Archinect
anchor

microstation triforma

sparky

anyone at work using triforma? i have been learning it this summer and really like it, but i was just wondering if anyone out there is using it professionally...any thoughts on its performace versus similar software...

Aug 14, 04 11:04 am
Francisco David Boira

I think you can do a search about this topic. There have been discussions in regards to this software package.
Personally I think it is a great software.
Offices that currently use it (that I know in NYC...in Europe its use is more common)
Grimshaw (they are always struggling to find people that know the software)
Fox and Fowle for example, was using it for their second avenue proposal.
Grimshaw
Polshek
Fox and Fowle
Nbbj
That’s it.
Ps: I do regret that I never quite learned the software myself because I believe that the 2d 3d capabilities are nicely link with each other, whereas auto cad is still trying to catch up with things that Bentley has always included as part of their software since Microstation 95.
Anyways, great software, one of my best friends does incredible 3d work with it and runs quite smoothly.
Hope this info helps.

Aug 14, 04 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

I use it. It has strengths a weaknesses. It's kinda like a swiss army knife - it does everything and works as a whole but doesn't do anything particularly well.

Aug 14, 04 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
Brim

Richard Meier uses both AutoCAD & Microstation as well.

Aug 14, 04 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
Francisco David Boira

Have any of you tried to work at an office that uses microstation but you had barely any experience with the software?
Nbbj tells interviewees that they are pushing for microstation because they want to turn their office to a more ‘3D workflow based environment’.

Aug 14, 04 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
35mm

the power of microstation is insane. i'm coming off 5+ years of autocad with no standards whatsoever (due to small office).
v8 ican handle thousands of reference files. something like 48 out of 50 US State DOT offices use it.

i agree that it's sometimes overwhelming on simpler projects.
but if you have access to a cad team and standards already in place, it can really streamline your workflow.

Aug 15, 04 1:18 am  · 
 · 
Margine

There is nothing more powerful than Auto Cad. I use Microstation, they have their new version V 8 that has incorporated a lot of Auto Cad's concepts. Microstation is icon driven and not real time (when you move a line it disappears until you take it to the next point). It is a cumbersome software and I always wonder WHY a firm will buy this software???? This is when I stop and say: please give me a break!

Aug 15, 04 9:09 am  · 
 · 
Francisco David Boira

...I don’t want to get into the whole micro vs. acad but if I recall V8 only made a lot of those changes so it will be easier to assimilate files and layers from autocad given that acad is the predominant package....besides cad monkey work, microstation 3d capabilities are way superior (even rendering it includes radiosity as part of the package)
If I recall, printing, line weights and snaps are much easier that acad...And they have been around since mid 90's
there’s a lot of this inter phase things that autocad has 'borrowed' from microstation.
For me, I would love to learn microstation because it deletes the idea of having to rely on 3d max (viz) to do the rest of the work.

Aug 15, 04 9:54 am  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

Francisco - I think you're giving it a little too much credit. It can't replace max. Also, the radiosity and particle tracing leaves a lot to be desired. V8 is the first edition that incorporated Boolean operations which is pretty mind blowing. We were using SE for a while and I had to learn how to build everything without union, subtract etc. You're fighting the program if you want to do anything with curves but it will do it if you talk nice.

I don't know about the not real time comment. It sounds like you're having a refresh problem not inherent in the software.

Aug 15, 04 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
oregon

Margine is correct, Microstation does not auto-refresh, which is completely ridiculous. I once had a professor tell the students of a Microstation class that many CAD programs do not auto-refresh - which is of course true if you are only talking about microstation.

Also the whole boolean thing AG has pointed out is pretty hilarious. Microstation is not as amazing as people say - I use it everyday and i long for the day when i can use AutoCAD again.

Aug 15, 04 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
Francisco David Boira

Ok I really can't compete with you guys because I barely spend any time with either of these software packages. I guess I am a little biased due in part to my personal frustrations with AutoCAD during my undergrad years-which I still carry up till this day.
This next Fall I have to take Building Systems 2 (lots of acad work and 3D). The work is produced by teams of 3-4 students in order to put together a full pack proposal for a small building.
I’ve promised myself not to volunteer for the 3d work and put up with the cad work.

Aug 15, 04 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

microstation is seemless from 2d to 3d... if it had key in commands, I would never touch autocad again. for rendering something with that good old fashioned computer feel, microstation will do it quickly with little prep time in lighting and materials. If you want something with hardcore realism though, you gotta bring it into Max or Viz and go to town.

Aug 16, 04 1:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: