Archinect
anchor

Google sketchup vs Hand sketching

dzuy

hi all,

so this is more of a product / industrial design question.

as i'm delving into that world, every product designer seems to stress the importance of hand sketching and communication ideas quickly.

with sketchup able to do just that and then some, is it really that vital now?

really interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

thanks!

Apr 17, 07 5:00 pm
charlatan

In my experience, hand sketching is much faster than modelling something in sketchup. If speed is a factor, which often it is in brainstorming sessions and the like, then hand sketching wins. I can certainly see places where both would be useful, but I wouldn't learn sketchup in order to forego sketching by hand.

Apr 17, 07 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
themarqes

There is no substitute to knowing how to hand sketch well. I like hand sketching more than any computer program because I think it gives the image so much more life, which is really important in industrial design.

Apr 17, 07 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
n_

true that, hand sketching will always rule over any computer program in terms of speed. (keyword: sketching)

Apr 17, 07 7:28 pm  · 
 · 

hit the sketch tool and no well know the difference ('cept us we'll keep the secret)

wait

instead, scan your sketch, photoshop them and make um look like sketch-up no one will know the difference ('cept us)

wait

learn them both damnit

Apr 17, 07 7:58 pm  · 
 · 

hand sketching, definitely. Part of the reason is that you not only need to produce an image quickly, but it needs to be something that you are not infatuated with. You need to be able to throw it away and do a new one in two minutes and not mourn the loss.

Apr 17, 07 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

you'll have times when you're out and about and want to convey an idea quickly with no computer handy. gotta know how to sketch...

Apr 17, 07 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

in my experience Sketchup does not yet have the capability to create the geomety you normally need for industrial design, mmm nurbs curves compex surfaces, etc

sketchup's tools are still sort of "conventional" architecture oriented

the lines and surfaces that you can generate by handsketching are still the most direct connection to your intentions, stick to that for ideas &
when you get it right, then try to make the accurate model with a Rihno Maya type tool

Apr 17, 07 9:27 pm  · 
 · 

sketchup and handsketching are completely different: like lemons vs. spaghetti sauce.

Apr 17, 07 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
binary

sharpies

Apr 17, 07 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
dzuy

well i guess that settles that!

yah, i'll be taking an intro sketching night class at art center, so i can see what this sketching business is alll about.

Apr 17, 07 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I liked Sketchup a lot better when it was just called "Sketchup"...Not "Google Sketchup!"...so awkard now.

No ones says Autodedk AutoCAD or Graphisoft ArchiCAD...

Anyway, drawing by hand is really important , blah, blah, blah...

Apr 18, 07 12:04 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

....oh yeah, I forgot..Graphisoft was bought by Nemetshek..or whatever they are called..

From now on I am calling Nemetsherk ArchiCAD...

< & Autodesk Ribbit!>

Apr 18, 07 12:07 am  · 
 · 
belle

you've got to have both, no doubt about it.

yeah in a meeting you've got to be able to communicate quickly by sketching, but with skup you can produce a really quick massing model/animation and print multiple views (making it look like a hand sketch if you really want to). in our office we use both techniques regularly to put together very early ideas for jobs we are not yet getting paid for...

Apr 18, 07 8:59 am  · 
 · 
Jonas77

vs Penuin vs Brazil

Apr 18, 07 12:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: