Archinect
anchor

south africa, new zealand, australia

wildthing

I am an undergraduate architecture student preparing to apply for study abroad during my Junior year. Since I've grown up in Europe and studied in the US, I am planning on discovering a new continent during this year abroad. My choices are: University of Auckland, New Zealand, University of Sydney, Australia, and University of Cape Town in South Africa.
Which place do you think is the most interesting as seen from an architectural point of view? Why?
Thank you so much

May 8, 07 12:21 am
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

UoA! Face it: do you really want to be in Australia or SA?

Seriously, it's a pretty good degree there. Theoretical and artistically slanted, lots of good, knowledgeable people, well-equipped studios, great architecture library.

USyd is ok too, although I've only visited there once.

May 8, 07 12:33 am  · 
 · 
KEG

the social/ theoretical work being done in cape town is incredibly vital. With an entire generation on the verge of the extinction, I can't image a better place to study architecture/ culture. Cape Town is stunning as well and the travel opportunities are phenomenal (both selfishly and philanthropically). To me there’s no question…

May 8, 07 12:39 am  · 
 · 
dia

Go to Auckland and you can get taught by the master - agfa8x. That should seal it.

May 8, 07 1:03 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Word. But I just visit now.

May 8, 07 1:08 am  · 
 · 
justavisual

i vote cape town and will be envious if you go.

May 8, 07 11:25 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)
Architecture programme at University of Auckland.

(Discharging my alumni advertising obligations)

May 8, 07 7:22 pm  · 
 · 

I can only speak for two of the three places, and really only for their locations, not the schools as I am not familiar with them. I lived in New Zealand for a year (almost entirely on the South Island), and spent a week visiting Sydney. I think if you are looking for a more exciting urban experience, pick Sydney. The harbor, the terrace houses, the beaches--you will be in heaven. Auckland also has a nice harbor but IMO is much less integrated into the urban fabric than Sydney's.

Now I'm probably biased towards New Zealand, but I think the people there are brilliant and you will be inundated with opportunities to travel around the country. It's a small place, and there's lots of stuff to see within close reach of Auckland. If you're at all interested in the outdoors, New Zealand will be your choice. There's a great tradition of pioneer building, shed architecture and stuff. It's a no-nonsense place. It sure turned my city slicker ass around.

If you are seduced by the thought of going to Sydney, just remember that it's a 3-hour flight away from New Zealand.

I think in general one will be more satisfied with a year in New Zealand over a year in Australia. Good luck with your decision.

May 9, 07 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
scottyvalentine

hey there.

I went to QUT in brisbane for the past 4 years, they have a very technial based course, very much focused on sustainable issues. Art is a non even almost there. It is also very work focused, you basicly work from 2nd year on. I'm now working in singapore and get to meet alot of people from all over asia and every school seems to push art in design alot more.

I was thinking about moving to mumbai for my last years, they have 9 schools in the one city there... maybe it's like that in the states, but it's unheard of in Aus. I don't think I will really follow through with that thought though.

To get back to your question, I've met a few ppl from Uni of Sydney and they liked it, I forget any specific comments about it.

I believe when it comes down to it a university is just a tool to use in your learning, you have to teach yourself. So no matter where you go it will come down to the work you do and how much you want to learn.

I personally think university is a waste of time at times, but my school isn't exactly a top school in Aus.

Have you thought about RMIT, that is well known as the best Archi School in Aus. And it's in Melbourne, they call it the garden city, but it's actually the architectural capital of Australia.

I hope my rambelings have added to your thoughts.

Cheers

Scott

May 11, 07 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
dlb

for a former discussion on schools of architecture in australia, go to the discussion thread: "best architecture school in aussie?"

just put "australia" in the search keyword to find the thread.

fairly comprehensive, fairly recent.

May 12, 07 7:02 am  · 
 · 
KEG

wait...aren't their any 'nectors in SA that can shed some light on the Cape Town program? I know Australia is an amazing place, but I just think the social/ theoretical opportunities of study are vital in SA...being on this side of apartheid, the aids epidemic, crime in struggling nation, etc. These are all catalysts for great architectural research and change.

Since I naively think that architecture can change all of the worlds great problems, I can't think of a better region to study that change.

check out http://www.saia.org.za/

from Wikipedia:

Two philosophies originated in South Africa: ubuntu (the belief in a universal bond of sharing that connects all humanity); and Gandhi's notion of "passive resistance" (satyagraha), developed while he lived in South Africa.

a thread of things to do in SA
http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=26278_0_42_0_C

May 12, 07 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
wildthing

Thank you so much for all your comments. I haven't come to a decission yet. It just seems as if every place would be wonderful to experience for a year, and I don't want to decide:-)

Jun 4, 07 2:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: