Archinect
anchor

Arch Student at Virginia Tech Univ.

Nevermore

We have unconfirmed reports here that an architecture masters student from Mumbai , India , alumni of Rizvi College of Architecture ,Mumbai died at the shootout at Virginia Univ.

Archmed, Cowgill, If you guys could kindly confirm the news.

Apr 18, 07 1:57 am
Nevermore

* P.S--- Her Name was Minal Panchal.

Apr 18, 07 1:59 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

(News Just in ) ,She was killed.

God Bless Her Soul and Family.

Apr 18, 07 2:23 am  · 
 · 

my condolences go out to her family and all those affected.

Apr 18, 07 2:29 am  · 
 · 
outed

that's awful news. condolences to her family.

we had an intern here a couple of years ago who is attending v.t. right now. he's fine - was simply in lockdown for several hours, but otherwise unscathed. scary moment for us as we saw the story unfold.

just absolutely tragic and needless.

Apr 18, 07 8:54 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Grant them eternal rest, Lord, and may light perpetual shine upon them.

Apr 18, 07 9:13 am  · 
 · 
Leanie

HI
I live in South Africa and we have 16 exchange students on our campus from Virginia Tech.
My condolences to them and everybody who lost somebody in the shootout

Apr 18, 07 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Unfortunately, it is true.

I knew her too and was just talking to her on friday about work, architecture, jobs, the profession, India etc etc. Her name was Minal Panchal. She was an international student studying Building Construction in Cowgill Hall. She was shot and killed in Norris Hall taking one of her Environmental Sciences Classes with Dr. Loganathan who also was murdered.

Minal was a very kind individual who was a little shy but very humble and talkative once she was engaged in conversation. She had excellent and eloquent communication skills and architecture was her not only her passion but her way of life. She wanted to be an architect since she was very little to follow in the footsteps of her deceased father. She was just getting ready to complete her first year in the MS program after completing her Bachelor of architecture degree in Mumbai. I first met Minal in Washington D.C. interviewing with the same firm I was interviewing with. She ended up landing many offers and picked up an excellent job and was getting ready to intern there.

There is a memorial set up in Cowgill Hall right now in her memory. Students took her desk and make it a memorial in her honor.

I'm very sorry to bring you this news. But please keep her in your thoughts as your friend and fallen colleague.

Apr 18, 07 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh my god. Seeing the faces of those killed on TV/etc. has been difficult, but this news is breaking my heart completely.

Bless her poor family. I hope they can remember the good things about her and find some peace.

Apr 18, 07 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Man, its almost like losing a sister...

Apr 18, 07 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
med.

I feel the same way... And I hardly knew her before DC...

Apr 18, 07 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

it is amazing how this profession automatically includes each other into a sort of family, met or not. Archmed, my condolences, and I hope you archs are handling the news as well as you can. I remember when a friend of mine in undergrad died in his sleep from a insulin shock, and the whole arch department was mortified. I can't fathom what losing a fellow peer to such a horrific situation feels like.

Apr 19, 07 7:29 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

: ) Archmed. My condolences once again.

I never knew her personally or ever met her even.
The only connection I have is that my college was a km away from hers in Mumbai and also she was two batches junior to two of my very close colleagues at work.

The world is a very small ( and if I may add ) painful place.

There was a memorial service for her at her college today in Mumbai.

well, Life goes on :)

Apr 19, 07 8:07 am  · 
 · 
Jonas77

a loss of life cause most evidently by the gross inadequacies in the society where rich people were able to act with impunity almost towards him and other poor immigrants of color growing up that led to his mental state, a mental state that was with out proper care and treatment at that.

yet another sign of the medical system in americas failure as well as a highlight on the disparagy between rich and poor, as well as illiberal gun regulation.

a mater of privilege, industrial complex, medical neglect and even racism/xenophobia.

it is sad that any have lost their life but i am offended at the "bless soul god" remarks, that is uncalled for, keep it to yourself, it only leads to more war to push the terms that are intrinsically lies ever since the enlightenment, I understand it may be cultural but still that is private matter not one to rave on.

Apr 19, 07 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

i love how national tragedies just bring out the crazies on this website, or bring the crazy out of normies.

Apr 19, 07 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
mental

jonas, who's side are you on. it sounds like you are defending the murderer of all those people. and i will say god bless their souls until you finally grow up and eat some meat. im sorry if this sounds like an attack on you, but what is your deal, people were murdered and society is not to blame, the fact that the murderer was poor and was extremely jealous and couldnt contain his emotions enough is no reason to blame anything on the government or society. yes his condition was overlooked by someone, but you cannot blame everyone for someones mistakes or you are just as superficial as those you claim to be against. get a clue dude

Apr 19, 07 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
jackalope

Jonas77, you clearly are culturally out of touch with this forum. Leave those opinions for another time/place, as you sound like a psychopath troll.

Apr 19, 07 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
cvankle

Jonas just a completely inappropriate and ignorant post. Oh and by the way, freedom of religion and speech is just a tiny part of why this country was founded, whether you feel saying "God bless you" is a lie or not doesn't mean someone has any less right to state it on a public forum.

I am beginning to regret the media covering the murder's videos and writings after the fact. It is creating the exact effect he wanted and will make it that much harder for those involved to find any peace in the matter. My thoughts are with all those that were effected by this tragedy.

Apr 19, 07 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Jonas, I have an idea. Try being at the university right now and see the mass devastation that our campus is dealing with right now.

You're totally out of touch with reality.

Apr 20, 07 2:28 am  · 
 · 
med.

And Jonas I also think that you wouldn't have the gall to go up to one of the victims' family members and repeat that tangential bag of absolute drivel.

I believe that Cho's "cause" is null and void and his mission was an appalling failure. A majority of the world is on the side the victims and not his. The entire community came together and celebrated the lives of the victims. Somewhere along the way, Cho's obsession with "social cliques" caused him a serious intellectual accident compelling him to be nothing more than a mental suicide compelled to repeat the same idiotic and boring formula over and over. And for that reason he caused himself and only himself to be cast aside into obscurity and people found it unfathomable to associate with a person with a pathology a thousands times more terrifying and savage than they would even dream of.

Apr 20, 07 2:44 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

our fallen sister:

Apr 20, 07 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Apurimac, thanks for posting Minal's picture here - I meant to do that earlier today and never got around to it.

Just heartbreaking. So awful.

Apr 20, 07 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Oh man I just read this.

Horrible news. So unfair...

Apr 20, 07 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

for those interested, we've been talking with staff and students at VT and at Minals' undergrad school in Mumbai. There are thoughts to set up a fund in her name, or to direct funds to the Hokie fund once it allows you to donate towards a particular person.

I'll keep you updated early next week.

Apr 20, 07 10:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: