Archinect
anchor

LOT-EK coming to Chinatown!

Entasis79
silverlake

hmm, the building seems to be crooked...

Apr 18, 07 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

and purple

Apr 18, 07 7:48 pm  · 
 · 

is that a chinese letter too?

Apr 18, 07 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

It's like the (even uglier) step-sibling to Tschumi's Blue on the Lower East Side.

Apr 18, 07 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

You better watch what you say about Blue.

This just looks like another failed attempt at Lot-ek actually producing built work. They can't even detail a shipping container. How are they going to detail a highrise?

Apr 19, 07 12:54 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Where does the airplane go?

Apr 19, 07 1:17 am  · 
 · 

thats cold JP (even though I agree)

Apr 19, 07 1:26 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

i dunno, its kinda funky

Apr 19, 07 1:35 am  · 
 · 
bothands

funky bad, funky good?

Apr 19, 07 2:02 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

funky either or? I dunno, its just a wierd building. I kinda like weird buildings, but i can see why others may not like this one per se.

I like the variation in the facade, but the shape seems so arbitrary. What the hell is it trying to respond to? Or is this just another building with an ego?

Apr 19, 07 2:49 am  · 
 · 
Gabe Bergeron
Apr 19, 07 9:43 am  · 
 · 
postal

damn, gabe, you beat me...

i was gonna chime in with a "suck it, pisa!"

Apr 19, 07 9:48 am  · 
 · 
Gravitas

It's a hell of a lot more interesting than the dog shit that's currently in chinatown.

Apr 19, 07 10:26 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

just curious (even though I can only already imagine) but we are talking about Chinatown in NYC correct? is there a contextual image here (of that locale)?? just wondering - cause to me it is always about the context, good bad or indifferent

Apr 19, 07 10:42 am  · 
 · 
Entasis79

Yes, Chinatown NYC, sorry Squirrelly. I should have mentioned that in the post.

Apr 19, 07 11:04 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

no worries, thanks......but wondering if anyone has (or has link to) a contextual image of chinatown

Apr 19, 07 11:13 am  · 
 · 
silverlake

It reminds me of the awful Johnson Burgee towers in Madrid. At least his wasn't purple and have shipping containers crammed in it...

Apr 19, 07 11:46 am  · 
 · 
Entasis79

In all honestly though, what is the actualy possibility that LOT/EK will get something built??? It seems like I am always seeing these renderings of LOT/EK stuff (and it is usually incredible) but it never happens.
I give it a 15% chance!

Apr 19, 07 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
standaman

zoning?

Apr 19, 07 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

and..if i'm reading the map right..they photoshopped the above
picture and they're cutting through an existing building.

is it really legal to cantilever over the property line?

Apr 19, 07 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
Israel Kandarian

only if you buy the neighbor's air rights - see the porter house building in the meatpacking by shop.

Apr 19, 07 7:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: