Archinect
anchor

I get by with a little HELP from my friends

quixotica

No offence meant to anybody, just an interesting observation. after typing in "help" into the search for topic section, there are 1605 (including this post) topics that contain the word help in their title or initial post.

thoughts?

May 16, 07 11:14 am
quixotica

god, no offenSe to my spelling either.

May 16, 07 11:16 am  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

so, in essence your asking for help in understaing this phenomenon of excessive asking for help on this board?

but seriously: asking for help with an autocad problem, construction detail issue, etc. is what this board is for, and if they're are 1605 posts related to that who give's a shit. ....but, asking for help deciding on career choices, grad school choices, etc. is downright terrifying as the career of architecture/design/art is absolutely dependent on being a strong and assertive decision maker. if you have to ask if you should be in this profession, persue this profession, etc. you probably shouldn't be.

May 16, 07 11:32 am  · 
 · 
quixotica

Yes work, i guess i was more interested in the topic of help in and of itself. has this board become what it started out to be? How have things like quick access to a lot of people eroded our self reliance. How many people ask for help on a board first rather than searching for a little information on their own.

granted my help search doesnt prove anything as any use of the word resulted in a hit, but is all this help what develops a comunity or more of a mutual dependence?

May 16, 07 11:46 am  · 
 · 
investigation

i believe there are generally two types of 'nectors out there - those that are seeking advice (generally noobs) and those that like to offer advice (generally diehards - 500+ posts) - and these two groups feed off of each other, making archinect what it is. as someone who doesn't really fit into either of these categories and really comes just looking for good discussion of architecture, i can sometimes find the noobs illustrator questions distracting (i generally don't even bother opening blatant advice threads) and the diehards' advice equally patronizing, but hey, if that's why people come, so be it.

May 16, 07 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

whats wrong in asking for 'Help'? well i said it again

May 16, 07 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

Doc I'm not saying there's anything wrong with asking for help. I'm curious though as to at what point we started trusting the judgement of an anonomous group of strangers over our own.

May 16, 07 2:38 pm  · 
 · 

I guess when I ask for help here, what I'm really looking for is *information* that will better inform my own decision. I don't trust that a group of strangers has better judgement than me, but I know they'll have had a much wider range of experience than mine, so they may know something pertinent to my situation that I have not come accross.

As for investigation's analysis, I'd say there's a third type: those who are here to connect, and are willing to both give and recieve help, information, and amusement because we're tired of our silent little cubicles.

May 16, 07 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

About the AutoCAD issue I agrea that help shuld be found on a fora as this, a qualified answer but also a further explanation as to AutoCAD it's about knowing so many details that help is alway's looked for. But strangely many of the questions are allready answered in the help dialog box, in fact when you just read that, most questions shuld be answered and more.

May 16, 07 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

exactly vindpust, now is this just people being too lazy to use the help feature on their software, or by instead of asking a machine, by asking people in the forum you are creating an identity for themselves (either through the asking or answering of the question) and therefore helping a community like this one to grow? but at what cost, your own self reliance?

May 16, 07 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
investigation

agreed, rationalist. i wonder if archinect would even exist if most of us weren't fettered to our computers for 8+ hours a day. i don't know if it's a good or a bad thing that so many of our acquaintences are mediated through a little box. a sign of the times i guess.

May 16, 07 3:01 pm  · 
 · 

I don't think it would, really. Or it would be like the AREforums- people creating an account, posting two questions and an answer that were relevant to them at the time, downloading a few files, and then forgetting their password and not worrying about it. I think people who are disconnected from those around them have always been driven to look further for friendship... for instance, who were the kids with the HAM radios conversing with people on the other side of the world? The kids who had trouble making friends. And because it's now pretty much a *societal* problem, that we've got to be super-productive, tied to our computers, more and more people are feeling something lacking in their lives. Particularly during those working hours.

May 16, 07 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i like my friends who live iin my computer. hi friends.

May 16, 07 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

hi vado.

May 16, 07 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

are friends electric
May 16, 07 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Well --- it seem art realy is not going to be on canvas , for future the writing realy must make pictures even more difficult to read than from a book. please tell me a bit more about what you are missing.

May 16, 07 5:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: