Archinect
anchor

Residential exhaust fan requiremnts

Steviejay22

A friend is buying a condo in a 5 shory new building in harlem.  There is no rang hood at all

Is it required in NYC/?

Sep 18, 12 1:32 pm
logon'slogin

Which percentage group you and your friend belong to?

Sep 18, 12 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

lol the lower 1% of 47% i'm guesing

Sep 18, 12 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
Steviejay22

We are in the top 1% thank you very much, globally speaking of course.  What about the hood requirement?  This is a very expensive unit I cant believe a range hood is not required.

Sep 18, 12 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

range hood still not required as of the '08 code as long as ventilation of some sort (i.e. a window) is provided.  If there's no window and no recirculating hood, chances are your friend bought in a "pro-certified" buidling - which means it never had a proper plan review, and that means a missing range hood is probably the least of your worries from a code standpoint.

Please note all code inquiries are the opinion of a random person on the internet.  Please verify all the above claptrap with a NYC DOB certified expeditor - preferably a well paid, politically connected one.  The only rule in New York City is there are no rules.

Sep 19, 12 1:29 am  · 
 · 
Steviejay22

Thank you for your insight Aqurimac. It's an open plan with double hung windows, I guess the builder did the min. New construction, fully sprinklered, elevator, wolf range, sub zero, the whole nine yards, no fan in the kitchen oh well, no fried fish. Wow sounds like there may be a hint of corruption in NYC. Unheard of here in New Jersey everything's so clean here in Jersey it squeaks. Thanks again

Sep 19, 12 8:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: