a very unlikely possibility....

the 'fiscal cliff' however is a more honest point of concern.  something is probably going to have to be done, and we really don't know what congress will agree on.  they could just let the country get screwed.

Sep 25, 12 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
i r giv up

healthcare isn't stagnant.

the portion of my portfolio that was a bet on obamacare not being repealed is pretty rockin' right now...

Sep 26, 12 9:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: