Archinect
anchor

Approaching the job application process

Tasneemz

I noticed that there is a different application process in different firms. Most require emailing resumes and samples, some mail, others require complete portfolios through email,...etc. With all these specific guidelines in sending application, do you ever bend the rules and say, mail your work even if they asked for emailing?

While almost all provide a specific "jobs" email to send the material to, how do you address a specific person at the firm? I usually try to address the principal. 

I only wonder because some people advice that you try to catch the principal's attention by mailing or emailing him/her directly, because if you mail a package with their name on it, they are sure to open it and read it themselves. Is it ok to do that even if they asked to email your work to the "jobs" email?

Thank you

Sep 22, 12 5:21 pm
Tasneemz

Also, how long do you wait to apply again if you did not get a positive response the first time?

Sep 22, 12 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
thakopian

I address the "hiring manager" or something along those lines for cover letters. If you can find out who would be reviewing your materials then definitely address it to them. Makes you look more knowledgeable.

Don't just send work to people if they don't ask for it or if you are not the perfect match for the job. Sometimes you are perfect for a company but they aren't hiring so you can give a surprise package email or mail to them. Otherwise I wouldn't send in unsolicited work as they would probably ignore it.

Follow up in a week or two if you must but if there is no response then don't count on anything. Try again in a month or two with better materials packaged slightly differently than last time.

Sep 22, 12 11:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: