Archinect
anchor

how hard is the LEED exam?

misteranderson41

hey

i was wondering how hard the LEED exam is. i remember pple telling me back in 04 that it was a pretty easy test, but that it was going to be reformated and become harder.

is the only real way to prepare for it buying one of these review books on amazon?

i m getting bored, and was thinking of taking it in july before i start grad school.

what do you think...enough time? (its early may)

May 6, 07 6:05 pm
won and done williams

i guess it depends what you consider hard. it's not the ARE, but it's also not something you can just skim through a study guide and pass. i spent about a month studying for it, maybe two hours or so a day. i mainly used the leed-nc reference guide and studied the submittal process through the USGBC website. i barely passed. i think i scored a 39 (passing=39). to really learn it i think you need project experience, but i would definitely encourage you to try. in school, it's very unlikely you'll get the opportunity to study for the leed exam, and it will make you more marketable (to certain offices, not all) after you graduate.

May 6, 07 6:17 pm  · 
 · 

it's very easy if you've administered or worked on the certification of a LEED project. it's easy if your familiar with the process and credits.

it's hard if you just want a notch on your resume and have no experience beyond being a cad monkey.

May 6, 07 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

anybody want to sell or give away their practice test?

May 6, 07 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
misteranderson41

does working mostly in rhino make me a rhino monkey?....sorry bad joke

thanks for all the input, i think i ll study between now and mid july and give it a try before grad school

May 6, 07 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

there are good study materials and practice tests on the ARE website. 15 minutes on google will turn up more.

the test itself does require study and good testing skills. it's multiple choice and subtle - you have to read the questions carefully - even if you study well, you still may find it a difficult test.

good luck.

May 6, 07 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
Entasis79

Which track would people reccomend to a student who doesn't know exactly where they will be working or on what type of projects?
I am assuming LEED for New Construction?

May 7, 07 12:52 pm  · 
 · 

New Construction is the broadest category, and was the original focus of LEED, so I would think it would be the most helpful to learn.

#1 tip: memorize the list of credits and subheadings. Then when you're given ten minutes to learn to use the computer, spend the time writing down that list on your scratch paper. Just having memorized that list accounted for a good ten-fifteen right answers for me.

May 7, 07 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

I took it under LEED 2.1 before the deadline last year. Is the new exam being offered now? For that I wouldn't have a clue on difficulty. The exam I took was IMO harder than the ARE for several reasons:
1, they are tricky with the questions, like choose best 3 of 6, etc.
2, unlike the ARE, I don't do LEED work on a daily basis.

However, I studied and passed fairly easy. Good luck.

May 7, 07 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
simples

I also took LEED 2.1 last november, and heard from a few people that it was comparable to the ARE in difficulty. A bit of encouragement though, due to a scheduling conflict and some architectural procrastination, i was only able to study for 4 days prior to the exam (thanksgiving weekend). i studied 32 hours, and although i take exams very well, i found myself grossly unprepared when facing the actual test. I got a 41, which is barely passing, but i considered myself lucky. But, if you study for a month, you should do fine.

As indicated above, the test is quite tricky, with subtle and intricate questions, but i also found it to be very detail oriented. There were a lot of "process" questions (what documentation do you need to submit in order to get "x" credit, etc).

May 7, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
simples

oh, and lots of tricky questions such as:

45. What is 2+2 (select 3 answers)

a. "four"

b. "4"

c. "45{65/2[42+(35)(12)] - (48/.3456)}= x ( 9567){33/[14+(25)(9)] - (123/14)}"

d. "15{63/3[41+(35)(18)] - (23/1.456)}= x (17){43/[11+(125)(6)] - (4/16)}= "

e. "13{33/[14+(25)(9)] - (123/14)}= x (58){313/[148+(5)(189)] - (143/114)}= "

f. "the USGBC website"

May 7, 07 2:14 pm  · 
 · 

I love that example, simples! That's exactly how I felt about it.

The trickier ones for me involved the word "best". Such as, "What are the two best methods of stormwater runoff prevention?" Any time they asked for the two best, they would have three really good options; if they asked for the three best, they'd have four really good options. There was an aspect to the exam that felt like trickery more than knowledge that I didn't appreciate, but I still managed fine after studying the LEED 2.1 book, a glance at the website, a slideshow and several sample tests I found on the areforums.

May 7, 07 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
simples

"There was an aspect to the exam that felt like trickery more than knowledge that I didn't appreciate"...I completely agree...

I truly hope that LEED is just a catalyst for green design, rather than the norm for the future...

May 7, 07 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Simples, that sample question is the funniest thing I've seen all day, especially the USGBC website bit.

One nice thing is they give you the results right away, which is nice if you pass. I went out and celebrated, unlike the ARE where you stress about it for weeks. Just make sure you pass. Not a cheap exam to fail and retake.

May 7, 07 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Anyoen take the interiors exam?

May 16, 07 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
greendood

The exam is tough but I took a prep course that helped me pass. I would go through cleanedison. They do courses in person, none of that online crap. I would have had to study for weeks on my own to gain the knowledge they gave me in a two day course. Check them out--they are in a variety of cities www.cleanedison.com

Feb 2, 09 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box
CleanEdison, your number one provider of LEEP AP certification classes

someone should tell those clowns that leed ap is a friggin accreditation. please.

Feb 2, 09 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
blah

$800? You've gotta be kidding. I should start offering classes!

Feb 2, 09 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Hey greendood, way to dig up a 2 yer old thread and spam all over it, ass!

Feb 3, 09 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

oh yeah, it's hard...real hard

Feb 3, 09 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

ooh...sorry about that.

i'm not used to wearing pants.

Feb 3, 09 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

system is going to change, register and take the AP exam before march 31st to avoid having to take multiple tests

Feb 3, 09 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

sorry- 'register' before march 31st, you can take the test anytime after you register

Feb 3, 09 1:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: