Archinect
anchor

Le Corbusier liked big butts and he could not lie?

work for idle hands

is it just me or has anyone else noticed that more than a few authors have made reference to corb's 'affinity' for full figured females... frampton's 'modern architecture' among others mentions that his wanderings of the beaches of algiers in no small way picqued his interest in some of the native female junk..and of course he had a trist of sorts with dancer Josephine Baker and made reference to her being the standard of beauty of sorts.. I also seem to recall in i think one of Jencks texts references to a comment he made to a full-figured female friend of her 'ample assests' which was delivered with sincerity and not taken offensively..thought i can't remember where i read that.

they ellude that the curvy and ample forms of buildings like ronchamp and the master plan for algiers was a product of his interests... i wonder if this is just 'sensationalist' conclusions drawn by critics or if there was more to it. wouldn't be the first time that idiot writers drew specious and ridiculous conclusions about a building's form just to spice of a book. my first thought would be that he was just a typical man in that time period but its been mentioned quite a bit.

plus i'm proving that a pointless thread can actually be about architecture

Apr 23, 07 3:05 pm
mightylittle™

sex and frivolity, i want you to meet architecture, architecture meet sex and frivolity.

and there was much merriment among the masses!

Apr 23, 07 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
charlatan

Fat bottomed girls ... they make the architecture world go round.

Apr 23, 07 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Check out Oscar's new theatre. His inspiration, obviously, was the female figure.

http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=56084_0_42_0_C

Apr 23, 07 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
curt clay

In terms of time, my understanding, is that it is directly related to the time of his self-imposed exile where he spend a lot of time up in the mountains painting... I believe it is also during this time period, when he and Picasso became friends.

It is during this same period where Picasso had made several trips to Africa and began implementing "full-figured" and "curvy" women into his paintings..

Corb followed suit in his art, and then upon his return to architecture the "curvy" Ronchamp was born...

I would then argue that Ronchamp is inherently architecture rooted in African culture and forms....

there are scientific and genetic studies to support the larger posterior areas of Africans, so althought it appears inherenly discriminatory, one could argue that Africans have bigger butts than their white European counterparts... So Corb wasn't painting "phat French bootys"...

Apr 23, 07 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

One could argue the entire modernist movement was rooted in African culture and forms.

I for one, love curves in buildings. I hate actually trying to make them though as it is alot of work for me without a computer.

Apr 23, 07 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

picasso was not a modernist.

Apr 23, 07 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

well, i stand corrected, what was he then? Cubist? I simply wanted to illustrate the connection between the general modernist movement (which I believe includes Picasso) and African art/forms.

Apr 23, 07 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

i don't know much about picasso. I think corb's later work illustrated more a breakdown of his belief that the world could be changed by modern architecture and that any of his planned theoretical cities would actually logistically work (at least not to the literal extent they were planned)... i'd argue that his expressive use of natural materials or at least bare materials such as exposed concrete and the 'hands on' sculpted feel was much more indicative of his inspiration by primative cultures be it african or otherwise than any formal language that resulted... he actually did very few non-rectilinear buildings in his career. even when he partially resurrected the earlier 'center of power' themes and such for chandigargh the rural indian landscape became the primary inspiration for the concept. all of his later works to me seemed to have that 'primitive hut out in the landscape' feel more than his early villas did...one could even argue that he saw more life and humanity in the simpler primative communities than he ever did in the countless mediocre design teams and groups, government bodies and rhetoric spewers he always seemed to get involved with and either hated him or loved him way too much... i can see how he'd get disillusioned with modern society.

the guy probably did prefer big girls if they keep referring to it... but i fail to see how that made a significant contribution to any of his design work really. i think he always had much more lucritive intentions than sexually themed architecture....i just think its funny in a kind of childish way... also don't forget niemyer was at one point a protege of corb.

Apr 23, 07 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
oe

Wheres that king-pimp-corb image I made years back?

Apr 23, 07 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

les demoiselles d' avignon was realized several years before the advent of analytical cubism. although, picasso was influenced by african masks etc, these contortions were added after the work was significantly completed. the multiplicity of viewpoints of could have been just as inspired by certain works of antiquity and the middle ages. also, the development of picasso's work in this realm owes a great deal to courbet and of course to cezanne. you might wanna retake art history 102.

Apr 23, 07 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Ouch man, i did pretty good in art history. It is simply i have always associated Picasso with the modernist "movement". I also knew that Les Demoiselles d' Avignon was not an analytical cubist piece. Yet what i was told in my art history class, is that many artists at the time were taking inspiration from all these African artifacts arriving in Europe and i think that affected the movement. Yet you still haven't answered my question, if Picasso, as broad an artist as he was, could be identified with a movement, what would it be? You say he's not a modernist, I was given the impression he was.

Apr 23, 07 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you can be modern and not be a modernist. picasso had no interest in getting rid of what came before him.

Apr 23, 07 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

true that.

Apr 23, 07 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

wait a minute, are you implying modernism had an interest in getting rid of precedent? I thought that was the realm of the futurists.

Apr 23, 07 11:35 pm  · 
 · 

naw the futurists didn't want to get rid of the past

Apr 23, 07 11:44 pm  · 
 · 

they just didn't believe it had a place in the present if a culture of [...] wants to develop

Apr 23, 07 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

interesting point. I still find the notion of modernism getting rid of precedent a tad odd, even though the movement meant "newness", i find much of it is rooted in the precedent. I guess it is impossible to have a completely "new" idea.

Apr 23, 07 11:50 pm  · 
 · 

pretty much

Apr 24, 07 12:05 am  · 
 · 

moot point :: everyone liked big butts until the emergence of visual media...and the mediated concept of [what is] beautiful

impressionist & renaissance paintings of full figured women predates Corbusier & Picasso.

Apr 24, 07 12:07 am  · 
 · 

Salvador Dali declared Corbusier to be the "the Trojan Horse of Bolshevism"

Apr 24, 07 12:11 am  · 
 · 

Corb had a big butt?

Apr 24, 07 12:13 am  · 
 · 
Mirin

that's ingenious oldfogey

Apr 24, 07 1:56 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

Why cavemen liked curvy cavewomen...(like Kylie)
09/03/07

By Martin Evans

Ancient carvings depicting the female form 15,000 years ago reveal that prehistoric women were revered for their curvaceous bodies and prominent buttocks.

The most popular were the cave-dwellers’ equivalents of Kylie Minogue ,whose renowned behind is the world’s most popular posterior.

Historians claim that the carvings – found at a site in Poland – reveal how curvy bottoms were regarded as the most attractive physical trait for women in Stone Age Europe.

Experts said a well-presented bottom was a sign of wealth, health and a good diet.

They also suggested she would be a successful mother, able to produce lots of children and sent out a message to other men that her partner was a strong and successful hunter – making him more attractive to other women.

Around 30 of the figurines were unearthed at the dig and archaeologists believe they would have been carried by the travelling hunters as items of decorative beauty to admire while they were away from home and their loved ones.

The flat carvings were fashioned out of flint, bone, ivory and tooth.

They depict the profile of women minus their heads – strongly suggesting that cavemen were more interested in the shape of the body than the way a female looked.

Romuald Schild, of the Polish Academy of Sciences, who led the dig, said: “The engravings and figurines adhere to a style depicting feminine silhouettes with over represented buttocks.”

Apr 24, 07 2:26 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i have a couple of photos to add to nevermore's post...these are etruscan and roman artifacts i captured from my visit to the getty villa...

large hips are lovely!

fat bottomed girls....make the world go 'round-charlatan

Apr 24, 07 2:55 am  · 
 · 
o d b

wow oldfogey that was amazing

Apr 24, 07 10:20 am  · 
 · 
not without

exhibits on ancient iberian sculptures, which were on display pre-d'avignon, are also attributed to picassos use of seemingly artefactual representations. hes clearly in what is considered a period of modern art, a classification that bears a resemblance to modernist, one who perpetuates that which is modern. modern is not simply the slash and burn of history, it is the proposition of an end of history, a positivist night-cap drunk with the satisfaction that something must end the war to end all wars. why not a belief in the future, as we make it new today? this newness also examined protean notions of art and perception, history, land and habitation, among other things and stuffs.

as for picasso and corboo, one (like me) could say he consciously trailed behind the spaniard...purism was packaged as being part of cubisms lineage, and check out the glass at ronchamp or the book produced for his 1958 phillips electronic pavilion in brussels (poem electronique): there you will see picassos calligraphic style, a la corb.

Apr 24, 07 3:48 pm  · 
 · 

OF is on a rhyming roll of his interpretation of "baby's got back" by Sir Mixalot

Apr 24, 07 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

OldFogey you are like a hip-hop architect/prophet or something. That was amazing. I will call you Old Dirty Fogey.

Apr 24, 07 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

stop snitchin'

Apr 24, 07 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

the O.D.F.! Hells yeah!

Apr 24, 07 10:05 pm  · 
 · 

I just finished reading the taschen monograph on Corb and am finding Old Fogey hip hop rendition a nice addition (supplemental reading perhaps)

Apr 25, 07 12:00 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

I can't see this is relevant at all ; me I fancy nice swell houses that can be build at a fraction the cost and ontop be made from compressed straw or just anything that will make a sheet material ready to form whatever wonderfull house any size, four times as strong --- Popeye me if that shuld be more or less relevant than LeCorb's wildest pastice.

Apr 25, 07 2:55 pm  · 
 · 

Popeye? Lol vindpust...you always know how to put a smile on my face

Apr 25, 07 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

really vin? I thought you facied 3D-H houses.

Apr 25, 07 10:32 pm  · 
 · 

hmm wall plates...been a while since i worked on anything using that

Apr 26, 07 12:06 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

I love the lyrics also the Popeye part of me like that very much ,but I didn't know LeCorb invented that.

Apr 26, 07 7:37 am  · 
 · 
mfrech

is it true that he got that leg scar as a child from an oversized stone puti coming to life, swooping down from the ornament and gnawing on his leg? (what i can only imagine compelled him to disavow the architectural status quo?)

is that even a scar i'm seeing? what's on his leg?

Apr 26, 07 8:50 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Could be something added digital . Eh wasn't it concrete LeCorb understood so good ?

Apr 26, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

they say boating accident:

http://www.gravestmor.com/wp/archives/2006/03/09/le-corbusier-painting-sans-vetements/

Apr 26, 07 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

given that and the shady circumstances of his death, he didn't seem to have the best of luck in the water...

Apr 26, 07 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Right --- but I am sure the picture are a digital fake --- the head are not LeCorb at all, it looks like some chinese minister ,you just see the glasses and the head are to big for the body , --- and the picture to the right obviously are digitaly sharpened.

Apr 26, 07 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
kdollaghan

old fogey, you are brilliant. i am sitting here laughing out loud alone in a room.

Apr 26, 07 2:57 pm  · 
 · 

Vin that's actually a real pic of Corb, sorry mate

May 5, 07 3:30 am  · 
 · 
bRink

yeah, that's a real pic of corbu during the nutty days leading up to his death painting murals all over the walls of eileen gray's house where he eventually drowned in a the lake while going for a swim...

yeah he was one wild and crazy guy... and he liked big butts

May 6, 07 12:06 am  · 
 · 
clerestory strip™

Those lyrics are HILARIOUS! I actually thought about doing a remix of Missy Elliott's "Get Your Freak On" called "Get Your Grid On"...about Richard Meier and his white grids...

May 23, 07 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
rondo mogilskie

Mies so horny. Mies love you long time.

May 23, 07 7:06 pm  · 
 · 

OldFogey = Genius!

"So Corb's hooked up with a skeeze
Knock-kneed chicks with legs like pilotis!"

May 24, 07 1:38 am  · 
 · 
ronaldkess

OK maybe that is the reason or the inspiration behind these Le Corbusier Grande Sofa LC3

and if you wanna have all the girls that he actually inspired you can get this at http://www.regencyshop.com/Sofas-/-Sectionals/c32/p89/Le-Corbusier-Grande-Sofa-LC3/product_info.html

Jun 23, 11 7:47 am  · 
 · 
Ross Smith

Well I guess you are right.I checked you link http://www.regencyshop.com/Sofas-/-Sectionals/c32/p89/Le-Corbusier-Grande-Sofa-LC3/product_info.html.Well I think that's why he came up with the Le Corbusier Grande Sofa LC3 You might want to get one for you butt as well.You can order one from the link with hassle free shipping.The cost is very affordable as well.

Jun 25, 11 4:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: