Archinect
anchor

mexican in san antonio

outed

sorry to throw something out that may sound fairly trivial, but since i've landed in san antonio for the aia convention....

can anyone recommend some of the best mexican (or tex/mex) restaurants i need to try before leaving? i'm looking for authentic, not 'celeb'. hole in the wall, street vendor - i don't care. just great.

thanks in advance -

May 2, 07 5:32 pm
cracker

My vote is for Mexican Manhattan, on Soledad downtown. Superior taco meat, velvety gualamole, refritos fried almost to the point of being dry, and tostadas fried in lard - all absolutely delicious. Also, the chili gravy on the cheese enchiladas is the definitive San Antonio version, and the salsa is addictive. Chase it all with an ice-cold Carta Blanca. The place is brightly lit, with fomaica tables, and a number of booths. The patrons are local. There is a nice patio, on the river. I eat there every time I'm in San Antonio.

I also recommend Karam's. Outstanding enchiladas, and a great old San Antonio establishment. The food is similar to that you'll find at the Mexican Manhattan, but the place is is larger, and the atmosphere festive.

El Mirador - especially their off-menu items and margaritas, Pico De Gallo's or Mi Tierra for Tex-Mex, also good margs. The Malt Shop on Zarzamora or Blanco Cafe on Blanco for local color, decent Tex-Mex and good prices. La Fogata is overated, Rosario's pretty good but full of tourists and bland atmosphere, El Barrio fair but no comparison to Pico De Gallos.

May 2, 07 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
+i

wait... theres mexicans in san antonio???

May 3, 07 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

no there are Indians who were raped by Spaniards and their Moorish slaves lead Columbus and other Conquistadors and then coopted and genocided by the forces of the us of a.

as for Mexicans the nationality (because that is what it is) sure there are plenty in the low wage work arena demanding human rights recognition, but not just there are Argentinians Guatemalans Chileans Ecuadorians ect. because of the economic terrorism of the NAFTA thing that forces them to if they want viability

May 3, 07 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
alfrejas24

wow Jonas you must be lots of fun at parties.

May 3, 07 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

depends what kind of party if it is one where everybody is equal it's a blast.

May 3, 07 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

nobody is equal

May 3, 07 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

in that we are all different individuals sure, but in that it is a social justice issue and that we recognize it and not perpetuate discrimination by no unfair treatment we can try to be.

life, DNA, the same intrinsic needs we share these

May 3, 07 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

I don't know if they have Baja Fresh in San Antonio
but i like their food, no lard, no cream cheese in the guacamole, and no chicken broth in the rice, if those things interest you, i always ask, because i am 0 cholesterol in my eating habits.

May 3, 07 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Jonas - what does NAFTA have to do with Argentina, Chile, etc.? Isn't it the North America free trade agreement?

And if we're keeping score, NAFTA has brought far greater wealth and income to Mexico than the United States. The open trade policies have keep Mexican factories humming taking advantage of lower wages so American's can buy the cheaper goods. Just not seeing the economic terrorism aspect for those south of the border. They certinaly weren't better off before NAFTA.

Immigrants come to America not because of free trade agreements. They come for the same reason they always have, in search of a better life. At least most of them.

May 4, 07 11:27 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Tacoland

May 4, 07 11:28 am  · 
 · 
Jonas77

because the 'free' trade agreements ensure they will not get a better life where they came from.

you got your facts messed up Amerikkkans buy cheaper food because of low wages, sounds like exploitation to me.

how do you feel about the Minute Klan?

May 4, 07 11:55 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

On the northern border Canada has also benefited from NAFTA. Would you say our neighbors to the north can't get a better life there? I don't buy a conspiracy spin to trade agreements.

May 4, 07 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

take a economics class is all i can say to the ignorance of your posts.

you don't say how and you don't say who.

an example i see as far as Canada is they have used Nafta to keep Hemp products on the shelf by a lawsuit, and o how we do need our Omega-3's

logic reason math and the like could be your friend.

May 4, 07 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

No lard = not Mexican food, IMO.

That's what makes it so yummy!

Good luck in your quest, laru.

May 4, 07 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

jonas acts as if america was one hunky dory place before the europeans got here. well, the aztecs were undermined not only by the spanish but by surrounding peoples who hated the aztecs enough to help the spanish. the fortifications at acoma pueblo were designed to keep the marauding apache away. the crow scouted for custer because they despised the lakota. wtf man take a history class.

May 4, 07 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Examples? What about the premium textiles industry in New England states moving to Ontario? High end suits, shirts, etc. are now made north of the border. What about Canadian agriculture products flooding into the US? Or Canadian timber products?

South of the border NAFTA has led to several auto assembly plants being opened there. Seen a Volkswagen Beetle lately? Remember how common leather was pre-NAFTA? A nice sofa or an upgrade for your car is pretty cheap these days. Guess where that came from?

How about some back-up to your unsubstantiated claims about hemp and omega-3? I'm not trying to say NAFTA benefits all. Frankly I find a vast difference between "free" trade and "fair" trade. But claiming NAFTA is the reason we have immigration issues is pretty short sighted.

May 4, 07 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

nafta is havin some bad consequences for the central american subsistance farmers. history is displacement and diaspora.

May 4, 07 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

you haven't read Howard Zinns , A Peoples History of America have you Vado? your posts stink of borderline racism I am not interested.

leather is murder and exploitation of a wrongful domestication in the first place, and cows have layed ruin to most all of the land, a reason sensitive areas are unable to be used currently as they were by native peoples who so much has been taken from.

lard and other animal bi-products = why we have epidemic obesity and health crisis, on levels seen nowhere else. like that study proving meat to be a leading cause of breast and other cancer last weeks ago.

IMO, with lots of science and historical facts to back me up.

May 4, 07 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

where exactly is there racism in vado's post? it's not even close to
borderline...there's nothing racist.

of course you spelling america with three k's...very clever.

May 4, 07 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i have read howard zinn and noam chomsky and ivan illich so give the racist comments a rest.

May 4, 07 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

ok then i take it back, i read you wrong.

what do you see as a way to reverse sectarianism, or the root causes?

May 4, 07 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

NAFTA.....my buddy from Central America....came to the USA...when he was a kid because his mom didn't want him killed in his home country. He came here worked a beer vendor in a NFL football stadium with a minimal understanding of English, "Beer Here!" After awhile moved on to Canada where he works in management in a Retail Company. He brought his sister and her husband to Canada
with there three kids. All three kids now have degrees from College, two of them work in Engineering Computer related industries. My friends company sells products to Disney....So tell me what is all of this NAFTA crap about. I get upset when I hear anglo teenage kids complaining cause they don't have it good enough. Oh ya and and they all make way more money than I do.

May 4, 07 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

the economical reason is still a root reason for what we see

May 4, 07 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Jonas77....We are a world economy and a world people...when you travel you must see this. Go to London, go to France, go to China,
go to Brazil, go to Mexico...it is becoming one big blender of people...nothing like the world has seen in the last one hundred years. So let your fears pass. Maybe we can make this thing work together,,,

May 4, 07 6:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: