Archinect
anchor

how do you feel and what do you do if you know, your company copy other companies.

Vendetta

In China,Some famous companies  can copy master work like frank wroyd wright .

I know they retouch drawing that  frank wroyd wright did it and hang that work on wall .It seem like they want to show they can do it .

some work from Hassel Australia ,some works copy from brazil.

just open books , select it, mix it with other projects .

They dont care site, approch or anything..

Many works look like neo-classic style,some works come from building in washington DC. mix it with Bali and asian style...

I ask them why,

they just said If you dont famous like that architect, just copy it until you famous.They told me that their teacher teach them to think like that!!!

some of my chinese friends said dont care about facade much.just concentrate function cause we cant copy function.  I dont know,Is it mean they dont feel anything when they copy? I feel like they so grad can do it.

Have you ever find Chinese architect like this?

Sep 17, 12 2:07 pm
gwharton

Almost all of them.

Sep 17, 12 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

To be honest, most companies copy designs in one way or the other.  No design is absolutely original.  However, the Chinese just like to take it to the extreme and rather than be subtle about it, have no shame about copying it blatantly.  :) 

There is some truth when you're a student and still learning, that you should copy and immitate the famous and good designers.  It will certainly help you learn but you need to move away and find something of your own after you do that, not like your company who try to profit from others work.

If it bothers you much, move to another firm.  I'm sure there are plenty who don't do this type of work in China.

Sep 17, 12 2:22 pm  · 
 · 

Probably many architects would be better if they just copied masters. It's when the marginally talented try to get creative that we end up with the most abysmal buildings.

Yo!

Sep 17, 12 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Do you happen to work in the Hassel office in Chongqing? 

Every Chinese firm that I've worked with has had no shame in blatantly copying details, schemes and entire buildings.

It's the same reason that you can buy a DVD of the latest movie for 5 yuan a week after it opens in the US.  

Sep 17, 12 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
TheCollector

The most abysmal buildings are the ones which are not creative or different in some way.

Sep 17, 12 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
i r giv up

everyone copies every one. it's how knowledge accrues. stop being all petty about it as if it's evil or something.

Sep 17, 12 5:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: