Archinect
anchor

Orange + Maroon Effect

WonderK

April 20th is the (8th) anniversary of the Columbine shootings.

Apr 18, 07 10:50 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

i can't believe that when i was down there a month and a half ago i didn't pick up a t-shirt. hopefully they'll be selling ribbons or rememberance stickers soon.

i do believe i have some type of orange shirt somewhere, i'll have to dig it up.

Apr 18, 07 10:50 am  · 
 · 
+i

i'm looking into making some ribbons for people to wear on friday here in my office- because being in a firm, most people can't wear the t-shirts or sweatshirts... and some may not have orange + maroon.

Apr 18, 07 11:37 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

good call +i ! very good idea

Apr 18, 07 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
+i

show your support

Apr 19, 07 8:57 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

i went to Michael's last night and picked up the perfect colored orange and maroon ribbon spools. i also got a black spoool, i'm making a bunch tonight to give out tomorrow. just stop in at your local craft/fabric store and i'm sure you can find something to work with if you don't have an orange or maroon shirt.

Apr 19, 07 9:00 am  · 
 · 
+i

The governor of VA announces "Day of Mourning" on Friday, April 20th ...

http://www.governor.virginia.gov/

RICHMOND – Governor Timothy M. Kaine has declared Friday, April 20, 2007 a statewide day of mourning for the victims of Monday’s tragedy at Virginia Tech.

On Friday, Governor Kaine will participate in an interfaith prayer service in Monroe Park on the campus of Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond. He has encouraged other communities in Virginia and across the nation to hold their own simultaneous ceremonies and participate in prayer services, beginning with the ringing of bells at noon, eastern daylight savings time.

“As our Commonwealth begins the long and difficult healing process, I am filled with images of a Virginia Tech community that is resilient and unified,” said Governor Kaine. “I ask that everyone in Virginia pause at noon on Friday to offer prayers of support for the victims, their families, and for all those affected by this tragedy.”

The Richmond prayer service will take place at Monroe Park, Belvidere and Main Streets, and will begin at noon, eastern daylight savings time.

Apr 19, 07 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

bad color shot, but it looks great in real life.
my handiwork on a fellow employee's sweater. i'm making a bunch more tonight.

Apr 19, 07 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
+i

very nice

Apr 19, 07 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

i made a bunch last night and passed them out this morning at my office. a VT alumni i work with let me borrow a t-shirt of hers to....

always remember, we are all hokies today

Apr 20, 07 9:44 am  · 
 · 
+i

very nice, eca

Apr 20, 07 9:56 am  · 
 · 
med.

Thank you all for the support. We really need it at a time like this.

It's funny. Throughout my grad school experience, I often took my Hokie pride for granted. I did undergrad at VT's rival school and grew up in that town and we always bashed the Hokies in sports (they always beat us). I never once dreamed I would be a student there but it ended up happening and it turned out to be one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life. But I never fully realized that. Here I was in this vibrant university full of intellegence, friendship, compassion, and intellect that offered me everything ... And I still took it for granted. Virginia Tech made my dream of taking my architectural knowledge to the next level and working as an architect come true ... But I still took it for granted.

And then, sadly, the unthinkable happens and I could never be more proud of being a part of the Virginia Tech community. It took something of this magnitude to realize that I felt like this all along.

Apr 20, 07 11:55 am  · 
 · 
nambypambics

Archmed I'm glad you are continuing to post here. I hope you find some support both here on Archinect. I am wearing orange/maroon today in support of you and your community, and have you especially in my thoughts.

Apr 20, 07 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
+i

just received this as a message from ACSA on behalf of Virginia Tech from the Arch Dept Dean
*(ACSA= assoc of collegiate schools of architecture)

Dear Friends,

On behalf of the College of Architecture and Urban Studies at Virginia Tech, I want to thank you for your heartfelt thoughts and prayers following the horrific tragedy on our campus. Your messages of hope and solidarity are of critical importance to our faculty and students.
The environment here is most surreal, particularly with the ever present media and significant sadness felt by our colleagues and students in an otherwise pristine environment. The quiet embracing nature of Blacksburg may forever be changed, but with the support of our friends we know that as Elie Wiesel says, "human goodness carries its own reward." As educators, we can not lose the faith in the value of our professional bodies of knowledge as contributing to the betterment of the human condition.

Forgive us if we don't respond immediately to your well wishes. We have many tasks we have never had before. I want to extend a warm welcome should your travels bring you to Blacksburg and show how we, in time, will prevail.

I hope you will choose to join us in a moment of silence for the remembrance of the victims today. At that moment, you will be one with all of us.

Best Regards,

Jack Davis, FAIA
Reynolds Metals Professor and
Dean

Apr 20, 07 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
+i

and a letter from VT to University of Virginia (VT's biggest rival):

Letter to the Students and Administration of the University of Virginia
Date: April 17, 2007

On behalf of 30,000 students, administrators, and our Virginia Tech community, I cannot begin to express our gratitude for the outpouring of sympathy, support, and compassion UVA has shown us in the past two days.

It is an understatement to say the aftermath of our losses has been emotionally trying for us. The realization of losing 32 valuable lives in our Virginia Tech family is something that we are trying desperately to recover from...but even in the most difficult day of Virginia Tech history, we have found strength-it is your university in particular that has sustained us, far beyond what you will ever know.

We thank you for your students and faculty that gathered to memorialize our victims and to share in our sorrow.

We thank you for the initiative and commitment your student government made towards finding 30,000 candles for our grieving campus, so that our student leaders could focus on healing and comforting instead.

We thank you for the hundreds of Hokies who saw your painted bridge, and were moved to tears.

We thank you for the way your students instantly put aside our infamous rivalry to the point where the greatest measures of compassion from another institution have been from you.

Your aid has had such a profound impact upon our students. Please know what UVA is doing is being noticed, is making a difference, and is nothing short of extraordinary.

Thank you for being a testament to the best of collegiate student leadership-and to humanity in general. In what we have been calling the darkest night Virginia Tech has ever seen, you are one of our brightest lights. The strong alliance that has been formed between our school and yours is part of our foundation in moving forward.

From our hearts to yours, thank you for your noble efforts. May you also find solace and restoration as we grieve together as students and as a nation.

In or out of times of need, Virginia Tech will stand beside you as fellow students, Virginians, and most importantly, as friends.

With gratitude,

Elizabeth Hart on behalf of Virginia Tech students
Virginia Tech Student Government Association
Director of Public Relations
[email protected]

Apr 20, 07 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
+i

UVA has set up a memorial fund for Virginia Tech called "HOOS for HOKIES" (UVA is the wahoos aka "HOOS")

you can make a donation here:

https://www.kintera.org/AutoGen/Simple/Donor.asp?ievent=231784&en=lkITK0PKLjITK7OOKgIZJfOULfJRK9MXImJ1KlP6E

Apr 20, 07 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
+i

[img]http://cuz.cx/pictures/main.php?g2_itemId=2479[img]

Apr 20, 07 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
+i

ugh, just a picture of the "beta bridge" painted "HOOS FOR HOKIES" that was referenced in the VT letter

Apr 20, 07 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

i screw it up sometimes to, but theres the right way.

i think i know the photo you're talking about, very awesome stuff.

Apr 20, 07 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

VT love from work today

Apr 20, 07 1:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: