Archinect
anchor

Senan Abdelqader

Arab-Israeli architect Senan Abdelqader's web site has just been added to archinect's links page.
they seem to do beautiful work and got some valuable publicity from new york times.
is he a talent who transcends the divide?
i'd appreciate further comments and insider/spectator's info, if any, on their work or just plain discuss it.

May 7, 07 8:09 pm

wonderfully beautiful work... i love the brick screen wall of the mashrabiya house (shown above)... it's a lovely modern riff on the traditional screens of the region... i've always been attracted to moorish and arabic architecture for the way that it intelligently deals with the climate... and also for it's applicability as a precedent here in florida... i'm glad to see ouroussoff giving senan some props...

thanks for the link orhan...

May 8, 07 9:11 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Nice link, Orhan. I love the photo above, you can feel the desert heat in it. I'm a huge fan of traditional screens reworked in a modern way - they make so much sense! Like real shutters in a cold climate.

However, he does have an attitude about the weight of masonry and concrete that makes me uncomfortable. Just personal preference, I get nervous around mass that seems to float! The project above, for example: I can't get a sense of the horizontal concrete grid members being supported by the masonry screen below, and the masonry inserts seem to me too heavy for the thinness of the grid member below, so it makes me nervous. (As does the one with a glass understory "supporting" a concrete box above. I'm too traditional.) Still a lovely project, and the overall screen would seem much less ephemeral if the concrete grid was bigger.

I do love how light infiltrates everything. And the overall simplicity of form and palette. It's so hard to do simple well!

May 8, 07 12:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: