Archinect
anchor

Urban Backpack search

justyell

HI, I am looking for a new backpack, with either single trap or the regular 2. Should be pretty compact to hold just daily stuff, camera, phone, small book, etc... No laptop!
I'm familar with more of the obvious designed out there that have been discussed but I am looking for something more interesting..

right now I am looking at some of the tumi backpacks, robags.com. mandarian duck, paragon, and mh way...

Do any of you know of some other interesting designs...

Thanks

May 10, 07 8:02 am
WonderK

We have been talking about bags recently on the green thread. If you are interested in maybe getting one that has solar panels - as I am - you might check out these bags by Reware, which can charge your small electronic devices and are made from recycled soda bottles. Very cool:

There is also another brand of solar-powered bag called "Voltaic", if you want to do a search.

Before rationalist pointed these out to me, however, I was looking at bags by Crumpler, which offers a wide variety of very functional bags, and also has one of the wackiest web sites and catalogues I've ever seen. For instance this bag is called The Sinking Barge:

Some messenger brands that I would recommend are Timbuktu and Freitag (talked about these on the Green thread as well), but it looks like you are looking for backpacks.....hope this helps.

May 10, 07 8:39 am  · 
 · 
justyell

thanks, I have seen those solar panel bags, however, they seem just additive to the design and not fully intergrated... too bad... The crumplers are well made, but they just remind me of some high school backpack.... I'm looking for something a bit more metrosexual but with an edge

May 10, 07 8:55 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

I have had my spire pack for over 5 years and still love it.

http://www.spireusa.com/

May 10, 07 9:33 am  · 
 · 
justyell

yeah, I have a spire, but am looking for something smaller when I'm sans laptop.... Any other ideas? independent designers, etc?

May 10, 07 9:55 am  · 
 · 
nambypambics
www.zappos.com
May 10, 07 10:00 am  · 
 · 
justyell

can you be alittle less specific,,,,

May 10, 07 10:01 am  · 
 · 
BluLiteSpcl6321

Tumi stuff is amazing (I think I just like the design of their stores), but I've been on a Jack Spade binge lately. His small bags are very efficient and his nylon day (architect) bag never leaves my side. The main link for his bags is http://www.jackspade.com/shop/home.php?cat=254

May 10, 07 10:31 am  · 
 · 
smallpotatoes
http://www.pacoutdoor.com/2005/index.cfm?action=group&groupID=13&familyID=2

of the messenger-bag persuasion + dry bag

May 10, 07 10:36 am  · 
 · 
justyell

the tumi stuff is good, but I think it is starting to lose its special design quality but ballastic nylon, thats still cool... Jack Spade... I have to admit I have personal issue with this guy...it's a nice bag, but I do have a problem of the nepotistic relationship between him and his sister in the world of design.... Plus, every since there was that bananna republic billboard, I think of his designs a cliché architects bag... non threatening, a bit muji like...

May 10, 07 10:41 am  · 
 · 
BluLiteSpcl6321

I've always had an issue with that, and if I recall correctly there is ANOTHER Spade around the corner from Jack and Kate in SoHo. Forget the name but it's another female designer. Not sure of the relation however.

I think I love the bag because it was a gift from one gf to replace the older Banana Republic bag my ex gf before her got me.

May 10, 07 10:48 am  · 
 · 
jwillefo
http://www.jackspade.com/shop/home.php?cat=248
May 10, 07 10:57 am  · 
 · 
justyell

please, no more jack

May 10, 07 11:16 am  · 
 · 
BluLiteSpcl6321

Fine...

http://www.katespade.com/sm-handbags--ci-1863844.html

May 10, 07 11:23 am  · 
 · 
justyell

nice... the topic does ask for backpacks....

May 10, 07 11:29 am  · 
 · 
cpnorris
Chrome Bags
May 10, 07 11:40 am  · 
 · 
jwillefo
http://www.coolhunting.com/fastsearch?tag=Bags
May 10, 07 11:48 am  · 
 · 
justyell

wait a minute, anish kapoor design a bag for tumi? thats selling out... especially when the bag is such crap

May 10, 07 11:53 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Perhaps you should make your own, since apparently nothing we are showing you is good enough.

May 10, 07 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
DrNo

I definitely second the Chrome bags suggested by cpnorris. I have had mine for 4 years now and the thing is not only amazingly comfortable but also built like a tank.

Despite your aesthetic aversions to Crumpler, they are great bags as well. My friend runs both the stores in NY and all US distribution so I can say that they are definitely run by good people. Though they are certainly a particular style, my computer backpack has served me quite well for 2 years.

FYI, all the names of their bags are psuedonyms for the male "member" both around the world and specifically in Australia (home of Crumpler)....ex. the aforementioned "Sinking Barge" as well as the name of my bag (and personal favorite) "Sheep Scarer". Not sure how that may effect your opinion but always a chuckle is had when reading the model names from their catalog.

May 10, 07 12:18 pm  · 
 · 

I was wondering why it was called the Sinking Barge!

May 10, 07 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
justyell

wonder K. that's a really helpful comment. Do you think it is wise to just settle when you are not happy with a design? I know what I like and what has been suggested and what I am familar with doesnt fit the bill... I would think there would be more options available that I don't know of....

May 10, 07 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

clive bags

their site is down but you can buy them on zappos.

May 10, 07 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Don't be snippy, justyell, people are trying to be helpful. When your clients continually say "No, that's not quite right, noooo, not that one either....it's not quite edgy enough... but no, that's too edgy, no, not that....not quite what I'm looking for" at what point do you stop wasting the billable time and try to find out what it is they are really after?

What EXACTLY are you after?

May 10, 07 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Well, I'm just saying. There's a lot of people on here trying to give you suggestions, and you and your 17 comments aren't giving us much more to work with than some priggish responses. Can't you post a picture of something that you like that is similar but not quite right? Do some image searches on Google, browse Zappos, something. We try to be helpful but we are not personal shoppers.

May 10, 07 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

justyell, are you getting your money's worth with this thread? If not, please contact customer support.

May 10, 07 12:48 pm  · 
 · 

if you gave some feedback akin to "well, that one's heading in the right direction, but I'm looking for something with better color options/a smoother shape/a separate pocket for my cell phone", my guess is that you'd be getting a lot further.

May 10, 07 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

there are some really great suggestions here!

What are you girls sporting...anything cool? I have a monster of a Targus laptop backpack that I had to buy last minute before a European adventure a few summers ago. The thing is ugly as hell, but it was the only thing I could find at the time to fit my tank of a 17" laptop (first generation HP "17). I have to admit, it's great for travel (huge and comfy), but sooo not cute and I'm going to be getting a smaller laptop (slimmer at least) for Grad school- I want something beautiful.

Any suggestions? I promise to appreciate them...

May 14, 07 2:21 am  · 
 · 
chingale

"Chewbacca wears the ultimate Man-Bag"

-- Chewbacca sports an impressive Man Bag! It's unknown why he carried his pouch or what it may have contained (most likely a Chewie-pod and inter-galaxy cell phone), but one thing is certain... Chewbacca was one bright, metrosexual Wookie!"

the perfect meterosexual bag

May 14, 07 3:50 am  · 
 · 
black francis

It seem justyell started this thread just so he could show us his vast knowledge of the latest in bag/backpack design and theory as well as turn up his nose to any suggestions, just to prove how well abreast he is. It's a backpack! Pick one and continue living.

May 14, 07 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
PetePeterson

where's vado?

May 14, 07 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

what the heck is this? this thread is rediculous. what is an "urban" backpack? is this to be distinguished from a "rural" backpack? why are you guys talking about backpacks? where is vado?

May 14, 07 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
Arena Baggage

- great custom courier bags, did an awesome rush job for my gf's birthday gift of a hip pouch with otters holding hands on it

May 15, 07 11:51 am  · 
 · 
cadalyst

I agree with WonderK

I have a Crumpler Whickey & Cox, and I love it

May 15, 07 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed
www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?Arro-16

Shit's even called 'tough urban pack'

My Arcteryx trekking pack has lasted the world around.

May 15, 07 3:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: