Archinect
anchor

A Kansas boy in New York

pzuro

I was recently accepted as a transfer student to Cooper, and will be moving to New York this fall. I aim to avoid the dorms at all costs, and was wondering if any Cooper/Columbia/Pratt people knew where the best place to look for apts near the Village would be... the cheaper the better.
I wouldn't be opposed to living in Brooklyn either. also, i know that none of my studio credits will transfer, but does anbody know how stingy Cooper is in giving credit for classes such as Statics and Strengths, Arch Hist, etc.? Any feedback about credits and general student life in New York would be much appreciated. I am just a simple suburban Kansas boy, and I imagine living alone in New York is going to be something of a challenge... balancing studio and life was hard enough at KU.

Apr 19, 07 12:38 pm
lletdownl

you're making us kansas sound weak.
you'll rock new york cause midwest is where its at
which suburb are you from

Apr 19, 07 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin
NYC housing thread

. Started by me and mostly about my own search for housing, but it seems like a number of people are moving to NYC this year, so it should be helpful to all.

Apr 19, 07 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

i have a friend that lived in kansas his whole life and then moved to new york for architecture school...but not pratt or copper or columbia...it was NYIT :-( he still lives in new york but dropped out of school for money issues...long story - crazy kansan's - good luck!

Apr 19, 07 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

go john brown on their asses.

Apr 20, 07 9:49 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

i, myself, know a john brown.... he always seems to be at every single house party i attend...

Apr 20, 07 11:21 am  · 
 · 
glasshouse

dyou know where the cooper union dorms are? jump on that man...consider yourself lucky to even have that as an option.

Apr 20, 07 11:33 am  · 
 · 
sloring

rock chalk, jayhawk, F*CK KU!!! [seriously]

i graduated last may from kansas state university and am now working and living in nyc. honestly, try and not get intimidated by it, i work with people who graduated from yale, columbia and harvard and while they're good no doubt, i feel like i can hold my own. we midwesterners have something that most east coasters lack...work ethic! you'll do great, and while it will be overwhelming at first, you still get used to it and pretty soon you won't believe how intimately you will know the city. i live in astoria, queens, but i know lots of people who live in brooklyn, if you go to cu it wouldn't be much of a commute from there and brooklyn is where all the hipsters who can't afford to live in the les live. it's a good place for an up and coming architect to spend his or her time.

where in ks you from? [i'm a good old joco boy, it doesn't get more suburban!!!}

Apr 20, 07 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i was born in indiana and i fucking hate to work.

Apr 21, 07 7:52 am  · 
 · 
moratto

Damn, I was going to start the Kansas boy in Los Angeles thread.

Who likes to work?!! I just think that we, midwesterners tend to work hard because we didn't spend a small fortune on our degree.

Apr 21, 07 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Some of us who are from the Great Plains consider Indiana to be in the East, vado.

Who knew there were so many Kansans on archinect?
Ad astra per aspera, my friends.

Apr 21, 07 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
pzuro

sloring

small world. i too am from joco. sms to be exact. and thanks for your lenghty post... i am now ready to whoop some east coast ass.

Apr 23, 07 3:31 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

sms eh...

olathe south represent...

Apr 23, 07 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

I'm holding it down from the South just fine.

Makes for an interesting office dynamic when you throw down the random southern draw....

Rep where you're from, the only people who try to become a NY'er and forget about their roots be frontin' ass hoes.

Apr 24, 07 12:43 am  · 
 · 
moratto

Are you Don Imus?

Its inevitable that a new location will affect you, just be careful in what manner it does.

Apr 24, 07 2:34 am  · 
 · 
Murrye

i'm with ya, JohnProlly. as a southern transplant to NYC, i find myself wishing i had a southern drawl (i consciously made a decision long ago to get rid of it, knowing i'd get out someday). it's a novely here, and people love it.

Apr 24, 07 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Because I grew up on the beach, I have more of a surfer-dude accent than anything... I do however have friends here who have full-blown southern accents.

Still, it's a great part of the country to come from.

Apr 27, 07 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

I LOVE the southern drawl. Just saying.

Apr 27, 07 5:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: