Archinect
anchor

NYC sublet - seeking shelter

So...we have jobs, we have suitcases full of clothes, we have friends that have kindly loaned us their couches and showers, but the time has come to find a space of our own...

so, at the moment the GF and I are looking for a short-term sublet.

if anyone knows of a room for rent, a studio sublet, an affordable 1 bedroom apartment...anything that is big enough to accomodate a couple short term (the rest of May, all of June, maybe July), please reply. we've just about exhausted craigslist, made attempts at other listing sites, but nothing has worked out yet.

perhaps a shot in the dark, but worth a try nevertheless...

thanks,
Aaron

May 15, 07 7:38 pm
surface

If I hear of anything I will send you the details. Good luck...

May 15, 07 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

look for shares and pads in the village voice. just make sure you look online on monday or tuesday before the print version is distributed to beat the crush.

May 16, 07 11:53 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I gave you guys an honorable mention in a MySpace bulletin I sent out. If anyone gets back to me I'll let you know.

May 16, 07 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

If I may jump onto this thread, I'm looking for housing in NYC as well, beginning July 1st. I have a spot in the dorms at Columbia for the summer program, but I'm still exploring other options. My budget is about $700-800 per month, and I have a cat.

May 16, 07 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin
Look no further
May 16, 07 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
Murrye

i know craigslist is a pain in the ass, but i found two sublets on there when i moved here. you just have to keep emailing a million places, and if you're already in the city and can meet the tenant, even better. there should be a lot of students leaving for the summer and looking to sublet right now...

May 16, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
AP

thanks everyone. all input is certainly appreciated. we've found that village voice, craigslist and most other sites are littered with brokers and not owners or property managers. even the 'temp/sublet' sections lead you to a broker in most cases.

so, after a couple days of hitting it hard with no real luck, we're back with the friends for a day or 2.

back to the grind tomorrow. hopefully by monday (when i start my job) we'll have a settlement of some kind...

May 17, 07 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

it's a rough market ap..

keep at it though. i looked at 6 places and responded to 20 or 30 ads
before finding my current place. i found that writing a personalized
form letter with links to some of my pages on the web (flickr, friendster,
my work etc) got more response.

probably harder to find shares for couples though i imagine.

just keep tryin though

May 18, 07 2:26 am  · 
 · 
Murrye

i found a couple of sublets with my ex boyfriend. i just wrote a nice letter that explained i had a job with an architecture office, and he was going to law school, that we're very neat, etc... a lot of times people will be flexible with the dates too, so just because it doesn't perfectly fit your time frame, it's worth a try.

May 18, 07 10:04 am  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

hey! send me an email ASAP. i got a place in the upper west side that i need to sublet starting in June! let's talk

May 18, 07 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

by the way, the apt is in columbia housing...and the offer is good to anyone looking for a place for the summer.

THANKS

May 18, 07 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
AP

just sent you an email shaybug. thanks for the encouragement everyone.

anyone have thoughts on the Financial District / Battery Park? I know it's not the most happening area, but there seem to be some nice units for reasonable price down there...

May 18, 07 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

I have heard only that they can be cheaper because.. er.. the environmental cleanup after WTC was not as thorough as it should have been, and there is some concern about toxins and residual dust that's blown in through the windows from the site. When I hear people talking about why they would not want to live there, that is why, not because it isn't "happening." I don't know with any certainty whether that is truly of any concern however (as opposed to dusts being blown in to apartments in any part of the city.)

May 18, 07 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
AP

done and done. both via craigslist:

1 - this week we're subletting a studio in the Lower East Side (near the whole foods on Chrystie St., directly across from the FDR Park soccer field). 1 block to the F train, 3 blocks to the 6 train (which i take to work, just a few stops away).

2 - this weekend we move in to our apartment - a large studio with a sleeping loft, super high ceilings, located in Gramercy Park. less than 1 block to the 6 train, a short walk (5-6 blocks) to Union Square...

we were the first to see the Gramercy studio. the guy that showed us said that units in that particular building always go to the first viewer...mostly because they are big and well located for the price.

best of luck to anyone else in this situation. LiG - drop me an email when you are closer to arriving. in the meantime I will keep my eyes and ears open for any housing situation that may suit you.

May 22, 07 9:06 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Congrats on finding a place, AP. It sounds lovely, and that's a nice area.

May 22, 07 9:34 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

grammercy- wow, you've scored into a prime nabe. not bad for a kid from F L A.

May 22, 07 10:06 am  · 
 · 

congrats AP... sounds like a great place... how was your first day at work yesterday?

May 22, 07 10:16 am  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

That sounds awesome and seems like ya'll getting settled pretty quickly! Now I want to move to NYC.

May 22, 07 10:41 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Well done, AP. I love the area around Grammercy Park.

May 22, 07 10:51 am  · 
 · 
Murrye

sounds awesome! i work at union square, great area, so convenient to everything (the village, etc.) and transportation.

May 22, 07 11:12 am  · 
 · 
AP

thanks for the kind words everyone. although we're enjoying the sublet / LES neighborhood, soccer across the street etc., it will be nice to be in a place of our own, with our furniture, books and whathaveyou...

first day was good, although abbreviated...long story...but i'm pluggin away today. just finished my overpriced sushi lunch...nice and full and ready to finish detailing the stairs/stoop on this brownstone conversion...

May 22, 07 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

by the way, sublet taken by another archinector. thanks :)

May 22, 07 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
24out1in

ap-

any suggestions for another FL resident moving to NYC? Did you rent a moving truck or ship everything?

May 24, 07 9:49 am  · 
 · 
AP

24/1:
after extensive research, we found that a moving truck (loaded ourselves) was the most affordable option. after truck rental and gas, we still paid half as much as the next alternative (PODS or equal). there was a thread about this recently...

also, since we didn't have a place to live upon arrival, we arranged to store our stuff up here (actually, it's in East Flatbush, Brooklyn, a pain to get to, but it only cost $1 for the first month, no contract required)...

check out the moving thread, and feel free to email me.

May 24, 07 10:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: