Archinect
anchor

Got a Job...not in architecture.

konkreet

A few months ago I was in desperation mode trying to figure out what I was going to do with my life seeing that I had been spit out into the world after completing my BS Arch in December and trying to find a job with my degree felt like finding a job with a high school degree; except with a debt of over $20,000 looming over my head and a clock ticking toward my first payment date. Finally, a fine university accepted me, not into a grad program but rather into it's facilities department where I could use my extensive software skills from AutoCAD to InDesign. 

So I got a job. I describe it as a graphic design position with an emphasis on technical drawings (more so maps than floor plans). The issue is: my passion for architecture persists. I do not know if in the future I will pursue a masters and dive into the field. My questions to you all:

What can I do to keep my arch skills and portfolio sharp? Should I run off and do projects on my own? Where can I get ideas for these projects? Should I try to rub elbows with people in the field now that I live in Chicago?

Sep 22, 12 8:19 pm
thakopian

I know how  you feel, seems like a lot of us are in the same boat. I would just look at competitions and submit designs to stay current with trends and have an updated portfolio. I am thinking about designing a house just to add to my portfolio as a sample of high-end residential to show off to employers in that sector of the market.

Talk to people and figure out what's happening and what you can get involved in. Maybe charity work or volunteer to help out a friend with a project just to get some exposure. Go to the local universities and ask about opportunities there.

As long as you can do useful work for people like prepare documents and you have a few years of experience doing something related to architecture then you can probably pick up an architecture job down the road. Might not be the best job but it will be a starting point.

Sep 22, 12 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

get awesome at arcgis type map making terrain and data viz software.

after that, just be awesome.

and dont die.

Sep 23, 12 3:44 am  · 
 · 

if you're even close to an architecture-like job, you're doing pretty well. when i came out in the early 90s i sold cookies (job1), books (job2), and music (job3) in a mall. 

absolutely keep in practice, whether that means taking small projects for kitchen renovations or media center cabinetry. invent projects just for practice. and definitely get connected in the local design community.

be the first person someone thinks of when they're ready to hire because they just saw you at an aia program this week. 

if your current job is open to is, get access to software likely to be used in offices and - if you don't know it - learn it. 

this can be a valuable time to sit back, take stock, learn what skills you're missing, and prepare yourself.  

Sep 23, 12 8:40 am  · 
 · 
Quentin

OP, good job landing a decent job. My job I took out of college in no where near related to architecture, business analyst. At least with your current job, you get to hone your skills in CAD and InDesign, software that's used in the arch industry. I would take the above advice and just keep a look out for a better job. Most firms understand if you can't land a job in the industry. Only bad part is you have to compete with people who did manage to land a job and have that exerpeince. Something I'm going through daily. Womp womp.

Sep 24, 12 8:35 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: