Archinect
anchor

Question about IDP

Noypi

Hey guys, quick question about IDP. I am currently working for a facility information consulting firm and I'm curious if my work can be used for IDP hours. My duties involve firewall inspections, life safety surveys, and architectural floor plan updates. I believe that my work can be put under the categories of "Site and Building Analysis" and "Codes and Regulations." However, my supervisor is not a licensed architect. Can he still be my IDP supervisor and mentor? 

I emailed NCARB support but they didn't reply back...

Sep 10, 12 9:09 pm
mantaray

However, my supervisor is not a licensed architect. Can he still be my IDP supervisor

No.  (Unless they've changed the rules for the recession?  Been awhile since I went thru IDP.)

If your immediate, direct supervisor is not a licensed architect, then you are a) capped in the number of hours you can claim from working there and b) all the hours go automatically into one category (unfortunately can't remember which category that is...but it states this very clearly in the IDP paperwork).

Your mentor, however, can be whoever you want, if I understand correctly.  That's really just an informal relationship.

Sep 11, 12 9:17 am  · 
 · 

They haven't. It still has to be a licensed architect. If it isn't, then those hours go into a different work category and only so many hours will count. 

Sep 11, 12 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
Noypi

Finally got a reply from NCARB

Thank you for contacting the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB). I have attached some information below from the NCARB web site to give you more information on IDP supervisors and mentors. I hope it is helpful:

In most experience settings, an IDP supervisor must be a registered architect; however, in certain experience settings an IDP supervisor may be a professional from another discipline.

http://www.ncarb.org/Experience-Through-Internships/Supervisors-and-Mentors/Working-With-A-Supervisor.aspx

A mentor must be an architect; however, the mentor does not need to be registered in the jurisdiction where the intern is located.

http://www.ncarb.org/Experience-Through-Internships/Supervisors-and-Mentors/Working-With-A-Mentor.aspx

http://www.ncarb.org/Experience-Through-Internships/IDP2-Experience-Settings.aspx

If you have any additional questions or comments please contact Customer Service by calling (202) 879-0520, or by email at [email protected]

Sep 11, 12 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
Nick Serfass, IDP @ NCARB

Noypi,

I apologize for any delay in response that you might have experienced.  I see that you’ve received some information from our customer service team since your post.  However, I wanted to hopefully shed some light on your scenario. 

Based upon what you describe, this would appear to qualify under Experience Setting S for Core, “Design or Construction Related Employment”.  There is a cap of 930 hours, but they are not limited to any particular experience area, save “Leadership and Service”.  The only requirement for the IDP supervisor in this setting is that they are “experienced in the activity”, as detailed on page 14 of the IDP Guidelines.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion. 

Best,

Nick Serfass
Assistant Director, IDP
NCARB
[email protected]

Sep 12, 12 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Wow an NCARB sighting.  I thought I would see a Yeti before I saw NCARB on archinect.

Sep 12, 12 2:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: