Archinect
anchor

Architectural stock photography

joshdk

I work as manager for one of the larger internet stock photography sites, and in my free time i'm 2. semester of a constructing architect course.

Lately, i've had a few photographers and people in that field approach me with the idea of setting up a royalty free stock site aimed completely for architects who need to use clipped photos for visualizations and models...etc.

Is anyone willing to give some feedback as to how useful that could be?...and how it could be best suited to whatever needs you may have..

I'm not so far in my education that i have any personal need or experience with it, so, please feel free to share any thoughts you may have..

Cheers,

Josh.

May 18, 07 6:08 am

Check out htp://www.sxc.hu as a basis. But expand on the buildings and streets and cities aspect.

And what the heck is a "constructing architect course"?

May 18, 07 10:42 am  · 
 · 
e

Would architects actually pay for this?

Royalty free photography is the lowest common denominator of the stock photo world. To get a large enough photo for an architectural presentation will set you back at least a couple hundred per image. Rights managed will break the bank. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see architects running out to buy stock photos. Thoughts?

May 18, 07 12:38 pm  · 
 · 

would architects really pay for this? I'd say no. I thought he was talking about something free like the Stock Exchange (address posted above). I use that all the time, and would love if there were something similar for architecture. But is it important enough to architects to pay for it? Probably not. On the other hand, all those rendering firms in China might do so, since it's a reimbursable and they're working remotely.

May 18, 07 12:55 pm  · 
 · 

i would use something similar for people/other entourage to stick into renderings... free pictures of people walking, sitting, running, etc. set on a white background... probably wouldn't pay for it though... it's too easy to find something workable on google and then erase the background in photoshop...

May 18, 07 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
e

rationalist, royalty free means that you still must pay for a photo at a given size/resolution. once you purchase the image, then you may use it however you want in as many things as you want.

rights managed imagery means that the stock house will apply a rate based on how you are using it, where it it is placed in a brochure or website, how big it is, who it is for, and how many times it will be used. for permanent installations, time limits are set of the use. if you wish to use it for something else, then you must purchase new rights.

May 18, 07 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
joshdk

it would be royalty-free and it would be tailor made for architects who can't be bothered spending time in photoshop. the photos would be high quality and high resolution, hundreds of times better than anything google could offer, with clipping paths ready.

it would be a free, exchange-based database if photographers would upload pictures for free, but they won't. however, in my experience in the ugly world of microstock sites, they will do it for ridiculously small amounts of money...

keep your thoughts coming, i welcome your collective interest.

May 18, 07 4:41 pm  · 
 · 

e- thanks for the clarification. As of yet, I've been too poor to use anything I have to pay for, whether rights managed or royalty free or otherwise!

May 18, 07 4:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: