Archinect
anchor

UCLA's and Other Studio Facilties

Spackle

Hi,

I am looking into MArch I programs. A big selling point for me is the studio culture and facilities. As a California resident, UCLA is at the top of my list. Unfortunately, I am out of the country and won't have a chance to visit before applications are due. 

Anyway, I'd really appreciate it if you guys could share photos, opinions or information on how things are setup and run there. 

FYI - I visited U.Michigan last year and I really liked their ginormous and open studio space and all of their incredible machines.

What other programs compare to Michigan?  

Thanks in Advance.

Sep 7, 12 9:40 pm
RandomMistakes

I'm surprised that nobody has replied to this yet...
I'm just entering the UCLA M.Arch1 program in a couple weeks, so if you can hang on I'll get you some pics and more information.

I've only taken a self guided tour of the school so maybe someone will chime in and correct me, but based on your photo the UCLA studios are smaller/more divided (see the photo below that I found online).  There are two main corridors (which might be 2 studios each?) separated by a very small computer lab in the center and walled off rooms on either end that might hold more studios.  This is all on the top floor, which was the only studio area I found.  The other floors contain the fabrication lab/shop and what appear to be standard classrooms.

I'd love to tell you more but since the semester hasn't started yet, I haven't spent any real time in the building.

Sep 10, 12 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
joker

Studio space is kind of limited -- it's all on the top floor and you'll likely only have one desk for both your computer and any model making you plan to do there. However, it's not too uncommon for some lucky students to rearrange their desks into cubicles by grabbing unused desks.

The fabrication lab/shop in the basement is on the small side and filled with an old(ish), but impressive array of equipment. In addition to the standard wood shop hardware (table saw, sanders, etc), there are 2 laser cutters, 2 powder-based 3D printers, 2 CNC routers, and 2 vacuum formers. They're also working on an off-site shop for metal work. Last I heard, it should be opening this year or next year.

The computer lab and print room, which divide the top level studio space, are rather small. 12 computers and 5 plotters are shared amongst all architecture students (this includes the 60 or so undergrads). They're not the fastest computers in the world, but you'd probably be buying your own anyway.

I won't lie, the facilities at UCLA are a bit decrepit (really, few architecture schools aren't housed in the worst building on campus). The best part is, there are virtually no rules despite what they [have to] tell you. Phil, the shop manager, is really cool about experimenting with the equipment (e.g. using a CNC router configured for wood to cut sheet metal -- provided you sweep the metal shavings after). As long as you don't break the equipment or burn down the building, you're golden.

While it can be scary if you're the type who needs a little help with using unfamiliar machines, there's always a very knowledgeable fellow student (or Phil) around who's willing to help. Speaking of the students, they're generally awesome people (the ones I've met anyway --it's always a gamble with each new class). From what I've seen, they all favor working in studio where they can bounce ideas around.

I'd tell you more about the M.Arch program, but I was only an undergrad there. The work that comes out of there is always well articulated (they make sure of it). Aaaaand that's my shameless plug for UCLA!

Sep 10, 12 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
RandomMistakes

To go with @Joker's explanation, here are a couple photos I took today to give you a sense of scale.

One wing of the top floor, with the computer labs on the right:

The uppermost area above the computer/printing labs:

It may be an old building, but you can't beat the courtyard view:

Sep 11, 12 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Ah, those images really take me back.  Good (and late) times in Perloff....

Sep 11, 12 11:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: