Archinect
anchor

Owner of my apartment turing the unit into condo.. Need advise to fight with him..

bUbBLe

Long story short. I live in an apartment in LA. The owner of the apartment complex is turning my apartment into condo. He asked me to move, but he didn’t give me written notice. I checked the LAHD (housing department) website, the owner has to pay me to leave/ relocate. But the problem is I don’t have a letter stating that.

Should I ask the owner for a letter first then ask him to pay me?! or should I stay at the apartment until he forces me to. I don’t think he has the right to force me to move, right?!

Please advise. Thanks.

May 3, 07 3:36 pm

My understanding is that he does have the right to force you to move, given that he will not be renting the apartment to anybody else for a certain period (I believe 1 year). He should have had to give you notice in writing though.

May 3, 07 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

read your lease. often times it is written in their that they can make you move for situations such as this.

thats a shitty situation bubble.

May 3, 07 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
+i

this was an episode of sex & the city. carrie had to get her boyfriend to help her buy her apt.

May 3, 07 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
bUbBLe

Thanks rationalist. But my understanding is if he forces me to move, he has to give me money. I have a feeling that he's trying to avoid that.

Actually some of the unit already gone through remodel.

May 3, 07 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

was her boyfriend an architect? i remember an episode where she hooked with an architect who was about 25 and had a bathtub porsche. this is why i entered the profession. damn hbo.

May 3, 07 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

bubble..

i'd at least wait til you get written notice...even then i think you have
1-2 months...you should also read your lease as others have said
and see if it's indeed ok for him to break the lease..if it is..well you
signed away your rights.

May 3, 07 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
+i

actually .... no. he wasnt an architect, but a furniture designer.

they ended up breaking up and she had to "buy" back her apartment from him ... haha.

May 3, 07 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
+i

sucks bubbles... sorry.

May 3, 07 4:02 pm  · 
 · 

Hmmm, it does appear that you are right. I had thought they only had to do that if they gave you less than 30 days, but these guys say otherwise. Talk to the Rent Stabilization Division and see whether he has filed the appropriate paperwork, and ask them what recourse you have if he has done so but hasn't provided you a copy or your relocation assistance.

May 3, 07 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

that link that rationalist posted says that they have to give you a 30 day notice and they have to offer you relocation assitance within 15 days of the written notice. assuming i read that correctly ofcourse.

May 3, 07 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

I don't know what council district you are in, but I would talk to the planning deputy at your Council members office. This is a hot button issue right now in LA, and though they are unlikely to have the answer for you, I think they would probably be able to point you in the right direction.

Also... if your landlord isn't giving you this information in writing, it is because they don't want to be legally bound by all the implications of them telling you to leave. Kindly write him/her a letter certified mail, return receipt requested, and sit back and wait for an actual written request. Retain the tag and a copy of the letter for future reference. CA has the strongest tenant rights laws in the country, and your landlord sounds like she or he is trying to get around them.

May 5, 07 1:29 am  · 
 · 
aspect

firstly, u need to do some homework on all the legal deal (like how much u entitle to) then call ur landlord about it before anything written on paper.

May 5, 07 3:00 am  · 
 · 
mental

punch him in the face!! this is the only way to get some people to listen apparently.

May 5, 07 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
from;LAHD

I live in an apartment covered by the RSO. Can my landlord evict me for any reason he wants?

No. You may only be evicted for one of the reasons allowable under the RSO. And you may not be evicted just so your landlord can raise the rent. For information about the allowable reasons for eviction, please contact us at (866) 557-RENT [7368] or access the RSO at http://lacodes.lacity.org The RSO is Chapter XV of the City of Los Angeles Municipal Code.

I am being evicted from my apartment. Do I receive any relocation assistance?
Relocation assistance is required if your unit is under the RSO and your landlord is evicting you for his/her own occupancy, spouse, parents, children or a resident manager. Assistance is also required for major rehabilitation and demolition, as well as orders from a governmental agency to vacate due to a violation of the Los Angeles Municipal Code or any other provision of law. Qualified tenants (those 62 years or older, disabled or those who have minor dependent children) are entitled to $8,200 and all other tenants are entitled to $3,300 [these amounts were increased effective July 1, 2005].

Where do I find out about my rights as a tenant if I don't live within the City of Los Angeles?
Please call your City Hall and ask for the department that deals with rental housing issues.

May 5, 07 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
http://www.cityofla.org/LAHD/

esentially your landlord is removing a rental unit from the rental market and there are rules and regulations governing that.

*sorry, i am no expert on this but your post caught my attention and i've been searching a little bit. i hope it helps.

May 5, 07 4:42 pm  · 
 · 

from;
http://www.cityofla.org/LAHD/rentnews2007.pdf

TENANT RELOCATION BENEFITS
Under the RSO, tenants evicted for “no- fault” reasons (owner or resident
manager occupancy, demolition or removal from the rental market, compliance
with a government order, and action by HUD following a foreclosure) are entitled
to relocation assistance. Tenants evicted to facilitate the conversion of
apartments to condominiums, the demolition of existing housing, or the change
of a mobile home park to a different use are also entitled to relocation assistance
even when the property in question is not subject to the RSO. Currently, the
minimum levels of assistance required are $8,550 for households which include a
senior citizen or disabled person or a minor dependent child and $3,450 for all
other households. Effective July 1, 2007, these assistance levels will increase to
$8,950 and $3,600 respectively.

May 5, 07 4:46 pm  · 
 · 

my fees are waived...

May 5, 07 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
bollocks

it also depends on your lease - if it's month to month you won't get a relocation fee, if it's year to year and the owner just doesn't renew your lease you won't get one either.

May 12, 07 1:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: