Archinect
anchor

GSD housing anyone?

twicelastyear

Trying to find an apartment in inman, central, porter or somerville to move in august 1st or september 1st. I'll be a first year MArch I...looking for suggestions and/or potential roomates...anyone? Bueller?

Apr 22, 07 11:46 pm
twicelastyear

Found a four bedroom for 2600/month a 2 min. walk from the building......

Apr 23, 07 10:49 am  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

where are you looking? craigslist? broker?
i saw some listings for roommates/potential matches on HRES.
http://hres.roommateclick.com/

can anyone from gsd give us a lowdown on what areas are good for first years. ave prices. is anyone considering dorms?

Apr 23, 07 11:05 am  · 
 · 
twicelastyear

craigslist just now...

Apr 23, 07 11:11 am  · 
 · 
jwillefo

That seems pretty cheap for four bedrooms. But are people still willing to live with 3 other roommates post-college?

I am looking for places in inman, central, porter or somerville as well. I think the best deals are found from graduating students.

Apr 23, 07 11:45 am  · 
 · 

I live in Central Sq. (after coming from Union Sq. in Somerville) and think its a great area and would recommend it to anyone. You can find gems in Cambridgeport (the 'hood south of Central), although the area is quickly going the route of condo-fication.

Apr 23, 07 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
a51abductee

As far as availability, it might be a good idea to wait a little bit longer until after 1st June, when the landlords will know what's going on for 1st August (if that's what your aiming for). I'm hoping to make a scouting trip over there in early June.

Waiting is tough.. it feels like this is going to be a long summer. I want to quit my job tomorrow and move to Boston next week.

Apr 24, 07 6:10 am  · 
 · 

Look at: http://www.hres.harvard.edu/rre.htm

I really recommend to be as close to school as possible specially for MArch, MLA, and MUP I's. I actually just moved (will blog about the reasons soon) from the Peabody Terrace in front of the river, to literally next door to the school.

Apr 24, 07 6:48 am  · 
 · 
Balagan

+q,

I agree with you, I also am trying to live as close to Gund Hall as possible.

I see quite a few rooms currently available in 22-24 Prescott St., can you tell me anything about that building? If it's any good and such...I know it was just recently renovated.

472 Broadway looks nice also...

I'm an incoming MArch II student for this fall, and am just wondering if I should go ahead and lock one of these places down right now, or wait until May when they give me viewing and choosing windows for all available housing.

Apr 24, 07 8:44 am  · 
 · 

I partly moved to make sure I got in where I wanted to, you may choose to wait but if you are ready I would move now. I walked past prescott everyday and it looks really nice to me.

q

Apr 24, 07 10:22 am  · 
 · 
Balagan

Alright man, thanks a lot!

Apr 24, 07 11:24 am  · 
 · 
twicelastyear

hey balagan, where were the Prescott listings?

Apr 24, 07 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

hi +q

where did you move to? i was think 85 prescott looked very nice. and 1306 mass ave was near a lot of restauarants and food vendors, but it's across the yard. is walking across the yard pretty safe at night? what about houses on/around kirkland/francis?

so do you generally recommend affiliated housing? can you recommend any good areas? do you think botanic gardens or 29 garden st. is too far?

is anyone considering dorms? is there a good shuttle system that operates late nights too?

can someone pls make this easy and just say straight up, xyz is the best place to live so lock it down now. hehe.

Apr 24, 07 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

-twice

They were on the Harvard Affiliated Housing website, you have to apply for an account before you can look at them.

Apr 24, 07 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
jwillefo

I just filled out the graduate housing form last night. At first I thought a lot of the housing was pretty expensive and subpar, but after looking at the site, there are some nice places, for reasonable prices. They're all close to campus as well.

cds-werebroken, walking across campus is definitely safe at night.

Apr 25, 07 9:46 am  · 
 · 
albertbt

Did anybody apply for the GSAS dorms? Is that something very many GSD students do (I know they only have 40 available)?

Part of me cringes at the thought of being back in a dormitory as a graduate student, but I thought it might be beneficial for someone like me who doesn't know anyone in the Boston area...

Apr 28, 07 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

check out cambridgepads.com. I haven't used their services but it seems as though they have a good selection of listings throughout the Boston area...

Apr 28, 07 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
jwillefo

I've heard from several people to avoid the GSAS dorms. I lived in the law school dorms last summer for career discovery... I'd rather live in a cardboard box than go through that again.

Apr 29, 07 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

so i applied for affilate housing and i have a viewing window in late june. any gsd students have reviews about which housing options are best (i.e. 29 garden vs. prescott vs. 1306 mass closer to the sq. near food establishments). are any of them more convenient bc of access to food or proximity (my main concerns :P)

May 7, 07 12:35 am  · 
 · 
Balagan

I'm also applying with a view window in late June, my question is are there gonna be any rooms left by then??

They say that application for housing is very competititve...
What are the chances that you're gonna get stuck with none/crappy choices?

Can anyone who'e been through the process dissuade my fears?

BTW I think Prescott Street is a nice balance between being close to the GSD and harvard square shops, mass ave is nice too.

May 7, 07 6:54 am  · 
 · 
jwillefo

My window is in two weeks. Hopefully I'll have some choices. It seems that right now, there are several studios available. What are the two of you looking for? Studio, 1br, 2br? I'd love to live by myself, but it's definitely a lot cheaper to have a roommate. And from speaking to current GSD students, you'll never see your roommate(s) anyway.

May 7, 07 8:51 am  · 
 · 
Balagan

Aww, lucky you...
I'm looking at studios or 1br...

There used to be quite a few studios currently available in 22-24 Prescott, but it seems that they have been dissappearing quite rapidly the past few days.

I just can't justify starting my lease right now when I'll most likely be moving in in late August.

May 7, 07 10:40 am  · 
 · 
Specksynder

I am also looking for housing, and have been trying to sort stuff out on craig's list.

I'm, originally from MA, but have been living in PHX for a while now. I probably won't be back until late July/early Aug.

Has anybody gone out on a limb and tried to get a place hoping to get other roommates to fill it. Would anyone be willing to go out on that limb? Becasue I would be a willing roommate.

Obviously it is a weird situation, but as D-Day gets closer it might benefit us if we could get a group of people to just commit on getting a bigger place divi up rooms.

What price ranges are people looking at? For rooms in a shared place it seems like the ave. has been $700-$900.

Let me know if anyone wants to potentially look at going in on a place that opens in August.

Jun 3, 07 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Ho! A Moby Dick reference!!!!!

Jun 3, 07 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
Specksynder

Indeed it is.

Jun 4, 07 3:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: