Archinect
anchor

China's Bubble Building for Olympic Water Sports

Enigmatic Mind
Enigmatic Mind

if this is not innovation, I don't know what is....

Apr 18, 07 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

here's a pic from the link above...sitting adjacent to HdeM's main stadium.

Apr 18, 07 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
Enigmatic Mind

He mightylittle how'd you upload that pic?? I tried

Apr 18, 07 3:30 pm  · 
 · 

From far away it looks boring (see shot above), but the closer shots where you can see the materials are gorgeous..... I can't wait to see real photos once its done, to see how accurate those models are.

Apr 18, 07 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

yeah here's hoping they can translate this to the real thing ..

and Enigmatic - right-click on image, view 'properties', copy image location, paste into archinect, do the [img] thingy, blah blah blah

Apr 18, 07 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

EM - right click on the image at the original location, choose COPY IMAGE LOCATION, then follow the image posting below...should look like this

[***]paste your link info here[/***]

but replace the *** with img and you should be all good.

on large images, place a space and then width=480 immediately after your link, and then the closing brackets, that'll help it fit into archinects column width.

good luck, and always preview before submitting!

rationalist - i totally agree. looks boring from above, but the detail renderings are tight. this is a place i'd like to see built too.

Apr 18, 07 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
AP

during the summer of 03 i visited the firm in china that is working on this project. i think it was a combo chinese/australian company...
anyway...

they gave us a thorough presentation of the project, including the bubble technology, which is pretty fascinating, and certainly innovative. Overall, I think it's an elegant skin...nothing wrong with a nicely done box. That said, when they showed the project's animations, many of us were underwhelmed. Most of the interior spaces could've existed in any old aquatics complex. Not sure if they innovative structure/skin helped the interior space. guess we'll see...

Apr 18, 07 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
mental

i actually visited the site and saw those bubble assemblies in person. They also had a very detailed scale model that you could lift the bubble enclosure off of and see the interior, pretty cool, but the renderings look way better than it is going to in real life. they also have to constantly pump air into those bubbles to keep them filled at a precise pressure.

Apr 18, 07 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

yeah AP...this isn't exactly innovative interiors..

Apr 18, 07 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
mental

that rendering is deceptive......i really remember any spaces that open inside the enclosure.

Apr 18, 07 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Found some photos on Flickr.

Apr 18, 07 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
mental

i think that buiding is really cool without all the bubbles, but with the structure for them. there is just something about unfinished buildings.

Apr 18, 07 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
mental

Hey AP, just looked at your bio, it seems i did the hong kong / china program the year after you.

Apr 18, 07 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

a few years back i had a prof. who was crazy about ETFE... wanted students to use it as much as possible as he was sure it was a material far under utilized. We often speculated during that time, when ETFE would begin to see use in horizontal applications... this was a few years back... postal was involved he can vouch for our forward thinkingisitude.

as for the maintanence of pressure in the etfe... yes, you do have to adjust and maintain certain pressure levels in the cushions, but that is a small price to pay for how unbelievably flexible they are.
for instance, if one were to deflate the etfe pockets, the insulative properties decrease, allowing more heat to escape on particularly hot days... the opposite is true... if one were to over inflate the pockets, the insulative properties increase thereby trapping more heat on cold winterdays. Pressure within the etfe can also be increased to improve its structural capabilities, so one may chose to spend more energy to increase pressure in the ETFE on cold snowy days to keep the interior warmer and allow for increasing snow loads. But they can also chose to save energy by deflating the pillows in the summer when loads on the roof are minimal.

Apr 18, 07 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
AP

correction - summer 2004

construction image...

PTW - the aussie firm that designed the aqautics centre.

aquatics centre construction pics via flickr

related...

Apr 18, 07 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
AP

ooops. dubK posted the aquatics flickr link already...

Apr 18, 07 4:20 pm  · 
 · 

Somehow that construction image looks less real than the renderings and models... when did that start happening?

Apr 18, 07 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

that's still pretty cool.

Apr 18, 07 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

those Flickr photos are great..I especially like the one with the bamboo scaffolding..the mix of technologies

Apr 18, 07 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

the bubble building has been very popular in asia for long while, everyone likes it when visit there... unfortunately, not broadcast much in other countries... I didn't know it was by PTW until now, since Discovery Channel only interview ARUP for the bubble building and Herzog for that silly/ugly... bird nest stadium (is even worst when u visit the site).

Apr 18, 07 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
upside

ding

Apr 18, 07 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
sparch

rendering -> wet water
real life -> dry water

Apr 18, 07 10:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: