Archinect
anchor

over the hedge

emaze

does anyone else communicate with their boss whose office is just on the other side of the wall nearly completely by email?

May 17, 07 3:48 pm
joshuacarrell

Your boss communicates with you?? How did you manage?
j

May 17, 07 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
postal

i have similar communictions with co-workers.

i also call other people in the office and introduce myself with my full name and company. engineers get a kick out of it.

May 17, 07 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

no, we just yell back and forth and occasionally lob pieces of office detritus over the wall.

May 17, 07 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I have a client who worked for Dreamworks on 'Over the Hedge'

May 17, 07 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

here's the deal ... yes, it seems crazy to send e-mail to somebody who is sitting 9 feet away - provided s/he is there. but, in this crazy profession, few people are in their offices/workstation steadily - and , if they are, they're likely to be busy. if i just walk up and start speaking or asking questions, i'm likely to interrupt their work or train of thought.

i send non-urgent e-mail internally all the time, no matter how closely, or far apart, we sit -- that way, i'm not interrupting their work and they can get back to me with the information or answer i need in due course.

e-mail doesn't have to be impersonal -- it's a convenience to both parties, if they will look at it that way.

May 17, 07 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I'm not exactly sure who my boss is.

May 17, 07 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

its not crazy you have to document just about everything. in my office, which is an open studio, people call one another and i can hear the conversation they are having because i can hear each person talking.

May 17, 07 4:39 pm  · 
 · 

yeah I had back and forth emails with my former director. He's classically send numerous emails (read bullshit) from his remote pc at about 8pm for me to see first thing in the morning. Thank god that fucker is gone.

btw I'm baaaaaaaaack (@work & on archinect)

May 17, 07 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

i like to schedule delivery of certain emails so that it appears (to those who look) that yes, i was working at 2:30am and yes, i was up again working at 7:30am.

i occasionally use gmail chat to talk with my boss who's directly across the room from me.

oh wait - that's not my boss i'm chatting with, it's that hot myspace girl i found this morning while my emails were delivering themselves.

my bad.

May 17, 07 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i've had jobs where i only used email and never spoke to anyone...no one in those offices was important enough for me to break the aural bliss provided by my ipod.

sometimes i miss those days...

May 17, 07 7:50 pm  · 
 · 

There is only a single pane of glass between my boss and I. This has taken a lot of getting used to. Email would be nice, but just when I've forgotten that he's *right there*, he'll speak loudly to me through the glass and make me jump.

May 17, 07 7:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: