Archinect
anchor

Buildings I must visit in NY

bleu

I am visiting NY in the next two days. I have been there before, 3 years ago. It was the first American city I saw. I loved it.
I am going there again. Could all you New Yorkers please list out a few buildings I must see..I have already been to the touristy hotspots of Architecture. I am interested in seeing the hidden Architectural gems which only the New Yorker would know of.

May 8, 07 12:02 am
morfo

Skyscraper Museum, Storefront, PS1, Moma

May 8, 07 1:39 am  · 
 · 
n_

my favorites:

american folk art museum.

ini ani coffee shop at 105 stanton street.

May 8, 07 8:25 am  · 
 · 
JOM

I second Storefront.

Also, It might sound tacky but standing under the CitiCorp building is pretty intense.

The Coooper Hewitt has a pretty cool exhibit right now.

May 8, 07 8:55 am  · 
 · 
jwillefo

The Public Library on 42nd st. Brooklyn Heights. Broken Angel building in Clinton Hill -not really a gem, but definitely something to look at. Lipstick Building. That little open cafe space with a waterfall on 52nd or 53rd. I forget the name of it, but its a great place to enjoy the weather in New York right now.

May 8, 07 9:22 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

If you visit PS1, also check out 5 Points which is right across the street (graffiti covered building). There are a lot of cool artist studios in there.

Check out Stone Street (in the South St. Seaport area). It's one of the oldest streets in NY and there are lots of good places to eat (I recommend Smorgas).

May 8, 07 9:44 am  · 
 · 
squaresquared

Don't miss Mies' Seagram Building (at 375 Park) and SOM's Lever House at (390 Park). Also, Norman Foster's Hearst building is brand new and quite spectacular (8th Ave. at 57th St.).

One my favorite esoteric New York buildings was torn down a few years ago:

May 8, 07 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
zapagap

Raimund Abraham
Austrian Cultural Forum Tower
New York, NY

"My intention with the building was to resolve the extreme condition of smallness of the site, its void, its lateral compression."

http://www.arcspace.com/architects/abraham/austrian/index.htm

May 8, 07 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
ChAOS

there's an incredible simple condo building at the corner of 20th St & 1st Ave, currently my favorite building in the city. simple concrete frame w/ a mosaic pattern created by the mullions in the windows & spandrels. the ground floor is thoughtless but the upper floors are beautiful. great lesson in how to design well with what i imagine was a small budget.

May 8, 07 11:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: