Archinect
anchor

California or Texas License?

wrought.n

I registered in California when I first started taking my exams several years ago as I was living in LA.  Since then, I have moved to Texas and am about to complete my last exam.  I am now faced with the dilemma of whether I should get my California license by completing the CSE or just register with Texas, get my stamp and be done with it.

The one wrinkle is that I want to move back to California in the next two years.  Having a license in either state would be beneficial as both are large states with demanding economies.  But is it better to have a license in the state I ultimately want to practice in, or stand out a little when I am back in Calfornia by having a license in a different state that has had more work than most and draws attention from firms that practice nationally.

I am not losing any sleep over this, and I know I ultimately won't be stamping any drawings anytime soon, but wanted to hear thoughts.

Sep 21, 12 10:32 pm
urban.theory

I think it depends.  If you are working for a firm in Texas, and they're paying for your exams, it would make sense to get your Texas license.  It could also mean getting an increase in pay for having a Texas license.

If none of the above is the case, then it would make sense to go ahead and take the extra exam to get the California license.  When you move back, you'll have that CA license in hand for your next job.  It's always better to be licensed in the state in which you are practicing--the fact that you have a TX license means nothing if you're trying to practice in California.

Either way, you should maintain your NCARB registration.  This would allow you to get reciprocity in other states, so that the only thing standing between you and licenses in most other states is a bit of paperwork and a bit more money.  I've known multiple people who needed to get a license in another state and had to pay thousands of dollars in back fees to NCARB to get licensed because they didn't maintain their NCARB registration.  Sometimes their firm pays, but other times they had to pay out of their own pocket.  You would also be more marketable, because that's less headache a potential firm or client would have to deal with if you did work outside the state.

Sep 22, 12 12:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: