Archinect
anchor

Salt Lake City Ieas

el jeffe

i'm heading to SLC (driving from ABQ) next month for a weekend. i'll be spending most of my time in tooele but was hoping that some could drop some ideas of interesting places to see and some suggestions for lodging.
i don't mind staying in SLC and driving to tooele.
already came across bohemian brewery - is it worth it?
thanks.

Apr 21, 07 12:05 pm
el jeffe

or ideas - either way.....

Apr 21, 07 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
i.g.lu.s.

i live here and I cant think of any

Apr 21, 07 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
i.g.lu.s.

the library is cool, temple square, conference center, we just got 14 more inches of snow this week in the mountains and Snowbird is still open.

Apr 21, 07 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Library. Definately.

Temple Square. Mormons are lovely people.

Apr 21, 07 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

stop by mesa az and pick up my mom. she loves to go up there for geneology research. i'm sure she can show you some hotspots...

Apr 21, 07 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

that's a bit of a detour vado....
thanks for the info smith-n-n_.

Apr 21, 07 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

geneology?

Apr 21, 07 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
the silent observer

If you are looking for a good place to have a beer, the bayou on state street has a good selection. Just remember the Utah phenomenon of becoming a "member" of any bar.

Weather being what it is at this time of year, I say, take time to hit the canyons. City Creek in downtown SLC is beautiful, and should if you head up, should still be closed to cars at this time of the year. Nice place to take a walk, or if you are into biking, a good challenging ride up.

I'd definitely try and stay in the city, and not in tooele. Stay near downtown, and you can take I-80W out in the morning. There are several places near the entrance to 1_80, ranging from hampton inns to a hilton or such. If you want swanky but expensive, go to the Hotel Monaco.

feel free to ask of any other suggestion, esp. if you are looking to do something in particular.

Apr 22, 07 10:59 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

thanks for breaking your silence.
you've pretty much confirmed by take on it - i'll stay downtown.

Apr 22, 07 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
the silent observer

have a good time...seriously. Having grown up there, I am sentimental about the place. Also, for breweries..Red Rock is a good place downtown, as well as Squatters. Good food as well as microbrews.

For an interesting take on people watching, you can head to the Gateway center. SLC's Lifestyle center of new wave urbanism. I still can't say I love the fact that it killed downtown.

Apr 22, 07 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
wamp

If I was driving up from NM I'd stop in southern ut, namely bryce/zions etc or moab. But I'm guessing your visiting relatives in Tooele, so thats out. If you can swing it the slopes of UT are hard to beat, and very close to downtown. The short strip at park city has decent galleries, bars and restaurants. In addition to gateway and the bars mentioned green street at trolley square is ok, and surrounded by mall stores. If you are a car/race fan check to see if Miller motorsport park in tooele has any events that weekend. all in all ut is known for its outdoors and nature alot more that city life. also jazz playoff game or arena football.

Smith lab I still need to call you, sorry.

Apr 24, 07 8:48 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

thanks wamp.
i'm actually heading up there for the american le mans series race at miller on saturday.
i had noticed that'll i'll be passing thru moab - i think i'll leave earlier than i had planned so i can spend some time there.
didn't think about park city - good one - thanks.

Apr 24, 07 9:51 am  · 
 · 
wamp

Ohhh jealous. I was at the race last year, it was great you'll enjoy it. They let you check out the cars on the starting grid. The track is a great design, I sat on the NE area for a great view at the end of a small straightaway. Some tips: if its sunny, it will be windy, dusty and hot. I'm sure you are used to that in NM so come prepared. Last year I got general admission tics and found a seat in the bleachers. They were not checking tickets, and it well worth the overhead cover believe me. Since its a long race check on the other bleacher areas for different view points, its a large track with much to offer. Have fun.

Apr 25, 07 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

yeah i'm looking forward to it - i had the same thought re: general admission and then trying to slip into bleachers.

i saw the race at laguna seca last october; the accessibility of spectators to the cars and paddock reminded me of the IMSA races i used to see at sears point (infineon) and laguna seca in the early 80's.

i have no interest in nascar and champ/irl for a host of reasons, but foremost is the highly mediated experience of those races that is so boring. you really are better off watching it on tv.

thanks for the track tips.

Apr 25, 07 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

V: Mesa, Arizona..is the Mormon Meca of the desert.

Apr 25, 07 11:09 pm  · 
 · 

spiral jetty in the great salt lake:
how to get there

Apr 26, 07 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

is it still visible - i thought i heard it was submerged now?
thanks.

Apr 26, 07 4:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: