Archinect
anchor

Help - exterior wall tile detail

Rottnme

Can anyone help me find some information on how to properly detail exterior wall tile on a curved wall?

Our typicall is to use a 1/2" Burarock backer on straight walls with tile over the top. The curved entry walls are posing the challenge. The curve has a 4' radius, the project is in Wisconsin and will be subject to relatively harsh winter conditions. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Apr 27, 07 9:38 am
liberty bell

What is the curved wall made of? I'm thinking you're asking for failure if it's stud construction...

Apr 27, 07 10:55 am  · 
 · 
Rottnme

Sorry I should have been more clear on that. They are stud walls. Right now we are looking at using 1 layer of 1/4" plwd sheathing, daimond mesh and cementicious coating as a rigid base layer (somewhat equivalent to the Durarock), finished off with tile using epoxy adhesive and grout. The walls will be partially protected by an entry canopy, but I'm not sure that that is enough to prevent problems and I find it hard to believe that this hasn't been done before hence my looking for help.

Apr 27, 07 11:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: