Archinect
anchor

Summer plans (2007)??

there have been mention on a few threads (mostly the school blog) about folks plans for the summer.

What not...share them here.

What are your summer plans? You managed to snag a paying job at the office of a starchitect? European or Asian travels? Bum off and surfing in the Pacific?

May 12, 07 3:15 pm
eastcoastarch03

heading on a cruise to jamaica and the caymans. 5 days.

other than that, just saving up at the firm for my OSU payments for school this fall.

May 12, 07 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

After my 30th birthday in Amsterdam, I'm going to Finland for a week to see Aalto buildings in Helsinki and Jyväskylä.

It'll be a nice trip before I'm trapped in the suburbs of Detriot for the next two years.

May 12, 07 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Moving from Chicago to NYC on June 30th.

Enrolling in Columbia's summer program from July5th through August 3rd.

In the meantime, hopefully doing one or more of the following:
1) Finding a job with an architecture firm.
2) Finding a permanent place to live.
3) Meeting new friends and exploring the city's considerable eating and drinking venues.

May 12, 07 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I'm goin to China for a summer arch. program and hopefully a job abroad.

May 12, 07 9:14 pm  · 
 · 

east coast - congrats on the cruise...i'm sure you'll enjoy

May 12, 07 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

NYC work work work

Deep Sea Fishing off of Savannah, GA

May 12, 07 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

Moving from L.A.- roadtripping back to the Midwest with my gal

3 weddings, 1 memorial and 1 graduation- Buffalo, Fort Wayne, Chicago, Wisconsin and Columbus, OH

Living with g.f. in Baltimore- July

Moving to Ann Arbor- August > school

May 13, 07 12:44 am  · 
 · 
Lego Builder

Im working 12hrs a day remodeling a warehouse - then summer school 4 classes. i cant wait till fall to begin so i can catch a break

May 13, 07 1:15 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

thanks architechnophilia. just hoping i get my new camera body before i leave, so i can get some more great photos.

May 13, 07 1:21 am  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

apurimac, ditto.

where will you be?

i'm hitting shenzen, beijing, hong kong, and shanghai over 10 weeks.

May 13, 07 2:23 am  · 
 · 
justavisual

getting back to LA after moving around for a year and a half (london, nyc, rome). working all summer and excited to do so.

May 13, 07 4:17 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

working double ot to bust out a project that's taken too long as it is...
working on a remodel for a neighbor.
and saving it all up so i can take that 3 month vacation to der schweiz, austria and norway...

May 13, 07 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
cloak and dagger

waiting...and weighting...i'm so jealous of the travelers! good luck to you all!

May 13, 07 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

SOM DC

already moved into baltimore and pretty much taking a few days off 'til i start.

May 13, 07 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
The Thriller in Manila

hooefully SOM DC.

May 13, 07 11:00 pm  · 
 · 

same office...guys know each other?

May 13, 07 11:08 pm  · 
 · 

Saving for grad school. Finding somewhere to live for grad school. Learning how to ride my bike in traffic. Losing weight. Getting my website up and portfolio and resume redesigned.

May 13, 07 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

redesigning my portfolio as well - hopefully doing a couple of competitions. preparing myself mentally to reapply to grad school.

and hopefully finding a better job!

May 14, 07 7:49 am  · 
 · 

i'm feeling old. summer means it's hot, but little else. same hours, same setting, same old _.

May 14, 07 7:58 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Catching up on lost sleep, and refamiliarizing myself with the taste of beer. Walking the dogs, camping and mountain biking. I'll be in D.C. for a week and Florida for a week. Also, taking a summer studio 3 nights a week. Redoing the patio and back yard. Getting back in pre-archischool shape. BBQing. Napping. Making love.

May 14, 07 10:36 am  · 
 · 
keopi

copenhagen! (DIS)

May 14, 07 11:02 am  · 
 · 
fine line

I was planning on working at OMA for a month or two. I'm a second year architecture student, have had previous experience (3 months) at a large firm. Anyone rate my chances?

May 14, 07 11:03 am  · 
 · 

Steven I share your pain. The first summer I experienced during full time employment saw me turn into a grouch. The weather was ideal during the day for anything but work. Now I just enjoy the extended day light hours by spending the evenings after work at the park, or hiking

May 14, 07 11:10 am  · 
 · 
KEG

fine line- planning on? does OMA know about your "plans" for said "month or two"?

May 14, 07 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
fine line

um, no... I'm waiting to get my portfolio together (just finished final project) in order to put in with the CV. Summer plans have been a bit screwed up, which is why it's so late.

May 14, 07 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Landscaping the yard of my new house, riding my bike then taking lots of holidays in the fall ( mt. biking in Winthrop, Wash, Durango Colo.Whistler, surfing in Hawaii)

May 14, 07 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

the ARE

May 14, 07 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
starrchitect

Whore mongering.

May 14, 07 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

i'm gonna start it off with a 5day hike to Machu Picchu. Going next week!

After that, it's all downhill from there... work, class, hopefully summer exploratory program, GRE prep

May 14, 07 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

work...drink...sex...hangover...work...drink...sex...hangover...work...

May 14, 07 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

#3 cures #4

May 14, 07 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
jjlee

internship in Barcelona with EMBT

May 14, 07 6:02 pm  · 
 · 

is that whore one word or two? And is it limited to location?

May 14, 07 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

how are you guys getting all these internships abroad?

May 14, 07 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
jjlee

send your letter of intent and cv and portfolio to the places you want to work and hope. ohhh and be prepared to not get paid for anything...ever

May 14, 07 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

i guess my question was too vague...

assuming a lot of these are relatively short term internships, how can you guys afford to take the summer off (without pay), the flight, accommodations, a bit of side travel, possibly maintain apartment at university, etc. etc. etc....
....with the amount of debt i am going to be in, I would assume I’d have to work as much as possible every summer, just to have a little money for the semester.

Or do you guys just include that debt as part of the process?
Or are you independently wealthy?

May 14, 07 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
jjlee

enjoy life now, rack up the credit card debt, pay it off when you make money later and hope you dont fuck up.

May 14, 07 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Oh you mean make money when you change careers?

May 14, 07 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

i dunno how other people do it, but i don't work anywhere without pay...esp in foreign countries where i have to pay for accommodation.

its not worth the debt IMO.

May 14, 07 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

i have a wedding to attend in philly on bloomsday.

a family gathering in august in jersey.

oh, and no less than 20 projects to complete between now and then.

aside from that...time will not allow me to have much in the way of plans.

i'm waiting for the big green floating head of archinect to announce the Inaugural Annual Archinect Meet and Greet Educational Summit because i would like to attend.

if i'm lucky, i'll get sent to one of the cooler destinations where we currently have projects...preferably st.petersburg, russia.

but i will likely be sent to the fun but less exotic locales of las vegas-NV, tampa-FL, and/or los angeles-CA.

but i can dream right? or at least drink vodka and practice my cyrillic...Nostrovia!

May 14, 07 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
fine line

I go to a UK university (and am English), so I only have to pay home fees, which are relatively cheap. I'm also working elsewhere at the beginning of the summer and getting paid a decent wage, as well as having somewhere to stay already if I do end up working abroad. Congratulations on EMBT jjlee, I can imagine that would be incredibe. Do you have to speak spanish?

May 15, 07 6:03 am  · 
 · 
jjlee

no, the office works in English only. which is nice.

May 15, 07 7:22 am  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Hopefully a vacation if I can get over this weird guilt complex about taking time off from work. Continued health overhaul (I'm down 30lb so far, so maybe I can add some other outdoor activities to my regimen). ARE. Got 1 year to finish 7 exams.

May 15, 07 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I'm lost in thought after one of those dreadful computer days, where you wish you also had a degree in Computer Science. So I'm looking forward to one of those extended weekends in June in FayetteVille, Arkansas taking in Fay Jone's Symposium and visiting a few of the local projects. I'm anticipating it will be a grand time and on top of all of that it is my wedding celebration of seven years! Then it is back to the grind, saving money for the next trip to Brazil.

May 16, 07 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

for me summer =

work full time
online/ night Physics class (prereq)
pack, purge, pack some more
move to Philly.

will probably get a Vegas, TJ, Frisco, and Catalina trip in there somewhere (damnit, I am going to enjoy my weekends!)...but no major travel. I was suppose to go to England and Spain, but had to postpone (till next summer?) cause of the summer school :(

oh yeah...another goal this summer....to be a tourist in LA. There are so many things I haven't done because I've been here so long that I never think about it.

May 18, 07 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
maam

bare skin, summer winds, three weeks vacation, ohh baby.

May 18, 07 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

NOLA... Biloxi... Cape Town... LA... Copenhagen... and lots of the Bay Area.

May 18, 07 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
sunshine

finland!

May 18, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
keopi

yah scandinavia !!

May 18, 07 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
tinydancer

hopefully if all works out I will be spending a week here...

http://www.boutiquevillas.com/welcome.html

May 18, 07 1:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: