Archinect
anchor

Jobs in other cities

optimus_prime

Within the next year I would like to move back to my hometown city. I have a few leads on contacts and I'm wondering at what point I should start actively pursuing them. My thought was to take them out for lunch or coffee when I'm in town visiting my family just to lay a foundation and get to know them prior to actually applying for jobs. I don't want to start the process too early, but was wondering if anyone else has done this and what your timeline was.

Aug 31, 12 6:18 pm
mdler

its never too early to establish relationships...as for coffee, many firms may be too busy to go out for coffee or lunch

Sep 1, 12 2:53 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

forget coffee, go straight to tequila shots.

during the recession I too briefly ended up in 'hometown'. help came from most unlikely of sources. so try to diversify. and liquify. liquored up friends spill beans faster. 

Sep 1, 12 10:45 am  · 
 · 

You shouldn't hesitate to make the connection.  Once upon a time I did something similar.  Met with a firm over a holiday break.  At their office but rather casual, I talked upon my plans, they talked about theirs, I showed them some of my work, they showed me around the office, etc   Pretty much an interview but not really since there wasn't any job on offer at the time.  But some months later, out of the blue, I did receive a job offer from them and this did facilitate my move to the city.  So, yeah, it can happen.

Yo!

Sep 1, 12 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
optimus_prime

Thanks for the responses. I probably wouldn't be able to meet with the firms until Christmas, I guess I could just let them know that when I am in town I would love to meet with them.

Sep 1, 12 4:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: