Archinect
anchor

Jerry Falwell Died

KEG

founded the "Moral Majority"...yeah...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wn_report/2007/05/15/2007-05-15_rev_jerry_falwell_dead.html

LYNCHBURG, Va. - The Rev. Jerry Falwell, who founded the Moral Majority and built
the religious right into a political force, died Tuesday shortly after being found unconscious in his office at Liberty University, a school executive said. He was 73.

Ron Godwin, the executive vice president of Liberty University, said Falwell was found unresponsive around 10:45 a.m. and taken to Lynchburg General Hospital. Godwin said he was not sure what caused the collapse, but "he has a history of heart challenges."

"I had breakfast with him, and he was fine at breakfast," Godwin said. "He went to his office, I went to mine and they found him unresponsive."

Falwell, a television evangelist who founded the Moral Majority, became the face of the religious right in the 1980s. He later founded the conservative Liberty University and serves as its president.

Falwell survived two serious health scares in early 2005. He was hospitalized for two weeks with what was described as a viral infection, then hospitalized again a few weeks later after going into respiratory arrest.

May 15, 07 1:54 pm
lletdownl

i cant touch this one

May 15, 07 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I hope he finds the heavenly reward he spent his career trying to deny to others.

May 15, 07 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

i'm looking forward to seeing what all of the talking heads on the conservative side of the spectrum have to say about this one.

May 15, 07 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

DITTO that LIG!

May 15, 07 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

"so long jerry!"

May 15, 07 2:04 pm  · 
 · 

brilliant, cris.

May 15, 07 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

LOL

Great one!

May 15, 07 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

ha ha ha, yeah, i remembered the whole tinky winky controversy and luckily i found the perfect image.

May 15, 07 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

hahahha...thank you Cris.

LiG- well said.

the amount of hate that man perpetuated is despicable.

I wonder if Jim Baker is the next to go...

May 15, 07 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, you know, i'm not the type to be happy @ the news of a person's passing, but this guy was an asshole.

May 15, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
santa monica

"AIDS is the wrath of a just God against homosexuals. To oppose it would be like an Israelite jumping in the Red Sea to save one of Pharoah's chariotters."

- Rev Jerry Falwell

Jackass.

May 15, 07 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Agreed. He was a charlatan and an embarrassment to everything Christianity is supposed to stand for.

May 15, 07 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

i know, it sounds sick....but I think this country is a better place today.

objectors....you can start throwing stones at me now...

May 15, 07 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, read all of the loving and caring christian-like things that he's said here.

May 15, 07 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

omg....I can't read that crap and keep working....it's so infuriating I want to scream *in a Teletubbie voice*

from Wikipedia...
A February 1999 article in the National Liberty Journal, published by evangelical pastor Jerry Falwell, warned parents that Tinky could be a hidden homosexual symbol, saying "he is purple—the gay pride color, and his antenna is shaped like a triangle—the gay pride symbol."

A spokesman for Itsy Bitsy Entertainment Co., who licenses the characters in the United States, said it was just a magic bag. "The fact that he carries a magic bag doesn't make him a homosexual. It's a children's show, folks. To think we would be putting sexual innuendo in a children's show is kind of outlandish."

May 15, 07 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

WOO HOO! DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD BITCH!

May 15, 07 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

pat robertson should be next... if falwell was despicable (which i agree, he was) then i dont believe there is a word harsh enough to characterize pat robertson.

im feeling better to see so many people thinking like i did... my first reaction to reading about Falwell's death was not a negative one.

May 15, 07 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

wtd/LiG- i agree, he was as hypocritical as they come.

was there a naked secretary who discovered him?

May 15, 07 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

My first thought when I read the news was my characteristic, "yay!".

If there is a God, and if there is any justice, God will make Jerry sit for a very long time in whatever purgatory there is, so he can think long and hard about the terrible things he did and said to other people.

May 15, 07 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
jwillefo

HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 15, 07 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

great.

that means the rapture happened. oh well. nothing i can do now... at least it was after mid-reviews...

May 15, 07 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

I love you liberal 'nectors!

I don't have to feel sick when I shout "Yesssssss!" -a-la Napoleon Dynamite- when I read that this POS died.

May 15, 07 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

If there is a christian God dubk, I'm sure Jerry is burning in hell.

May 15, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

If God has a sense of humor, he'll send Rock Hudson out to meet Falwell at the pearly gates.

(Of course, when it's my turn, God would probably send Falwell out to meet me at the pearly gates.)

May 15, 07 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

The man is dead! Have some de... just kidding.

fart.

May 15, 07 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

It's a children's show, folks. To think we would be putting sexual innuendo in a children's show is kind of outlandish."

May 15, 07 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

yeah, those two are definately gay, i mean just look at the sweaters.

May 15, 07 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

are you kidding?!?!?!

gay men tend to have much better taste than that! My fabulous friends would never wear those sweaters.

May 15, 07 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
Mulholland Drive

Falwell had "a history of heart challenges"...no sh*t Sherlock.

Falwell grounds out to first. Pat Robertson steps up to the plate with James Dobson now on deck.

May 15, 07 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

GOOD!

what liar is next

May 15, 07 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
Cissellicious

Thank God

May 15, 07 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

see u in hell jerry

May 15, 07 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

there is no hell Jerry just continued the lie that there was
nobody knows people who abuse power like that will not be remembered fondly

where is his grave, so we can have a new place for spitting grounds

May 15, 07 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
simples

the question is, IF he does make it to heaven (huge IF), how long will it take for him to realize that it's not what he expected, and that he has been wrong all his life...will he ask to leave!?
i am sure "Liberty University" was his own little personal heaven...

May 15, 07 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

in more important news... lindsey lohan was voted in maxim magazine as the hottest woman alive.. uh... right....

May 15, 07 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

where's tinky winky's purse?

May 15, 07 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
Mulholland Drive

I am sure Jerry Falwell has his arms open wide looking right up at us.

May 15, 07 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
garpike
May 15, 07 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

heaven is just as unfeasible and also a part of Falwell and his ilks lie to try to keep us obedient to social contact.

Brights are on march

May 15, 07 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
jwillefo

Don't forget William Donahue

May 15, 07 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

yeah, but i am for one glad. hate monger.

May 15, 07 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I am the last person on earth that will say "i'm not a hate monger". Disliking that which is evil is not a bad thing.

May 15, 07 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

it's not your place to decide that I can't decided if he's in, or if there is, a heaven or hell.

I think the man caused an enormous amount of damage and pain. I could care less about heaven or hell, but I am glad that he can't directly hurt anyone anymore. Unfortunately, I'm sure his minions will carry on his ideals, continuing to spew hate.

May 15, 07 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

btw, that was obviously to j

May 15, 07 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

you guys are playing into 'their' game
you realize that by using there mythological words you only spread the virus they started

ya i agree WhatToDo.

May 15, 07 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
Mulholland Drive

Jerry Fartwell helped usher in a new era of social intolerance, dumbed-down public discourse, and of course, religious neo-fascism. I'm glad he is gone myself.

May 15, 07 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

the thing i find really sickening is how the mainstream press approaches this. they are all stuff about how big a important a part of separating church and state he was and seem to have a positive slant to that like they were writing to a nation of theists or something.

well except for post-left news sites like indymedia gnn or infoshop, that are underground and obviously with out the profit driven bias.

May 15, 07 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

un-separating

what bryden said.

May 15, 07 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vtBn36livYJeRryAnDpAtSitTinInAtReE[/url]

May 15, 07 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
DaMmIt!
May 15, 07 7:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: