Archinect
anchor

doin it in 8 hrs

mdler
http://www.livinghomes.net/viewStory.html?id=5

you guys may or may not have seen this...Ray Kappe pre-fab house in Santa Monica.

Video of the erection

Apr 20, 07 3:57 pm
mdler

i was there right when they were finishing it up. The interior finishing was all done after the fact...stuff wasnt lining up, etc...

myth of prefab

Apr 20, 07 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
sparch

8 hrs of erection?
wow!

does anyone know why were there so many people doing nothing?

Apr 20, 07 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

Agreed w/ mdler - where are the windows, electrical, plumbing, mechanical etc?

Apr 20, 07 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

shit works on a flat site in the middle of the desert...but not LA

Apr 20, 07 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

many osha regs violated there even in speedy time.

Apr 20, 07 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
Enigmatic Mind

8 hour erection............sparch. Just my dirty mind, sounded funny

Apr 20, 07 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I';ve seen the house. It's nice, but don't believe the pre-fab hype. They cost like a billion or two.

Apr 20, 07 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

are those throw pillows???

Apr 20, 07 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
TED

arent you supposed to contact your doctor if your erection is over four hours?

Apr 20, 07 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Yeah. Call him and brag.

Apr 20, 07 7:21 pm  · 
 · 

looks nice enough but am still surprised that people keep making a deal over the tech of pre-fab. or at least this form of it.

(yes the roof is finished with photovoltaic cells instead of shingles)

it is standard housebuilding tech in japan and has been for decades. design content is almost zero cuz it is lowest comon demoninator developer tpye of industry, but tech is so common that the companies that do this sort of thing don't even make an issue of construction...and the bits DO line up (Japanese people are very picky about things like that).

design content is much better in the stuff that gets posted in this vein on archinect, but the tech does not thrill me at all. and yet it is treated as though it is new, not an import at all...and not a technology with so much history that the questions of contruction have been solved so long ago it isn't even funny.

the recent work by dRMM however is quite interesting. mass customisation and environmental claims that are simple enough they may even be true...

Apr 20, 07 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Do they orient their houses to maximize sunlight on the panels? Or are they just yuppy decoration?

Apr 20, 07 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

if i'm paying millions for a house, i dun mind to wait a bit longer to make things rite. what's the hurray?? especially in the suburb.

Apr 20, 07 9:33 pm  · 
 · 

I think with prolonged swelling you lose ability to speak if not articulate...I'm not just the president I'm a customer!!

Apr 21, 07 12:06 am  · 
 · 

nah, garpike, i kinda doubt they got the roofs working THAT well, but they do have the entire sky to collect sunlight from, and laws here at the very least ensure protection of solar rights for everyone, so there is no worry of losing the sky. i don't know how efficacious the deal is, but am impressed that the suburban sprawlers are the leaders in sustainability through energy effiency here...solar heaters for water have been ubiquitous since i came here in '92 at least, and now these roofs are popping up all over the place along with ground heatpumps and thermal mass systems (like trombe wall)...they may look shite, but something is happening here without any prodding and while no one is looking too.

Apr 21, 07 3:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: