Archinect
anchor

An offer to good to refuse?

smallpotatoes

Hi everyone I've been lurking for some time, and now have a reason to speak up. I am an intern here my little midwest state, and should finish my IDP hours by Jan 08. I have been approached by my m.arch program, and they want me to consider coming back to teach full time as an adjunct, complete the ARE and do so with the incentive of preparing to enter a post-pro in the area of my choice at the university of my choice on this school's dime. After I complete the outside academia, I would have the obligation of returning to my home state to pursue a tenure-track faculty position at said university.

Just talking numbers, the entry salary & benefits of just the adjunct position beats the pants off my current intern job. I should also mention that at my current firm I am already bumping my head against the ceiling...not much advancement opportunity here. I would like to start a family too soon and I can see how being a teacher might be a good gig in that respect, not to mention the ability to do research, publish, travel and enter competitions. I am truly salivating at the idea of completing some post-professional academia, even more so if it were fully funded!

There are many aspects of a career in teaching that really appeal to me and I have always thought it would be something I would pursue after more time in the private sector, after having something real built. I am surprised that this opportunity has come so soon.

It seems to good to be true. What are the pitfalls of entering the academic world having only a few years out in the "real world"?
Are opportunities like this that rare? Does anyone here succesfully maintain a small design practice on the side while teaching? Thanks I am in over my head here...

May 9, 07 5:38 pm
KEG

It's sounds amazing..i'd take it in a heartbeat. but, then again, I don't have enough "real world experience" to see the downside.

the only problem I see is that in my undergrad, some of the younger profs had a hard time being respected (by the students) because they didn't have "real world work experience"...but, I do think there will always be students that will find something wrong with a teacher.

I'd still do it... work on the side...

CONGRATS

May 9, 07 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
smallpotatoes

Thanks WTD! I know...I'm still digesting the implications of the offer. Somebody pinch me. I think you are right, I would be an easy target for anyone who wanted to see me as an inexperienced practicioner. Hopefully a design-based teaching focus might allow me to do some cool stuff on the side and that persona would eventually go away?

May 9, 07 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

having taught a bit, the one thing to consider (and coming from a land grant state school for undergrad, this is also coming from experience) is that teaching means having a clear idea of what one values academically in the study of architecture. i had so many professors that couldn't quantify clearly their approach to architecture that was both professionally and academically relevant. so, just be careful...know why you're teaching and don't just use it as an escape from the difficulties of the profession because the teaching that emerges from those seeking to escape the difficulties of the profession just breed additional frustration in the next generation of students that will be released into that same professional environment.

May 9, 07 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
n_

While I do not have any advice for you, I just want to let you know that I am 100% jealous.

Congratulations, it must be well-earned.

May 9, 07 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
smallpotatoes

with all due humility I really appreciate your envy n_, please know that I am not posting this to be a fancy-pants. It's just so unexpected and so tempting I am wondering if this is something that schools do...I've remained in touch with my school and they are aware of my efforts to continue my research and publish all on my own. I have some fans back there, I guess.

futureboy, spot on. I think the most dangerous faculty members are the ones that are there for the wrong reasons. I am not frustrated in general with the profession, just with my current status as intern...a temporary problem to say the least.

May 9, 07 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

then very well, good luck. it's always a great show of faith to be approached for such a position.

May 9, 07 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
smallpotatoes

I'm so smart that I have a type-o in my subject line...sheesh.

May 9, 07 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

haha...I wasn't gonna say anything ;)

May 9, 07 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
smallpotatoes

Yeah I'm off to great start in academia. Awesome.

C'mon people, forgive me and my rash, no spell-check typing.

Either I've been written off already or ya'll think I'm an ass for even having to ask the question.

May 9, 07 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
tinydancer

I say go for it if this is what you've been wanting to do-what a great opportunity-I am sure they wouldn't have offered something so great if they didn't think you were up to it-just make sure to keep one foot in the "real" world to aid in teaching your students. Best of luck to you!

May 9, 07 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

I'd take people out to be in your position...seriously, just name names.

futureboy is right though. One of my favorite professors said he didn't realize he was ready to teach until he had a message to teach. But he also said "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach." Hmmm, he was kinda all over the place, maybe that's why I liked him?

May 9, 07 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

Wow. Just googled Dan Rockhill. Nice work.

A couple other good regional architects who are also very dedicated professors come to mind: Patricia Patkau at UBC in Vancouver, and Brian MacKay-Lyons at Dalhousie, Nova Scotia... Any others?

May 10, 07 12:16 am  · 
 · 
lschack

That's the basis of my progression from "shock & awe" to "terrified".
Honestly, it's a major career decision and the whole "those that can't do, teach" stuff is bothersome for me. I really haven't had a chance to get to the "doing" part yet. Yes, I have an extensive academic background (attributes to the lack-of-built-work part) and yes i work (finally) at a very design-oriented firm yet I am just getting to the place where I can exercise my design skills in a tangible way.
On the other hand, the older I get, the more difficult it will be to focus on the post-professional study or m.archII. I have enough teaching experience to know that I enjoy it...anyone out there presently in academia want to tell me what you like about it? Besides that part that feeds your ego?

May 10, 07 12:17 am  · 
 · 
smallpotatoes

insight, meet smallpotatoes. heh.

May 10, 07 12:23 am  · 
 · 
smallpotatoes
http://www.residentialarchitect.com/industry-news.asp?sectionID=0&articleID=391314

Yes Dan Rockhill is a great example.
No pictures but I good description of how his practice works.

May 10, 07 12:28 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: