Archinect
anchor

impermanence of architecture --a new paradigm

cipyboy

part of architecture's core principle is its pursuit for eternal longevity.

I have read an article from Harvard Design Magazine citing the emergence of a new paradigm- IMPERMANENCE

" by the 20th century, newness and perpetual progress had thoroughly replaced beauty, virtuosity and eternity as the ideals to be pursued. The impermanence became the dominant temporal paradigm. Meanwhile the cultural reception of architecture in museums, universities, publications by critics..." - legitimized this 

Lets discuss.

Sep 19, 12 9:00 pm
RH-Arch

I would say its new in the sense that it largely came about post world war in the McDonalds culture that thrived. It seems like a rather outdated idea to be published now. But really, impermanence is the wrong word. Its cheapness, when I think of impermanence in an architectural sense, I think more of temporary structures of other civilizations and nomads, not thinks that are just poor quality and easily decay.

Sep 20, 12 12:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: