Archinect
anchor

Blogging

Leanie

Hi everyone

I was wondering how this blocking thing works and if anybody have considered getting students form Africa to join in???

Apr 17, 07 2:27 pm
THEaquino

Blocking refers to pieces of wood or other material that run between wall studs in order to provide support and attachment sites for mounted hardware such as cabinets, shelving, or bathroom towel bars. Fire blocking is used between stud to curb the spread of fire in the wall cavities. Blocking can also be used to curb bowing and bending in long members such as joists and rafters. You can usually just toe nail it into the studs.

At least that's my understanding of how blocking works and what it's for.

Apr 17, 07 2:32 pm  · 
 · 

come on, the guys' admitted he's from another country, English probably isn't his first language, so give him a little break.

The way I understand it, archinect doesn't ask people to blog for them, each year before the start of school they hold an open call. Anyone interested emails them with where they're going, why they want to blog, etc. I'm not sure whether they actually tell anyone 'no' at this point or not, maybe someone else can clarify that? So if you want to blog, stick around and let them know when the call for bloggers goes out.

Apr 17, 07 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, what a dick, huh?

anyway, leanie, why blog here? why not start a blog on google blogger?

i'd be really interested to see what your perspectives as a student in africa are!

unfortunately, it's a part of the world many of us are ignorant about.

Apr 17, 07 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

tumbles and I are going to start a photo blog...

Apr 17, 07 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Must you pollute every thread?

Apr 17, 07 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

thank you chili!

mdler, you and tumbles are "cute" in a way (actually starting to get sickening), but do you really need to post irrelevant shit into every thread?

isn't that why the "love affair" thread was started?

Apr 17, 07 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

our love is spreading into other threads

Apr 17, 07 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

tumbles

you getting sick?

Apr 17, 07 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

You two are getting as bad as vindpust. As soon as I see one of your names on a thread, that's sign enough not to bother reading it.

Apr 17, 07 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah it is getting really old really fast

Apr 17, 07 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

the mdler/tumbleweed thing aside, you guys are killing me BTW....I'm sorry if I came off dickish. I was just trying to be funny on a not so funny day.

Apr 17, 07 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, i suppose calling you a "dick" was rather harsh.

i understand aquino. i'm also still kind of in a weird mood since yesterday.

actually, kurt vonnegut (i've felt lately that everything can come back to kurt) wrote that laughter was a perfectly appropriate response to tragedy.

while the allies were fire-bombing dresden, destroying the city, vonnegut and his fellow pow's survived by staying in the slaughterhouse.

as the bombs fell,one of his fellow pow's quipped "i wonder what the poor people are doing tonight?"

Apr 17, 07 4:22 pm  · 
 · 

aquino- no worries. Sometimes people around here can be pretty harsh on each other, and just wanted to spare some guy on his fifth post that may not even know English very well from ending up with one of those threads that just bash on the person for like 50 posts.

Apr 17, 07 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I have Mexicans do most of my blocking

Apr 17, 07 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

I like when they write essays though. It's so nice when the essays write back too.

Apr 17, 07 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

ha ha ha ha, that was a great south park episode!

Apr 17, 07 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

scissor me xerxes!!!

Apr 17, 07 4:43 pm  · 
 · 

blocking in some places actually means several things

blocking - as in to hoard or keep safe (building site)
blocking - as in formwork, especially when said is supporting cantilevers, or projections.

Apr 17, 07 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

YES I would love to read some student bloggers from Africa!!! Leanie, do you have contacts that could help that happen (following rationalist's advice above to hang out and watch or the next student blog call for applications - probably in fall?)?

Apr 17, 07 4:51 pm  · 
 · 

leanie - i'd love to see a student blog from africa, which part are you in? Its a bloody BIG place [continent]. If you were looking for something else ... professional interest i'd love to lend a hand. I have my own blog - search name online

Apr 17, 07 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

he/she's from Denise Scott Brown homeland... at least that's what his/her 'Nect profile says

Apr 17, 07 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
Leanie

BLOGGING!!!!!!!!!

Apr 18, 07 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
Leanie

yes, south african, but not from denise scott browns university, aparently she was a hell raiser on campus, dot into a lot of trouble and led a bunch of strikes etc.

No im not english so blogging or blocking whatever!

Thanks for the defense Rationalist!

Apr 18, 07 2:46 pm  · 
 · 

so what is your blog going to be about?

Apr 18, 07 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
Leanie

Its south africa, its on the other side of the world from where you are, and its a interesting place.
I wanna see whats the difference between studying here and studying in the US.

Apr 18, 07 2:58 pm  · 
 · 

great mate, but i'm not in the US

Apr 18, 07 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
Leanie

so where are yoy from

Apr 19, 07 2:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: