Archinect
anchor

Any suggestion for finding a year long internship?

InfrastructureIsArt

Currently I hold a bachelors in landscape design and management, my undergrad curriculum had a strong focus on horticulture. I stuck around for an extra semester to take a few graduate courses in landscape architecture, and urban planning to help prepare mentally for graduate education.

Next fall I will be attending graduate school to begin working toward my MLA degree. I had to defer this year due to financial instability (couldn't afford to make the move from Florida to Chicago).

Since I have a year off so to speak, I would like to find an internship at a firm, agency, or contracting company specializing in landscape architecture/design. An internship would be ideal versus finding a full time designer position as I feel there is still a lot I can learn. So far I haven't had much luck finding anything, I've sent copies of my resume and cover letters to quite a few firms but have received no promising responses.

Before I start making cold calls to firms, can anyone offer any advice for finding an internship?

Sep 12, 12 1:33 pm
BrianYamagata

One question I have is: Are you specifying that you are seeking a 1 year internship in order to pursue your MLA?

If so, some firms may not be looking to hire (and pay) someone that will only be around for a maximum of 1 year (potentially). 

If you are wording your cover letter in that manner, I would personally suggest that you go about it as if you're looking to start your career. One thing that really helps people establish their footing in this unstable profession is to allow for options and flexibility. Who knows, if you do get hired for a "1 year" position, you may find yourself ready to continue and omit the MLA all together. 

Something you should become quite aware of is how tight this profession is right now. Firms aren't necessarily looking for being that still "have a lot to learn." They need people that are ready to help make them what money they can. Sure you could get an non-paid internship much more easily, but as you mentioned, finances are tough on most, including yourself. 

Of course this is just one suggestion of many. If what you're doing isn't working the way you want it to, try to change your game up a bit!

Sep 12, 12 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
InfrastructureIsArt

I've have been making a note on my resume and cover letter that I will be starting graduate school in the fall. For the longest time I've been battling whether I should omit that fact or be honorable and be honest. My goal is to enter an accredited landscape architecture program so I can 'qualify' to work in offices that specialize in projects that catch my fancy, whether it be an internship for the summer or full time employment when I graduate. I've looked at a lot of job listings seeking entry level landscape designers or interns, and a majority ask that I attend or have graduated from an accredited landscape architecture program. I'm afraid my degree in landscape design alone won't cut it, which is why I'm planning to get my masters. Unfortunately I have about a years worth of downtime before I enroll.

Also, although I feel there is still room to learn new things that only working in a firm environment can teach, I also feel that I have skills that can contribute to any firm I'm lucky enough to get hired at.

Sep 12, 12 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
jonasmorse

Allot of tips and advice can be found on www.howtointernabroad.com for finding an internship completely on your own. I interned in Japan for one year, and as you may know, its not easy to find an internship there without connections. 

Jan 13, 13 11:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: