Archinect
anchor

Quick question about an architectural pollution control device...

mightylittle™

i'm wracking my brain here trying to remember this building...somewhere in asia i believe...that has semi-magnetic fins on the exterior that attract particulate matter from the air and holds them in place. over time, they grow like moss and the fins can be removed and cleaned.

i think it's obviously in a high density urban environment. shanghai? beijing? tokyo?

heads up...two beers on me to the first person who names it correctly. esp. if you're in the bay area, then the beers will be paid. otherwise, you'll have to come here and visit for payment.

Apr 20, 07 7:06 pm
mightylittle™

i'm waiting....

Apr 20, 07 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
TED

got it!

two wiese beers up to my flat in highgate please

Apr 20, 07 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

err, uh, people of springfield! i am no longer illiterate!

but i don't get it. forks? tines?

is that a clue of some kind?? and those are totally sporks.

Apr 20, 07 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
TED

no - i just need a couple of more beers ---PLEASE! do you deliver?

Apr 20, 07 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
TED

well, ive been to this building that had a chinese restuarant and the ground level and that attract particulate matter from the air and holds them in place. over time, they grow like moss and the fins can be removed and cleaned.

right?

Apr 20, 07 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

haven't seen any building with moss collecting magnetic fins that require swabbing off.

there are two material that I know of that have 'self cleaning' properties. there is a glass coating from pilkington or saint gobain that reacts with UV and water to shed all dust/dirt that land on it.

the other is an activated concrete that catalyzes ozone/NOx into less reactive gasses. not sure who makes this, try CEMEX or any of the large cement companies.

when it comes to air cleaning- ignore the 'ionic breeze' hype and get hepa filters. also avoid any filter that claims to produce ozone to purify the air- ozone is a pollutant and bad for your health. electrically charged metal fins will collect some dust but not very effectively in an open system - that's called electrostatic precipitation when used in industrial settings. they tend to use higher voltages then safe for architectural settings...

Apr 20, 07 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

no no no. wrong sir!

sorry, no deliveries to highgate. only to berkeley.

Apr 20, 07 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

thanks for the info tk. though not exactly what i was looking fork, the pilkington/saint gobain coatings might be of use to me. any idea what they're made of? are they integral to the glass, or painted/overlayed? can it chip and/or scrape off?

i'm pretty sure the thing i'm thinking of is already in place and is in an open system. i don't believe it was a cement based operation, but more along the lines of electrostatic precipitation.

i'll keep searching. will definitely post image/info if i find out what it is/was.

Apr 20, 07 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

the coating is integral to the glass/baked on metal oxides of some sort. the glass companies websites will have more details...

Apr 20, 07 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
joshuacarrell

Is this what you are looking for?

http://archinect.com/news/article.php?id=48287_0_24_0_C

j

Apr 21, 07 1:48 am  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

no. but that's cool too. this was definitely not an individual product that had an inherent capacity like the tit.oxide in meier's church...but an active system of both static and mechanical components, currents and what-not.

i'll keep digging.

Apr 21, 07 3:13 am  · 
 · 
network

bangkok museum by r&sie... ?

Apr 21, 07 5:45 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: