anchor

oma - death star

thenewold
http://www.oma.eu/index.php?option=com_projects&view=portal&id=436&Itemid=10

love...

any oma-ers want to leak the inevitable photoshopped star wars images ? haha

- thoughts ?

May 1, 07 11:48 am

somebody should really say something about the emperor's clothes.

...because the designers of this thing are just trying to see what they can get away with.

May 1, 07 11:54 am  · 
 · 
thenewold

that's so clever, I just laughed out loud.... hahaha

May 1, 07 11:58 am  · 
 · 
postal

emprorer's clothes... there's a concept that can be applied to the current state of starchitecture!

May 1, 07 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

wow, im rooting for this thing to be built. its just so funny, architects are too serious

May 1, 07 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

looks sweet.

the only office more exciting than oma is arup.

May 1, 07 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
Alan Loomis

"That's no moon...."

May 1, 07 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
david yang

May 1, 07 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

hey thats a cool photo of Rem, where is that from?

May 1, 07 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFl3TmhU9BM
May 1, 07 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

George Lucas is gonna sue...

May 1, 07 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

The New Old stole my metaphor. MARK!

May 1, 07 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe
May 1, 07 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

help us obi wan.

May 1, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

It looks like an Ipod and a marble

May 1, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
o d b

i was in the rotterdam office recently and i can confirm that yes, there are images of the death star at the top of a sheet of precedent images for this project. it was awesome!

May 1, 07 1:34 pm  · 
 · 

that is the funniest shit i've seen in a long time and recalls Rem's lectures on anti design. Its true what he says that at some it won't be about the best "design" but instead how its marketed.

quite frankly that ipod made out of carboard next that yoyo doesn't move me

May 1, 07 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

Alan: "Its too big to be a convention center."

May 1, 07 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

I'm sure they love the death star analogy at fOMA...

how the hell to you cut spheres out of blue foam anyways? I'd hate to be that intern...

May 1, 07 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
Philarct

Lord Vader and will be most pleased

looks good

May 1, 07 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

I don't think you shuld be so afrait the floors will not be there, that everything shall be Still be directed horisontal by dictate and vertical as this is how things alway's was made.
Now with 3D-H the floors and walls even intire rooms with floors is generated much smarter and a globe shape can even find a porpus plus deliver exact the number of floors at various hight and scaled for trafic , check this -- could be any assembled organic form and the spaces within could even be square boxes --- an interiour so to say, for an Opera, the balconies and upper rooms and seats for an Opera ;

May 1, 07 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
kakacabeza

is this actually a new weapon being constructed for use in the war on terror? i've never seen a convention center with that many floors before.

May 1, 07 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Made from this Solid moden , providing the exact framework to build it ,from material that just need to be cut 2D.

These Emporors Clotches can be build , and there would be a reson with it.

May 1, 07 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell
May 1, 07 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

it's that Per person again... saying something irrelevant... haha

May 1, 07 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Why irelevant -- I see this as sort of useless passtime ; as if there wasn't enough call for new strong houses then architecture is percived as a promenade . I see only structures that fight their honor to the oldfasion 3 planes -- not only do this limit the options but it stay with structural thinking in an oldfasion way , nothing is more relevant than how arogant a structure act. We do not need any death stars it's about new visions not difficult craftmanship to expensive to bring out in reality , it's about daring to challance the tradisional 3 planes . 3D-H do challance the tradisional 3 planes and answer the chalance by delivering floors and walls even these are not on the planes of construction Basta.

May 1, 07 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Per, they're building that last one in Beijing right now.

May 1, 07 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

There goes the thread again...

"As it is built in the mid-east, an unstable region, we envision a building shaped after a planet-destroying sci-fi weapon. Potential suicide bombers will be dispatched by the giant laser beam."

I kind of like it...

May 1, 07 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Fucken eh! That IS the death star!

It could be nice though. I mean everything in that city is going that direction.

May 1, 07 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

well if they used the i.e.d. concept their building could blow itself up!

May 1, 07 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

---> this is some nerd-mail I got a while ago in regard to 9/11 deniers, relevant?

---

UNCOMFORTABLE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE ATTACK: Was it an inside job?

1) Why were a handful of rebel fighters able to penetrate the defenses of a battle station that had the capability of destroying an entire planet and the defenses to ward off several fleets of battle ships?

2) Why did Grand Moff Tarkin refuse to deploy the station’s large fleet of TIE Fighters until it was too late? Was he acting on orders from somebody to not shoot down the rebel attack force? If so, who, and why?

3) Why was the rebel pilot who supposedly destroyed the Death Star reported to be on the Death Star days, maybe hours, prior to its destruction? Why was he allowed to escape, and why were several individuals dressed in Stormtrooper uniforms seen helping him?

4) Why has there not been an investigation into allegations that Darth Vader, the second-ranking member of the Imperial Government, is in fact the father of the pilot who allegedly destroyed the Death Star?

5) Why did Lord Vader decide to break all protocols and personally pilot a lightly armored TIE Fighter? Conveniently, this placed Lord Vader outside of the Death Star when it was destroyed, where he was also conveniently able to escape from a large-sized rebel fleet that had just routed the Imperial forces. Why would Lord Vader, one of the highest ranking members of the Imperial Government, suddenly decide to fly away from the Death Star in the middle of a battle? Did he know something that the rest of the Imperial Navy didn’t?

6) How could any pilot shoot a missile into a 2 meter-wide exhaust port, let alone a pilot with no formal training, whose only claim to fame was his ability to “bullseye womprats” on Tatooine? This shot, according to one pilot, would be “impossible, even for a computer.” Yet, according to additional evidence, the pilot who allegedly fired the missile turned off his targeting computer when he was supposedly firing the shot that destroyed the Death Star. Why have these discrepancies never been investigated, let alone explained?

7) Why has their been no investigation into evidence that the droids who provided the rebels with the Death Star plans were once owned by none other than Lord Vader himself, and were found, conveniently, by the pilot who destroyed the Death Star, and who is also believed to be Lord Vader’s son? Evidence also shows that the droids were brought to one Ben Kenobi, who, records indicate, was Darth Vader’s teacher many years earlier! Are all these personal connections between the conspirators and a key figure in the Imperial government supposed to be coincidences?

8) How could a single missile destroy a battle station the size of a moon? No records, anywhere, show that any battle station or capital ship has ever been destroyed by a single missile. Furthermore, analysis of the tape of the last moments of the Death Star show numerous small explosions along its surface, prior to it exploding completely! Why does all evidence indicate that strategically placed explosives, not a single missile, is what destroyed the Death Star?

May 1, 07 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
postal

Number 8! Hilarious!

...and vindpust, please revisit

May 1, 07 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i love it when vindpust exposes the "Emporor's Clotches."

May 1, 07 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
Gabe Bergeron

Spacy! Here's to designing in a vacuum!

If only it could enter the atmosphere and land appropriately on some specific site, culture, context, climate... SOMEthing locally relevant.

May 1, 07 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Is Per the one the prophecy has spoken of?

May 1, 07 9:18 pm  · 
 · 

i'm loving that nerd mail. Reminds me of that guy, you know that guy, who constantly talks through those movies giving his commentary on everything and how it was done etc

May 1, 07 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
orion

Robot Chick Darth Vader calling the emperor

link

don't knows if this has been posted up before but its still hilarious

May 1, 07 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

"Is Per the one the prophecy has spoken of?"

I gone from boatsbuilding to architecture to design -- so Prophec, Il's think about that.

May 2, 07 5:43 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

"Per, they're building that last one in Beijing right now."

I wouldn't be surprised ;

http://home20.inet.tele.dk/h-3d/kineserier.jpg

May 2, 07 5:48 am  · 
 · 
brown666

sadly this is the one that won the competition...:
http://www.snoarc.no/default.asp?V_DOC_ID=1261

May 2, 07 7:41 am  · 
 · 
med.

"8) How could a single missile destroy a battle station the size of a moon? No records, anywhere, show that any battle station or capital ship has ever been destroyed by a single missile. Furthermore, analysis of the tape of the last moments of the Death Star show numerous small explosions along its surface, prior to it exploding completely! Why does all evidence indicate that strategically placed explosives, not a single missile, is what destroyed the Death Star?"

Because man, it started a CHAIN reaction.

But otherwise, yeah. Darth Vador would have been in deep shit for everything.

May 2, 07 7:59 am  · 
 · 
curt clay

sadly??? Snohetta does dope shit..... you betta recognize...

May 2, 07 8:49 am  · 
 · 
thenewold

Gabe - what does locally relevant actually mean in the UAE or anywhere else ? I've never heard an explanation of what that means beyond corny developers' harebrained ideas to rip off historical styles. This idea of a building being 'related' to 'place' is often put forward as criticism of something deemed too 'foreign' or alien to a site.

It's definitely kind of shallow and unsophisticated of oma to reduce the issue to 'how do we make iconic buildings in the age of blah blah etc etc...' (which is how half their project explanations begin). But in this case, they are basically tasked to make a landmark...

Any good examples of contemporary contextual work? Work that's both iconic but also 'rooted' (whatever that means).

May 2, 07 10:38 am  · 
 · 

maybe it means 'connected by more than highways'?

May 2, 07 11:35 am  · 
 · 
crowbert

Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The power to exhibit a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the force.

Rem, I find your lack of faith disturbing.

May 2, 07 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

crowbert,... hilarious... laughed out loud again....haha

S ward: so does this UAE city have european style street life or is it hot as shit and people don't like walking around so much? does a massive building who's program is single one-off events have any relevance to street life or urban connection at all ? would some other connection be appropriate or even relevant and what would that be ?

May 2, 07 1:55 pm  · 
 · 

i didn't say anything about streetlife, thenewold, but sure, you can find it there. some uae pix:

i was just looking for SOME relation to something real. i'm a fan of rem&co and i know that they've worked in the desert before. it's as good a place as any for a spaceship project.

yeah, so my remark had to do with the total nothingness surrounding the project - nothing except highway and ramp, that is.

May 2, 07 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the whole spaceship in the desert etc idea is so antoine predock circa 1987.

May 2, 07 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
aml

i would've gone further back to 1927... remember rem loves his constructivists. ivan leodinov's project for the lenin institute:

May 2, 07 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
aml

oops. leonidov. sorry, spelling... anyways:

[of course i do agree the death star is a more immediate precedent]

May 2, 07 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
Alan Loomis

You will .."pay the price for your lack of vision."

"Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design."

Apparently Thom Mayne is also watching Star Wars these days > http://www.planetizen.com/node/24069

May 2, 07 6:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: