Archinect
anchor

Tell me about Austin...

curly

I've had this recent obsession with Austin, TX. I'm in DC right now and ready for an escape, as well as some more open minded architecture. Is Austin the hip, outdoorsy, design-oriented, yet less materialistic haven I'm imagining it to be??

Also, anyone know anything about how young architects get positions as guest studio professors, if that's even possible? Sounds intriguing...

Apr 29, 07 5:19 pm
oldirty

Go to the search box, type in Austin, and you will find some information. This has been discussed as recently as earlier this week.

Apr 29, 07 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Smokey would mark AuStIn an 8.

Apr 29, 07 10:37 pm  · 
 · 

many bars...6th street is amazing.

I would suspect the best to end up on a jury panel, is to tell someone you are interested in doing that...you might find that person at the local architects meeting (AIA-austin chapter, i dunno) or ring up a lecturer there.

Apr 30, 07 3:31 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

here's a question for you: have you ever been to Austin?

Apr 30, 07 10:35 am  · 
 · 
mrfletchersevil

Austin is the shiznit, I've lived here for seven years and I love it. Amazing social scene, amazing music scene, beautiful girls, gorgeous scenery, moderate climate (*ok it can get REALLY hot in the summer but thats what all the beautiful springs and rivers are for!), activities out the wazoo. If you like any or all of the above then Austin is the city for you. Its got a burgeoning (sp?) architecture scene for a city its size and this last weekend the city got together and celebrated Eeyore's (from whinnie the poo) birthday. What more could you ask for? I've never talked to anyone that regretted moving here. It's basically a city filled with a bunch of creative people just doing their own thing. Sadly though, it is getting pretty crowded recently : ( ..... but thats probably whats driving the architecture scene right now so i guess there's a positive side to it. What did i do in Austin this last week? Played disc golf three times, went mountain biking, celebrated Eeyore's birthday, caught some of the best blues music outside of new orleans or chicago, caught a couple of art flicks, watched quentin tarantino get wasted off newcastle at jo's coffee, ate some of the best mexican food in texas, etc. etc.

Apr 30, 07 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
mrfletchersevil

"Is Austin the hip, outdoorsy, design-oriented, yet less materialistic haven I'm imagining it to be??"

yes.

Apr 30, 07 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

wow, can anyone move there?

Apr 30, 07 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

i visited there last october and loved it. i have an Aunt that's been there for 15 years and has seen how fast the town is developing.... she wouldn't move if she was paid to.

you can't go wrong with free wireless internet city-wide, hot ladies, local live music, great food, and nice people. i'm actually thinking of moving there myself. the only downside i've heard of and actually seen is the traffic. but hey, that's beginning to be everywhere, right?

Apr 30, 07 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
mrfletchersevil

Yeah the traffic sucks, but hey, good excuse to buy a cool new vespa right? Yeah eastcoast, "free city-wide wireless" is pretty cool too, i forgot to mention that...

Apr 30, 07 5:42 pm  · 
 · 

its also beautiful in the spring time

Apr 30, 07 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

i thought it was funny that when i was down there in october, i was walking around with shorts, t-shirt, and some sandals. i noticed a lot of the people there were wearing hoodies and long pants... being that it was 78 degrees that day and sunny, i thought this to be funny. they should head up here to maryland for a day in january-february.

May 2, 07 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
Juan Flan

I've only been living here for 2 months and I have to leave in about another month to go to school in Cincinnati. I can't imagine any place is as good as this place. I imagine Cincinnati being ok but I don't think any place is like Austin at the moment. It really has everything including the Whole Foods flagship store. SXSW was pretty cool with the different open bars throughout the week. I also live in the Barton Springs area which is like a walk down to the river. If you do decide to move here I would say look into moving into the Barton Springs area.

May 2, 07 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

an island in a cesspool.

May 3, 07 12:53 am  · 
 · 
curly

Hm...so you've all only served to confirm my suspicions about how great Austin is. I've read some other posts that express resentment towards all the influx of people like me, who decide to move there for no particular reason. I haven't been there yet, but plan to at least visit very soon! Thanks for the tips, and the, uh, inspiring pics of Stone Cold.

May 3, 07 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
oldirty

"an island in a cesspool."

Please,curly, if you do decide to move to Austin, do not bring the quoted attitude with you-hopefully you dont have it-it's so snobbish, smug, and distasteful. I'm a native Austinite and loved growing up there, I think it's improved and I miss it, but there seems to be a good number of people with that attitude and it's awful.

May 3, 07 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I have a friend that plays Bass in Austin....her name is Rae....hope you catch her when your out clubing...

May 3, 07 7:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: