Archinect
anchor

please don't laugh...but what does this symbol mean?

KEG

is it a detail section cut line? it is always coupled with a dimension and is placed on an elevation where all the connections (or areas to be detailed) are, but there is no detail reference or symbol. There are about 8 of them and the diagonal lines point different directions depending on where the symbol is.

I just can't remember...

feel free to chuckle...but please help...

thanks!

May 1, 07 2:11 pm
KEG

don't know why the image shifted...

May 1, 07 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

It looks similar to a symbol I've seen on floorplans that indicates a change in floor elevation...

May 1, 07 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

shag carpet on a wall

May 1, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

guess i'm not the only one that doesn't know...

the level change could make sense but the dimensions don't...arrg

May 1, 07 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

yeah i'd also guess change in plane along the elevation and the dimension is the depth of change. but if that is it it isn't drawn very well.

May 1, 07 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

..can you show it in context?

May 1, 07 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

thanks for helping "work..."

May 1, 07 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

yup - it done be a plane break.
but it seems to be drawn incorrectly.

that 2'-2" with the hatch is reading as though the storefront is proud of the soffit by 2'-2" - which seems really doubtful.

the diagonal hatching should be on the other side of the heavy line to indicate the positive side.

same with the 2'-0" callout above.

personally, i hatch the entire symbol along the positive side to make it easier to read.

May 1, 07 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

There's a detail mark (D) above the doors... What does that detail show?

If it were my project, I'd leave off the plane break indicators altogether, use heavier lineweights on the elevation to indicate major plane breaks, and then reference separate details.

That assumes this is a working drawing... For a presentation drawing, I'd cast some shadows to indicate different planes of the elevation.

May 1, 07 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

Im with LiG on that....this seems to me (my opinion) an old skool way of showing the ref. plane and where they lie. Not really all that valuable on an elevation dwg. Better to reference it to a detail with a call out and then a well drawn detail.

May 1, 07 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
cadalyst

We used that symbol previosly (when we were in the residential market) on floor plans to indicate change of plane with steps (interior and exterior). The diagonal hatch seems to be on the correct side, the drawing is showing a 2'2 recess from the facade to the storefront glazing.

The (D) does not look like a detail marker in my opinion, it looks more like a column line (sans column line lineweight)

May 1, 07 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

the 'd' is a detail symbol that reflects the header section (showing the 2'-2" and 2'-0" plane break), but, if it is a plane break symbol, then why is the "z" symbol on the storefront (the one indicating 1'-7" and marked "remain new") when that part of the glazing lines up (isn't on different planes). The "eyebrow" is the only thing that steps out or back- the glazing is all on the same plane in plan.

Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate your time!

May 1, 07 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Can't help you there... Sounds like a badly-coordinated / badly-drafted set of drawings. I feel sorry for the poor suckers who have to make sense of it all.

May 1, 07 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

I'm the poor sucker...trying to do shop drawings from elevations and plans that don't match up. just talked to the archinot....he said..."oh yeah, i forgot to change the plan- good catch"

yeah...good catch. thanks.

thanks again for all your help guys...you were right.

and remember....be kind to your contactors (do good drawings) cause one of "you" is on the other end, desperately trying to make sense of your scribbles.

I can't wait to go back to school and get out of the working world ;)

May 1, 07 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

yeah, because things make so much more sense in academics;)

May 1, 07 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

it is a symbol used to show a change in elevation of floor slab - one step usually

May 1, 07 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

jafidler ....but at least it’s ok to confused in school- that's the best part...

I think I'm supposed to know what I'm doing now (shhhh...don't tell 'em)

May 1, 07 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

*to be confused*

May 1, 07 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
Mylarkid

that's not a fucking symbol it's a hairy ass line.

May 1, 07 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

um ok.

May 1, 07 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i would suggest calling the person that drew it and ask them for clarification.

May 1, 07 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

yeah, I did...but he took his time to get back to me...shocker...

yet, with the delay, he still want the shop dwgs

..."immediately"...primarchitect.

May 1, 07 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

And ask them how their school was ranked by Design Intelligence.

May 1, 07 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

hahaha

good point LiG!!!!

May 1, 07 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

shag carpet on a wall...
woulda been funnier, but we actually had a client want to do that

May 1, 07 10:33 pm  · 
 · 

holz I actually just saw so metro-version shag carpetting made from old jeans very metro, everyone just had to touch the wall when they came up the landing

May 1, 07 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

only use for ground level differences, the diagonal hatch is a ground symbol.

not common to do it on elevations or for plane break.

May 2, 07 12:10 am  · 
 · 
sedrik

I have only ever seen these on concrete profiles ...

May 4, 07 2:47 am  · 
 · 
lgnall

found this link thought it was helpful.  shows your symbol as a wall surface. 

https://www.slideshare.net/gopaltry/plan-symbols

May 8, 19 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

I have never seen it used like that on elevations.  

What DIY interior designer gave you those?

May 9, 19 10:34 am  · 
 · 
N.TW

We work with a lot of consultants and I have only ever seen a symbol like this on foundation plans. So to me, these days it means a step up or down. This symbol does not go on elevations. The drafting team was supposed to clarify all of this without relying on elevations alone. Good luck 

May 10, 19 2:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: