Archinect
anchor

interviews with starchitects - what to expect?

say you had an interview for a possible internship with a big-name design firm. what should you expect? how would you prepare?

I assume it would be a good idea to know their work - but how well? should you be ready to get into a discussion on theory?

when talking about yourself, should you emphasize your design skills, your academic knowledge, your model-making abilities, or read a list of modeling programs you can use?

and what kind of suit would you wear? would you even wear one? it's hot out!

May 15, 07 3:54 pm
mightylittle™
May 15, 07 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

don't expect to talk about theory. don't think you have to know everyone of their projects. do plan on being ready to talk about your work and which computer programs you can use and how well. if you have a lot of good model photos in your portfolio then plan on talking about how you made the models. they obviously want to talk to you for a reason, their goal is to make sure that you actually know what you're doing well enough to talk about it.

May 15, 07 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

also, dress well. you might not be expected to wear a suit, but definitely dress stylish.

May 15, 07 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
investigation

speaking with absolutely no experience other than hearsay, bring in a set of cds if you have past cd experience. starchitects hire so many kids fresh out of school with no real experience that if you can prove you know how to put a building together (let alone a set of drawings), it's a big leg up, imo. (this is really true of all archtiecture job interviews. a cd set will go a lot further than a sexy rendering.)

May 15, 07 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

Obviously it depends on the particular star-chitect. I've interviewed with a couple and in every case, the star-chitect was more laid back and cool than the partner who "screened" me.

I think the key is to be able to speak well about your own work and to show enthusiasm. They're not going to care whether you've read Tafuri or not. They have to see that you'll be a valuable contribution to an intense office environment.

They'll probably have limited time, so they'll count on what the partner says and their own quick first impression. I doubt they'll want to spend hours (or even more than ten minutes) going through the nuances of your portfolio.

I'd recommend focusing on a few key projects that demonstrate your thoughtfulness, your graphic sense, and your production ability. Dress well. Smile.

May 15, 07 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

I have to disagree strongly with Investigation. If this is an internship position, then they'll be looking to you to build models and touch up renderings (most likely.) I doubt they'll hire you solely because you've assembled a set of CDs.

Bring the CD set if you have it, but I'd just point to it: "I've done CDs too."

Many starchitects count on the kids fresh out of school to do a lot of their renderings, models, and graphic work. In my experience.

May 15, 07 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

DITTO farwest1...my point exactly

May 15, 07 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

it all depends on who you're meeting with. is it a lieutenant or the name on the door? either way get ready to prostitute yourself and abilities...

May 15, 07 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I agree, it all depends. I'd say wear jeans and put your feet on the table.

May 15, 07 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Big name design firms do CD's? That's new to me.

May 15, 07 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
investigation

i had a friend who was recently turned down from a small nyc starchitect office for "lack of technical experience" which all says to me that there is no telling what will appeal to a particular employer, starchitect or not.

i believe the cult of renderings is propogated in architecture schools, but there is a whole brave new world of professional practice, even in starchitect's offices, after graduation.

May 15, 07 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
garpike
read a list of modeling programs you can use

This is most helpful.

May 15, 07 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

for many big jobs, all construction matter is done by the local coporate architect's firm. the stararchitect juz periodically submit some chicken sketch to the coporate firm for approval.

May 15, 07 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

expect them not to be there...

May 15, 07 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
cloak and dagger

be calm and articulate...research the firm heavily - not about their design "theory", but more about their design process, the programs they use (you can find this out), the projects your interviewer has worked on, the projects they currently have in the office...and yes many of them do their own CD's, so technical aptitude is a must...

May 15, 07 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

technical aptitude is a must, but unless you've got a bit of experience, they aren't typically going to be looking for that as your role......and they'll probably scoff at what you've detailed (i've done it myself) and say that you might as well not have even bothered drawing it...unless it's a cool fabrication detail or something that is a more challenging detailing exercise.

May 16, 07 9:20 am  · 
 · 
boooyaka

they are assholes... you just have to hold your own and not be intimadated... All they have on you is age!

May 16, 07 10:46 am  · 
 · 

the starchitect will not be there to interview an intern. you will be quizzed by someone from HR and maybe a partner if they have a particular project they want you on.

my advice is to be completely confident when talking about your work even if you are not as these pratices hire on who impresses them. show up with a paper portfolio as they will not always have a computer in the meeting room and to oust an employee from his/her desk will only make you a pest!

demonstrate you can render, cad, and model and they'll snap you up.

as for dress, smart-casual is fine. suits are for bankers!

don't stress about it; it's just a job interview. and be a bit flirty if you can get away with it!

May 17, 07 10:19 am  · 
 · 

and....

when's the best time to ask them to pay for your flight?

May 24, 07 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

Wasn't Sarcastic Wednesday yesterday?

May 24, 07 3:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: