Archinect
anchor

gasometers in London

bande_a_part

Hi, has anyone came across on of those gasomenters along the Regents Canal in London? I'm thinking about redeveloping the structure into a vertical storage for boats and am wondering if the lattice columns can support more than just the usual gasomenter drum...

Apr 24, 07 11:57 pm
antipod

I don't think the columns actually take the vertical load of the drum, they are just there for lateral support I think.

If you look at the drums they spin up and down depending on the amount of gas inside. I think the weight of the drum is what essentially provides the supply pressure.

What kind of boats are you going to store? I don't mean to be critical but where is the demand for a dry-stack on a canal? Is this a student project?

The ones by Kings Cross are being re-used as part of the Argent development scheme. Have a look here: http://www.argentkingscross.co.uk/

Apr 25, 07 8:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: