Archinect
anchor

What is it like being an Architect?

StoicMind

Hey I'm 16 and I plan to get a Bachelors in Civil (Structural) Engineering, then get a masters in Architecture. More than likely I'll be doing Architecture/ Structural Engineering for the Air Force, but I'm not sure which one I want to put an emphasis on, so I want to know in detail what it is like being an architect and how it contrast with being a Structural Engineer. Also what are some prerequisites to architecture that I should consider starting now, like getting familiar with; a certain program or certain skill.  

Sep 8, 12 6:06 pm
mantaray

Well this is quite an open-ended question.  It's lovely being an architect, and crappy also, just like many (all?) things in life.  If you want detailled answers, can you ask more detailled questions?  You are asking us to describe our lives in detail.  How can we do that?

In terms of prerequisites, one of the great(est) things about architecture is that truly, nearly everything feeds into it.  You are designing spaces for people, and for functions.  Learn about people and functions.  Learn about the world.  History.  Philosophy.  Literature.  Art.  Music.  What does man create?  How does he create it and why?  What are the patterns behind the universe? (math, physics, biology, art...)

It's hard to be more specific than that without knowing what you like, personally.  Do you like to draw?  Learning how to draw will help you unlock your mind's perception of the world around you, and help you learn how to analyze (break down into elements, and imagine new configurations) of your environment (built & natural).  Do you like computers?  Learn a 3d modeling program and develop your mind's capacity to visualize in three dimensions.  Do you like to work with your hands?  Learn about the qualities of the materials in our world: what does it mean to work with wood?  concrete?  glass?  Lean sculpture: again, train your mind to break down and understand 3-dimension space in an intimate way.  Study the history of civilizations and their built environments.  Why did the build the way they did?  How did they occupy the space, and why?  What impact did that have on how their civilization subsequently developed?  Learn about the natural environment: how has it shaped the way we inhabit space?  

Sep 8, 12 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

"one of the great(est) things about architecture is that truly, nearly everything feeds into it.  You are designing spaces for people, and for functions.  Learn about people and functions.  Learn about the world.  History.  Philosophy.  Literature.  Art.  Music.  What does man create?  How does he create it and why?  What are the patterns behind the universe? (math, physics, biology, art...)"

^^mantaray - you just summed it up perfectly as to why so many of us love architecture

Sep 11, 12 12:28 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

StoicMind - Not only is this a really difficult question to answer because of the incredible diversity of possible outcomes in architecture, but also because you are only 16, and the things you find interesting today might not be interesting tomorrow.  Not to mention the fact that, in my opinion, almost the entire point of a college education is to expose you to ideas you are currently not even aware of.  All that being said, in the most general of terms, consider architecture a broad an all-encompassing type of engineering.  You will deal with and need an understanding of structural, civil, electrical, mechanical, hvac, plumbing, landscaping... on and on...  In the structural field you will be expected to be an expert, but only in your field of expertise...

I appreciate and respect that you are thinking so far ahead as to wonder what you might like being better, a structural engineer or an architect.  But I would make another suggestion.  Stop thinking about it!  Go to class and see what lights you up.  If you are proactive in your education, this question will answer itself by the time the decision is ready to be made.

Sep 11, 12 10:01 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

how does the air force figure into your thinking?

Sep 11, 12 11:48 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

I agree mantaray.    

Sep 11, 12 12:39 pm  · 
 · 

A prerequisite for architecture?   Mostly just being old, ha ha.  But seriously, I suppose that's one of the biggest differences between architecture and engineering.  If you know how to do the calculations, then you can be a competent engineer without necessarily having much life experience.  But to be an architect, you really need to know as much about living as possible.

Yo!

Sep 11, 12 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
Maria M

From my perspective and experience (12 years in architecture, 8 as a qualified architect in UK): architecture is a wonderful profession but very frustrating – low pay, long hours, construction industry is cyclical so you probably will end up losing your job at least once in your career due to economy being bad; also, its very competitive. But if you are enthusiastic and definitely think it’s your thing then you might succeed, especially if your family are wealthy and can help out. But personally, I would stick with Structural Engineering as its more respected profession, and sometimes more creative in a sense your opinion actually has some weight. Also, I think working for the Air Force is a very good idea.

In terms of programs – CAD (AutoCAD, Revit and whatever it is you guys are using in the States), and graphic software – Adobe suite (or similar) is a must. 3D rendering software knowledge is also a good thing to have. Good hand drawing/ sketching skills will be useful, too. 

Good luck! :)

Sep 12, 12 6:42 am  · 
 · 
zonker

Also, architecture is a very unfair profession - only the most talented, highly regarded are treated fairly - average folk, those over 40, those that did nor graduate from top schools are taken advantage of - The recession was extremely cruel to many of us - I for one have 4 years exp all with Revit and am only making entry level pay - you don't want to end up in my shoes and be disrespected. I am just a tool in my office - all those all nighters went to waste

Sep 12, 12 11:38 am  · 
 · 
zonker

Also like many others have said - it's very competitive - If you aren't willing to do what it takes to be the best - then you will be in poverty - like I am now, living in Oakland where there are bars on the doors - also there is much more age discrimination than in structural engineering. 

Sep 12, 12 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Architecture is like being in love with someone who dosen't love you back. 

Sep 12, 12 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Xenakis: Is age discrimination really that prevalent?

Sep 12, 12 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

more now than before the recession - the recession has increased the levels of societal unfairness

Sep 12, 12 7:32 pm  · 
 · 

As a lice nsed Architect, there are two considerations regarding the "what is it like"; one, there is the feeling that you have arrived at a position of pedigre in the following of the ancestrial line of Sir Christopher Wren, and secondly; there is the feeling of "wtf" and wake up!

I suppose feelings are subjective.

Sep 14, 12 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Mantary great post! you knocked it out of the park! 

Sep 14, 12 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

LMAO JIA-X  so true! 

Sep 14, 12 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

fuck it. just go be a house wife and make tasty snacks for lunch.

or gorge yourself on the rocketfuel for winners (and losers) that is architecture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nom nom.

Sep 14, 12 11:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: