Archinect
anchor

public parks under highways?

i need a little help...

i remember reading about a public park that was built underneath an elevated highway a few years ago and i can't remember where/what it was... i think that it may have had some bike trails, a dog park, and maybe a skate park... does this ring any bells? i want to say that it was in portland, or maybe seattle (not freeway park by halprin)... or if you know of anything similar i'd appreciate it...

thanks in advance...

Apr 23, 07 3:40 pm
quixotica

FDR park is one of philadelphia's best skate parks and it is built under I-95

Apr 23, 07 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
n_

jingan park in shanghai. loud, very loud.

Apr 23, 07 4:17 pm  · 
 · 

thanks... i think that the I-5 colonnade in seattle was the one that i read about... any other projects would be appreciated...

Apr 23, 07 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
njp

there's a popular skate park in vancouver...can't recall exact location.

Apr 23, 07 5:43 pm  · 
 · 

louisville's waterfront park by hargreaves and its skatepark are both under/adjacent to i64. not a bad condition - in fact the city LOVES these parks - but we're also fighting like hell to keep 64 from being widened across them.

Apr 23, 07 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

That park Steven posted in Louisville under the freeway is great - there is a crazy intimacy between the columns supporting the roadway and this lovely expanse of quotidian lawn.

I saw a performance by Survival Research Labs under the Seattle freeway once. Not really in a park, more of an abandoned post-industrial lot, but by now it's probably a park.

Apr 23, 07 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

channel street skate park in san pedro, ca

Apr 23, 07 10:01 pm  · 
 · 

Several proposals for parks over highways have been recently floated- see boston, hollywood and try googling for more!

Not under a highway, but very exciting is the new Rio de Los Angeles State Park on the old Union Pacific Taylor Yards next to the LA river that just opened. By Katie Spitz Associates- I almost made this a news post, but the right eyeballs will read this thread and take notice.

LAtimes

Apr 23, 07 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

In Buenos Aires there are many basketball courts underneath highways.

Apr 23, 07 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

is that her nose, or is she eatin a banana?

Apr 23, 07 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

i know that riverside park in NYC tends to snake under the west side highway once you hit the west 60's. Its my favorite part of the park at 4:30 am when nobody's around.

Apr 23, 07 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

architphil - if Portland rings a bell, you're thinking about Burnside.

http://www.skateoregon.com/Burnside/Burnside.html

Apr 24, 07 7:18 am  · 
 · 

architphil, not sure about the park you're looking for. But, for general archinect interest in parks/under bridge things:

In east LA, Hollenbeck Park slips under the I-5/I-10 freeways. Awesome space though not really used at all.

Also, see this discussion

Apr 24, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
asds

there's a proposal for a park over the 101 at hollywood and vine in la. it's called the "hollywood central park".
http://www.hollywoodchamber.net/business/econdev.asp#MembersonParkProject
or just do a google search...

Apr 24, 07 9:36 pm  · 
 · 

calpoly- try archinect search in the news section...

Apr 25, 07 8:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: